Muzzy backpack hunt

Hey guys I drew a bull elk muzzy tag in Colorado. It is in a wilderness area and I plan on backpacking in for up to a week. Have any of you guys done this before? I am trying to figure out how many reloads, etc to take while still being lightweight. Also, guess I will have to pack my breach plug wrench incase I run into an issue, what other tools do you recommend?

My main concern is dealing with moisture and would be interested how you guys would handle this? I got a modern inline so I am going to have it loaded up with the exception of the primer which will keep the weapon safe until I am ready to fire. Do you guys put electrical tape over your muzzle? What other precautions should it take in regards to moisture?

garrenj

FNG
I typically tape my barrel with Electrical tape.

For backpack hunts I carry 6 speed loads and generally pack a whole can of caps. Although I've never used more than two loads, I have had caps fail. I am in Oregon though so we have a little stricter rules than Colorado I believe. I usually only carry a nipple wrench with me, in addition to a bullet puller. If its wet out I'll typically pull the bullet every couple days, fire out the powder and reload. Just makes me feel better I guess.

Good luck with your draw!!

IAHNTR

WKR
I would look into Blackhorn 209 powder. I used it last year in my Knight and it worked great. From what I've read on modernmuzzleloader.com many guys will keep it loaded throughout the season, but keep it in a place where the temp. is relatively consistent to avoid condensation (like not bringing it into the house after being in 20 degree weather all day). I would definitely take a breech plug wrench and extra bullets/powder, they don't weigh very much, so I would take plenty. If you fall with it you might have to check zero again.

Mike P

FNG
Muzzy

Just to add to what has been said above...

- 6 speed loads is what I tend to pack as well and a couple dozen caps. Also leave more powder and bullets and caps back at the truck too...just in case :)

-don't bring the gun in the cabin or tent or trailer depending what you are staying in...condensation will be an issue for sure...I have made that mistake before :(

-I normally carry my breach plug wrench and nipple wrench as well. No bullet puller cause I have a knight and can push the bullet out instead

-tape on the barrel for me as well

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
If your gun will take the shotshell primers or small rifle primers, use them! Colorado allows them and they will be the best protection against misfires. Your odds of a wet gun are very high on that type of hunt.

Even then, if you are camped in an area where you can shoot the gun without ruining your hunt, I'd fire it every few days, especially if you've been rained, snowed on. Or pack CO2 so you can "fire" the gun without the noise.

You likely won't have a woodstove in your tent, so no way to warm the gun up so definitely keep it dry.

Gordon Kahnke of Kahnke Gunworks brings his muzz in the cabin every night and warms it up by the stove????? He says he never has a misfire????? Counterintuitive, but he should know. Probably not an option on your hunt, so keep it dry.

I'd take 10 loads or so. Might drop your gun and need to shoot it back "in". Might hit a bull in the hock and be on him a few days with more shots, often quick and inaccurate.

You're going to love that hunt. I've hunted Colorado early deer in the backcountry during that season and if you can find the elk, it could be a blast. One year, I spent 4 days about 8 miles in looking for bucks. Saw bulls every day, rut was on. Zero hunters. I get back to the trailhead and it's crawling with hunters and two of them were flabbergasted that I'd seen elk in the unit. They'd been there almost a week, had been hiking miles per day and had seen some elk turds.

You may have to move around to find them, but what a fun hunt. Might take a few years to put a bull on the ground but he might be a dandy, too.

Best of luck, take lots of pics and share your adventure on here. Are you going solo?

philw

Lil-Rokslider
I do that hunt pretty much every year and drew an ES tag again this year. If your rifle has a breech plug then you're using 209 primers most likely, so no problems there. If your breech is enclosed and you keep electrical tape on your muzzle, you shouldn't have any problems at all. I've hunted for days in the rain like that and never had a problem getting the rifle to fire. Five or six speed loads is about right. Besides the breech plug wrench, I'd bring a T-handle and a cleaning jag for your ramrod, and some thin copper wire that'll pass through your flash hole in case you need to clear it. Also some of the little oil-impregnated wipes by Birchwood Casey that come in a foil pouch. You can use those to wipe down the rifle, and as patches for the bore. Bring a few cotton patches too. If you use F/O sights, and have an extra set, you may want to at least have them in the truck because they can break.

Other than that my advice for hunting in a new-to-you wilderness area is to be prepared to move around a lot. Designated wilderness tends to draw people, including outfitters, and you never know where their camps are going to be until you get there.

Good luck!

FURMAN

WKR
This is great information. I am going on my first backcountry muzzle loader hunt as well. I had not considered something to clear the flash hole.

muleman

WKR
I do a muzzleloader backpack hunt every year for deer. Here couple of tricks we have come up with over the last dozen years or so. Use a a party balloon as a barrel condom. They seal better than electrical tape and don't leave a residue. They are also cheaper and don't tear as easy as the black "ballons" sold at gun stores.

Another trick is to have a spare ramrod. While it has never happened to me personally; people have been known to shoot their ramrod when buck fever hits you during a reload. The last several years we have not packed one in, but always have it and full muzzy kit left at the trailhead.

philw

Lil-Rokslider
This is great information. I am going on my first backcountry muzzle loader hunt as well. I had not considered something to clear the flash hole.

If you can't find thin enough copper wire, go to a fly fishing shop and get a spool of the copper wire used in fly tying, that'll work. I tried balloons for a muzzle covering, but depending on how much space you have between the muzzle and your front sight, sometimes they don't work very well, not enough space to stay on the barrel. and not nearly as tough and durable as electrical tape. If you use tape, just use two strips, one that covers the muzzle and extends down the barrel an inch or so, and another wrap around the barrel that covers the first strip and holds it on. Then wrap a few more strips on the barrel near the forend so you're never without tape, like this:

DSCN1452.jpg

OP
T
Thank you for the advice guys. This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

I have a 209 inline and yes I am going to use Blackhorn 209 with magnum primers

Robby, my brother is going with me and I will definately share our experience and pics on here whether we successful or not.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Glad your bro is going- more eyes, more encouragement, can hunt harder, "Two are better than one" the Bible says.

Can't wait to see your pics, etc.

God bless your hunt.