muskox hunting and caliber used in your hunts?

medvedyt

WKR
hello,

was wondering for any of you that has been successful in that hunt will it be in Canada, Alalska or Greenland which calibers you used?

thank you very much.

mnydir

FNG
Use whatever your guide has. I wouldn't waste baggage fees on bringing your own rifle. That way you can bring home more meat if you go the Canada route.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I apply every year in AK and havnt gotten it yet. In the event I draw it, I’ll take a 30-06 with a silencer, shooting a 180g partition.

Last edited:

Stalker69

WKR
We were up in the northwest territories, fishing. And the guides shot a caribou with a 22-250. They said they shoot everything with it. We did get to film a herd of muskox, but they didn't ( couldnt) shoot one. They said when they can, that is what they shoot them with. Crazy thing is, the scope was just electrical taped to the rifle, one round, and guy had polio when younger and shook pretty bad. He made a perfect shot on a caribou about 250 yards from us.

OP
M

medvedyt

WKR
that is why i asked what you guys as hunters used for:

here is the regulations for NWT:

FiReaRMS and aMMuniTion
All licenced hunters when hunting big game in the NWT,
you must use a .222 or larger caliber ammunition to hunt
wolf and wolverine. To hunt wood bison, ammunition
must not be less than .30 caliber. When hunting polar bear,
ammunition producing less than 2,800 joules of energy shall
not be used. You may use a .243 or larger calibre to hunt other
types of big game.
For the purpose of hunting big game, rim fire ammunition
is illegal.
Ammunition containing non-expanding bullets, steel-jacketed
bullets or tracer ammunition may not be used for hunting.

in the Yukon it is the same and before the ban a lot of people used the 223 in mini14 to get caribous while the minimun is set up for the 243 as in NWT ....

Sled

WKR
A stick bow and a knife worked on Alone. Can't remember if that was Canada or Alaska though.

Sled

WKR
that is why i asked what you guys as hunters used for:

here is the regulations for NWT:

FiReaRMS and aMMuniTion
All licenced hunters when hunting big game in the NWT,
you must use a .222 or larger caliber ammunition to hunt
wolf and wolverine. To hunt wood bison, ammunition
must not be less than .30 caliber. When hunting polar bear,
ammunition producing less than 2,800 joules of energy shall
not be used. You may use a .243 or larger calibre to hunt other
types of big game.
For the purpose of hunting big game, rim fire ammunition
is illegal.
Ammunition containing non-expanding bullets, steel-jacketed
bullets or tracer ammunition may not be used for hunting.

in the Yukon it is the same and before the ban a lot of people used the 223 in mini14 to get caribous while the minimun is set up for the 243 as in NWT ....

I still can't figure out all the new bans/rules in Canada. Didn't they ban everything over 2,800 joules?

If your rules are 30 cal then you should be fine with any modern chambering from the last 120 or so years (I'd avoid the blackout though).

OP
M

medvedyt

WKR
I still can't figure out all the new bans/rules in Canada. Didn't they ban everything over 2,800 joules?

If your rules are 30 cal then you should be fine with any modern chambering from the last 120 or so years (I'd avoid the blackout though).
no they are more clever than that lol: they banned every caliber that can reach 10000 joules at the muzzle but also 1500 kind of ar15 and semi auto they did not like including the mini 14 of course ar15 and ar10 but forgot i do not why the tavors and type81 or sks ... but they will come after them but that will be harder to find as those ones are non restricted. (remember once they konw what you have it will be confiscated ...) they banned as well the purchase of handguns or even the possibility to trade among people. 1st of september it will be harder and more complicated to purchase as parts a barrel ...

OP
M

medvedyt

WKR
i was thinking a 308 or a 30-06 will work perfectly and worked on bison even if i prefer bigger caliber but was wondering what other used.