Muzzle brake - worth it?

Having a suppressor on your rifle hangs up a lot more in brush and trees while strapped to your pack and turns into a dirt scoop when the rifle is in your hands. Not to mention adding another pound or more to the rifle.

From my perspective, It’s hard to justify their use for a single shot or two while hunting.

I’ve shot suppressors for over 17 years on bolt and gas guns. There are a number of applications where they’re of value. Hunting in the mountains or on foot, with your rifle strapped to your pack or in your hands, isn’t one of them.

If hunting in timber possibly not. If sitting and glassing for a shot a suppressor is a no brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Devin

FNG
does it shoot the same? i saw about a 3.5" shift in POI at 100yds with the brake i put on, so taking it on and off for range/hunting isn't a practical solution

i was intrigued years ago with the brake on some savage rifles that you could turn off and on... no clue on how well that concept works, but i did like the idea of it.... must not be ideal or we would see more of them... if there was a good brake that worked that way, i would probably consider a brake on most of my rifles.

i think the first time i shoot a rifle with a suppressor will be the beginning of a spending spree, i do think they are likely game changing.... no downside besides a little weight (some pre planning can mitigate that) a wait, and the cost..... i do think all of those things are very much worth the function though
It shoots the same regardless of brake on or off. And I hadn't even thought about that being an issue until you brought that up. But it makes sense. I'd like to try a suppressor.

Having a suppressor on your rifle hangs up a lot more in brush and trees while strapped to your pack and turns into a dirt scoop when the rifle is in your hands. Not to mention adding another pound or more to the rifle.

From my perspective, It’s hard to justify their use for a single shot or two while hunting.

I’ve shot suppressors for over 17 years on bolt and gas guns. There are a number of applications where they’re of value. Hunting in the mountains or on foot, with your rifle strapped to your pack or in your hands, isn’t one of them.
That's why I run a 16-18" barrel behind my suppressor..
It's literally been a game changer hunting suppressed, and an overall barrel length of 25-27" is more than acceptable in every scenario I've hunted in.
I have long range killing ability to 900 yards, stupid light recoil, very little noise beyond the sonic crack, and the rifle weighs 8lbs scoped with a 9" can attached.
To each their own though

That's why I run a 16-18" barrel behind my suppressor..
It's literally been a game changer hunting suppressed, and an overall barrel length of 25-27" is more than acceptable in every scenario I've hunted in.
I have long range killing ability to 900 yards, stupid light recoil, very little noise beyond the sonic crack, and the rifle weighs 8lbs scoped with a 9" can attached.
To each their own though
What cartridge and bullet are you shooting? What is the bullet’s muzzle velocity?

Last edited:

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a rifle this spring with a brake and for a heavy recoil round it seems really light. I have yet to shoot it without ear protection and don’t want to. I haven’t really thought about what to do in a hunting scenario yet. Suppressors are not legal in 2 of the 3 states that I hunt or I would go that route.

Rover31

FNG
I’ve never shot a braked gun but have recently been considering it. I bought a 6.8 western that came with a radial brake included. I haven’t shot the gun yet but I’m wondering if the recoil reduction from the brake is worth the increased sound?
Depends on the brake and your hearing pro.

Bigdave

FNG
Classified Approved
I like them, I use electric hearing protection.

I like self timers so I can take them off and re zero after load development.

Choupique

WKR
I dont like them on hunting rifles. Took 10 shots off the bench today with my ~8.5 pound .338 win mag and my eyeballs are still in tact. They just aren't necessary on normal rifles.

Unckebob

WKR
I am going to find out how a Savage Radial brake performs on my 6.5 CM.

The donor brake came from another rifle where I immediately pulled it off. Got it cerakoted Burnt Bronze for $20 to match my rifle barrel. I am probably going to use this rifle to train my daughter on.

WRO

WKR
I dont like them on hunting rifles. Took 10 shots off the bench today with my ~8.5 pound .338 win mag and my eyeballs are still in tact. They just aren't necessary on normal rifles.

Can you spot your shots with that much recoil?

MattiG

FNG
Maybe it's just me, but I actually like my brake better on lower recoil cartridges. On my 6.5cm a brake means it is truly capable of spotting shots, easily.

On my lighter 300wm, I'm gonna get rocked either way, so why bother with the brake...

Choupique

WKR
Can you spot your shots with that much recoil?

No, at least not at 500 yards and in. Thats as far as i ever shoot.

It bucks it's way out of the bags, and you kinda have to let it do that. If you don't give with it a little bit it starts to suck pretty quickly. You have to learn how to shoot it but now that I have, it's not bad at all. Totally worth it for the extremely loud WHACK you get when it rocks the shit outta the plates.

I’ve never shot a braked gun but have recently been considering it. I bought a 6.8 western that came with a radial brake included. I haven’t shot the gun yet but I’m wondering if the recoil reduction from the brake is worth the increased sound?
I have quite a few rifles with brakes and some without (6.5 Creed to .300 Rem Ultra Mag), a lot in between). Are brakes loud? Yes, can confirm (have permanent tinnitus in my right ear from shooting a coyote with a .300 braked Weatherby). That said, do they reduce recoil to a point where one can actually practice and not develop a flinch? Yes, can confirm that as well. Would I put a brake on a 6.8 Western (assuming the rifle didn't come with one)? No. Would I put one on a .300 Weatherby? Yes. As always, puts and takes, always depends on the unique variables you have. I put a brake on my children's 6.5 Creedmoor, and they wear ear protection. It reduces the recoil so they can shoot that rifle very well and not flinch.