Mule Deer Days

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Mule Deer Days was a recent event in Rock Springs, Wyoming, hosted by the Muley Fanatics Foundation, Wyoming, game and fish, in partnership with Monteith Shop. I attended along with. @ntrlbrnhunter

It was a conservation event, but what was different about it as we had direct access to some of the research biologists who’ve been working on the D. E. E. R. Research project by Monteith Shop. We recorded some podcast while we were down there with the presenters, and I’ll be posting them here over the next few weeks. Hit the watch button upper right, as I’ll be posting them on this thread and you’ll get a notification.

It’s also scheduled for next year in March so if you can get to Rock Springs…

Seminars we attended:
E4E109FA-B927-456E-8AD6-7FC8E70F005C.jpeg38CCCE5B-EC43-4AAE-BB7A-227F32F52D88.jpegD2431924-5CC4-4950-94B7-145E688D4A7E.jpeg54CBB3FE-877F-4601-9F9C-A49EC5666B68.jpeg
@Jaden Bales

I’m glad we went @robby denning 👊🏻

It was a very cool event and a great opportunity to ask questions and learn from some of the best mule deer scientists in the game- The Monteith Shop.

I also appreciated Wyoming Game and Fish having some seminars and talking about securing mule deer migration corridors. Some of the information we are getting out of GPS collar’s regarding migration is game changing and it pleases me to see Wyoming very engaged and pro-actively working on these corridors in a variety of ways.

I also have never attended an event where they gave a live seminar on field quartering and caping deer. That was cool!

A very informative, cool event. I’m definitely planning to return next year!

DA453FF9-BA1D-46EF-B8E9-F56E2E220F20.jpeg

CorbLand

WKR
3 more? Could you all hurry up and post them. They make work tolerable.

We also need to know how long Travis has been growing that wind checker on his chin for?

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
Age and Nutrition grow big bucks. There are NO genetics, genetics come from nutrition. Finally all the work and convincing is coming to fruition.

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely. It’s very interesting how deep rooted the “genetics” argument is in hunting culture.
It really is stark. It is something, in my opinion, that should be corrected because it has a direct focus on quality of habitat and not just saying it's the deer in that area when in fact it's the nutrition inside the habitat and the ability to survive 4+ years within that quality habitat that give that area a better quality animal.

Fatcamp

WKR
Did I miss it or did they talk about antler size and genetics?

I got that they were talking about the weight of does based on feed.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did I miss it or did they talk about antler size and genetics?

I got that they were talking about the weight of does based on feed.
They talked about how the nutrition of the mother at birth played the bigger role than genetics.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I really enjoyed this podcast. It is nice to see some of this information getting passed along to hunters, and giving us an opportunity to increase our education about mule deer herds.

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
There’s been quite a few studies done in the whitetail world about how important the health of the mother is during pregnancy through nursing and how that directly effects antler growth of her sons. The best way for a doe to get and stay healthy is through quality habitat.

It’s been mentioned awhile ago that the whitetail guys are decades ahead of the mule deer guys, but I think we can definitely learn from them.