Mule Deer VS White Tail - taste differences, what's better

Depends on what they have been eating. A mountain whitetail tastes a lot different than a field fed deer. The same is true about mule deer except mulies tend to end up eating sage brush and that definitely makes their meat taste quiet strong.
I have found this to be 100% correct. Field fed Midwest deer taste almost like grass fed beef because they are eating almost the same thing. The mulies I have gotten have been around sage brush and definitely came thru in the meat.

We did a tenderloin taste test. WTD, Mule deer, Elk, Pronghorn

All room temperature, salt/pepper, wrapped in some bacon, put on smoker at 450 degrees, until 150 degrees internal temperature.

Regarding your question, with our taste test, mule deer and WTD have the exact same venison flavor but the mule deer flavor was stronger. If WTD was 4/10 on flavor the mule deer was 6/10. BUT the flavor characteristics were identical.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
The WT we kill on my place in MO are some of the best. Mostly farmland and wood lots. They eat a lot of corn, milo and soy beans. The WT we got on our place in Northern WI were not as good. Sage brush mulies can be a bit strong. A few mountain mulies were great.