Mtb riders

4rcgoat

WKR
Looking for a good mountain bike forum similar to this. I'm looking for somewhere to talk riding,and buy used good quality bike parts. Any ideas?

Not sure about their forum but pinkbike is a descent place to buy and sell from. I have sold and bought frames, complete bikes and wheels here. The one bad thing is it’s riddled with scammers so you really have to be cautious and judicious if buying or selling.

acmcgaha

FNG
Look for local MTB Facebook pages. We have a small MTB community where I live; however, we have multiple For Sale pages and an active member page. Also, 2nd or 3rd (whatever number I am) Pinkbike classifieds.

OP

4rcgoat

WKR
Thanks for the replies fellas. Was an avid rider 20 years ago, archery and fly fishing kinda took over. Been looking at bikes lately and am blown away by the advances. Last bike I bought was a 2000 schwinn Moab 1 ( little brother to the homegrown). Want to revive it a bit with new forks and a 1x drive train and keep it around.
Took a look at Pinkbike,that's what I was looking for,can't say I like the name (Canada ehh). Saw some stuff on ebay that might work. I look extensively at the Denver Craigslist for used bikes,some great deals.
For reference, back when I was riding a lot the house hold names were Hans Ray,John Tomac,and the wild child Shaun Palmer.

I wouldn't worry about brand. You'd be surprised to know than many frames bearing different brand names come out of the same manufacturing plant. Generally speaking, bikes at similar price points have similar stuff hanging on them. On an MTB, I'd look at the shock, fork and rims closely. That's where some companies may want to cheap down a part relative to the competition. 29" wheels make a huge difference in tractability over the 26's that were common when you last rode. If you can do basic set up on your own, you can do good for yourself ordering online. You may also want to look at used bikes. a lot of the people that bought bikes during the covid rush are probably selling them now.

Wideback

FNG
Would love to,my folks live just outside Sedona,was thinking of renting a high end bike for a day and doing some riding down there,maybe get a chance to ride some different rigs to help narrow down a brand of bike.
Sedona is one of the best places in the US to ride. Many people like it better than Moab. There are multiple shops there that rent high end bikes. I seriously recommend knee pads and elbow pads...those rocks are very hard on skin and you're no spring chicken anymore.

OP

4rcgoat

WKR
Sedona is one of the best places in the US to ride. Many people like it better than Moab. There are multiple shops there that rent high end bikes. I seriously recommend knee pads and elbow pads...those rocks are very hard on skin and you're no spring chicken anymore.
Yeah....spring chicken I am definitely not, but I spent my entire childhood riding BMX and motocross, that passion never goes away.
I saw that there is a big mountain bike festival there in Sedona at some time of year,might check that out.
I'll probably join the ebike band wagon someday,but for now I like to pedal.
Still a huge hardtail fan,although these big squishy bikes look like fun to bust through the rough stuff.

GMann

FNG
Would love to,my folks live just outside Sedona,was thinking of renting a high end bike for a day and doing some riding down there,maybe get a chance to ride some different rigs to help narrow down a brand of bike.
Sedona is such a fun place to ride! Check out Thunder Mountain Bikes. They have a great rental/demo fleet and have been very helpful on both my trips to Sedona. They routinely sell their demo bikes, too. https://thundermountainbikes.com

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

6t4nova

WKR
Come ride The Palisade Plunge next year, it’s a hoot. View attachment 489737

Epic ride for sure! I used to live in GJ and rode all around there!

As for MTB forums, I'm no help there. I frequent Pinkbike when looking for upgrades and rely on local FB groups for ride talks/info.

Don't forget to check Pawn Shops for bikes either. I picked up a Santa Cruz Megatower C a few months back for $2K and the bike sold new for over $5K.

Wideback

FNG
Yeah....spring chicken I am definitely not, but I spent my entire childhood riding BMX and motocross, that passion never goes away.
I saw that there is a big mountain bike festival there in Sedona at some time of year,might check that out.
I'll probably join the ebike band wagon someday,but for now I like to pedal.
Still a huge hardtail fan,although these big squishy bikes look like fun to bust through the rough stuff.
I grew up riding hardtail as well, so i can understand, but would recommend 130-150mm travel full suspension bike for Sedona and general trail riding. Biking is good for the soul...you wont regret getting back into it.