Mule Deer Bachelor Groups

QuickTrigger7

Lil-Rokslider
Bow season opens for mule deer in just a few weeks. Ive been out scouting and finding alot of bachelor group bucks which is the norm(where I hunt). However, i recently found a spot where its loaded with particularly larger deer then the area usually produces. The deer have not been grouped up, they are almost 900-1500 yards apart when ive seen these deer. They tend to be ghost's. Wondering if anyone else has any experience or thoughts on this type of deer behavior.

Reactions: Guy
I think it all just depends. Seen some old grandpa bucks that hang out with the young bucks all day, seen some that like to bed alone, and some that run with one or two other bucks. Gotta think there's some personality traits that make different bucks do different things.

TaperPin

WKR
At one year we came across an old buck with a funny drop tine, and a younger 4x4 deer with the exact drop tine, and a normal young 3x3. At least the older two were related.

Normally I see two or three old bucks and maybe a young deer tagging along. The 3x3’s that hang out with the girls are off our radar.

huntnful

WKR
I don't think there's much thought to be put into honestly. Bucks everywhere just to different things. And older bucks just do whatever they want it seems. Doesn't always have to be a theory behind it IMO. I killed a big 8 year old buck that running with 6 small young bucks. And killed a couple 7 year olds that were by themselves. Different states, different terrains and different densities. They just do different things from what I've seen.

ahansel

FNG
I've seen the larger bucks be 400 - 800 yards away from groups of smaller bucks. And it's not just the larger bucks, but older bucks (like older 3x3s or 2x3s who are mature, just don't have 4x4 genetics).