Mule Deer hunting during this historic heat wave?

So, I am going rifle hunting this weekend with a buck mule deer tag in the high desert mountains East of Bakersfield, CA.

Am relatively inexperienced, and when I was planning on going this hunt months ago, I thought going deer hunting in early October would be great.

Now, there is record breaking heat that is going to last through the weekend.

At the lower elevations in the unit the highs will break 100 and the highest elevation I can hunt in is only about 7,500ish' so it will still be pretty warm during the day up there.

I'm suspecting the deer will probably not only be less active during the day, but maybe just basically be nocturnal during the high heat.

Kind of thinking this trip is going to be just more of a scouting/hiking trip for me, but if anyone has advice on how to best hunt for deer during a record-breakingly hot October I'd appreciate it.

Calbuck

WKR
Historic heat wave? Sounds like political rhetoric. The deer will be in their classic patterns. Do your work and you will or will not find them. Don’t bring politics to hunting..it’s not well received.

maxx075

WKR
Historic heat wave? Sounds like political rhetoric. The deer will be in their classic patterns. Do your work and you will or will not find them. Don’t bring politics to hunting..it’s not well received.
Don't bring politics into hunting.... Proceeds to bring politics into hunting.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
You’re the only one in the thread who brought up politics so far. It’s not well received.

Calbuck

WKR
Well I don’t give a shit if it’s
Well received. It’s there. “Historic heat wave” is a leftist statement if I ever heard one. Regardless of your pansy ass statement, the deer/elk will do their thing..and you have to figure out their movement and adjustments. Lighten up there, political analysts, we’ll be ok.

jimh406

WKR
Coolers and ice. Do find out how to skin, remove legs, etc to fit in coolers.

If it's like most places, the temperature can very a lot throughout the day. Early AM or late evening would probably be better than the hottest part of the day. Of course, deer don't move as much during the middle of the day, so probably would work itself out.

Calbuck

WKR
Reality is, if you kill a buck and hang it in high
Temps, as long as you keep flies
Off and it cools at night, you should be good. I’ve hung deer for several days in these conditions and not had any problems.

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know anything about California deer, but down here (South Texas) temps are often at or near 100 in early October, the deer still move in the morning and evening, but the window of daylight activity is definitely reduced in high temps.

Bugger

FNG
Well I don’t give a shit if it’s
Well received. It’s there. “Historic heat wave” is a leftist statement if I ever heard one. Regardless of your pansy ass statement, the deer/elk will do their thing..and you have to figure out their movement and adjustments. Lighten up there, political analysts, we’ll be ok.
Ma’am, this is a Wendy’s.

Bugger

FNG
Sorry to offend you Wendy’s folks. I’m not much for bullshit but call it when I see it. Climate change bs is my triggers
Not everything that stinks is shit.
If it sets a record that’s been held since they started tracking it, it’s historic. Nobody said anything about polar bears and hurricanes. He’s got a legitimate question about how to salvage a hunt from unfortunate weather. Been there, it sucks.

Calbuck

WKR
Not everything that stinks is shit.
If it sets a record that’s been held since they started tracking it, it’s historic. Nobody said anything about polar bears and hurricanes. He’s got a legitimate question about how to salvage a hunt from unfortunate weather. Been there, it sucks.

I stated my answers to the issue. The animals
Adjust
And do their thing. You gotta figure that out. It’s not unprecedented to have a hot season. Figure it out. That’s all I can add. But when I see the talking points of a political speech in a post, i react. Good luck everyone in your hunts..TRUMP 2024