MT extra rifle question

Hello, I am hoping to head out to north central Montana for an elk/mule deer hunt in October as I drew a general unit tag. I am either taking my brother or brother in-law alongside with me and have gathered enough equipment for them as well as myself. I've been to this unit or close to it before. Their is hardly any reports of grizzlies and barely any wolves. Just black bear and mountain lion. Both of them have asked if they could take a gun along even though they will not be hunting or have tags. It would be impossible to get a pistol permit by then so it would have to be a rifle. Does anyone know if that is legal? To me, it sounds like asking for trouble honestly but if it guarantees they come than I will try to figure it out. I could use the help packing out if I get something.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Racer00

FNG
Montana is pretty liberal (in a good way) with gun laws and carrying. My understanding is you can carry a firearm any time for any reason. Might suggest , if you want a gun for safety, that you take a shotgun. Better in close for bear protection and if you have a small game license, you might find a grouse or two to supplement the meal options. Good luck

JMDavies

WKR
Montana is pretty liberal (in a good way) with gun laws and carrying. My understanding is you can carry a firearm any time for any reason. Might suggest , if you want a gun for safety, that you take a shotgun. Better in close for bear protection and if you have a small game license, you might find a grouse or two to supplement the meal options. Good luck
I agree. You can also check the regs regarding coyotes.

If you think there are no grizzlies, why the need to carry a rifle? Also, how do you know the area you are going to hunt doesn’t have grizzlies? If you’re hunting a National Forest in Montana, most have had plenty of sightings and reports, even those that never did until the last 5 years. Seems they’d be better off with bear spray. Plus, if they don’t have tags but are carrying a rifle, you’ll be asking for questions and issues if you run into a warden because they will ask, bet money. Especially if they’re wearing orange. If they’re not wearing orange but are packing a rifle around, don’t be surprised if someone sees you and calls a warden to report you. Happens every year. Just my two cents!

bsnedeker

WKR
+1! Have them buy a hunting license so they can have fun too!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

bruno59

WKR
right in the regs page 24 resident or nonresident do not need a license to hunt coyote,skunk,badger,raccoon,red fox,rabbits,squirrels,prairie dogs unless you hunt on state school trust lands then you would need a conservation license or state school trust lands recreational use license so i think they would be fine carrying a rifle

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with those saying bring a shotgun for self defense.

I also think it’s silly to belittle someone or say there is no need to worry about black bears and lions. I’ve hunted in areas sans grizzlies, and we’ve done it without a carry weapon. We’ve also had dicey late night tracking and pack outs that would’ve had me hiking more confidently if I’d had more than a bow and four days of stink for self defense. No harm in a gun if the extra weight isn’t a concern.

Wapiti1

WKR
So, MT law allows carry of weapons if you are engaged in a recreational activity. Hiking is one of those. Just having a rifle isn't a violation of the law.

HOWEVER. If you shoot something and they also have rifles, you may get a ration of shit from the warden. Proof of who shot it is a tough one to prove. It's all fine until an animal is shot. I'm not talking at the check station. I mean if you are checked in the field.

If you are hunting where I think you are, and are not on the RM front, they don't need to carry anything. There are no resident grizz, and wolves don't want to eat you or them unless you sweat bacon fat. There are transient bears through the big/little belts, and big and little snowy's. But they don't stick around. Most depart by mid-July when the mating season is over. They are usually young males looking for love. Not sure if you are interested in that, I don't judge.

I agree with others and my advice is to outfit them with shotguns and slugs. I understand the handgun issue in NY. That would be ideal, but have them carry something that is as obvious as possible they are not big game hunting.

Jeremy

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
You do not need a pistol permit in Montana. The only place you would need a concealed carry permit is inside city limits or in your vehicle on public roads, IF the pistol is wholely or partially concealed by clothing.

If they want to bring a handgun for protection they could do that no problem. Just don't carry it concealed in town or driving to and from your hunting spot.

ETA: just saw that you are from NY and the permit issue is on your state's end.
For defense a shotty with some brennekes would deal with anything Montana has to offer. If they want to pop a coyote a rifle is in order. Just make sure they pay the state trust land access permit if you end up hunting those.

OP
TonySkyline
So, MT law allows carry of weapons if you are engaged in a recreational activity. Hiking is one of those. Just having a rifle isn't a violation of the law.

HOWEVER. If you shoot something and they also have rifles, you may get a ration of shit from the warden. Proof of who shot it is a tough one to prove. It's all fine until an animal is shot. I'm not talking at the check station. I mean if you are checked in the field.

If you are hunting where I think you are, and are not on the RM front, they don't need to carry anything. There are no resident grizz, and wolves don't want to eat you or them unless you sweat bacon fat. There are transient bears through the big/little belts, and big and little snowy's. But they don't stick around. Most depart by mid-July when the mating season is over. They are usually young males looking for love. Not sure if you are interested in that, I don't judge.

I agree with others and my advice is to outfit them with shotguns and slugs. I understand the handgun issue in NY. That would be ideal, but have them carry something that is as obvious as possible they are not big game hunting.

Jeremy
Yes sir, planning on the little belts or that general area anyway. I know further west into the Lewis & Clark their definitely is Grizzlies but I didn't think their was in the Eastern little belts/Judith basin area. I've heard of possible tracks/sightings by campers over the summer but nothing definitive. I'll have my rifle or bow with tags. My brother will have a spotting scope and camera but wants something for self defense I suppose. He's never been there and if it gives him reassurance (and he doesn't mind the weight) I'm all for it if it's legal. I was thinking shotgun as others have suggested so a warden would clearly be able to tell a rifle bullet from shotgun slug.

OP
TonySkyline
I know a pistol would be ideal and trust me I've tried for 10+ years to get one to finally just getting a letter saying I was denied because I forgot to put a fist fight I had in my
Late teens on my permit application. Ridiculous is an understatement as I have a squeaky clean record and even paid for a background check to make sure nothing popped up (nothing did). NY does blow. Yes indeed, but at least I'm in upstate in a rural area far away from the city. Sucks that the little island screws up everything including taxes and voting for the rest of the state. Anyway, off topic but I thought I'd throw that in there. I'd love to move out west or mid west but that is not in the cards until my boys get older (have 1 child with ex and I have attempted to get her to move.... not happening). So do you need a permit in Montana? Could my brother rent a pistol somewhere? Lol. That just sounds dumb, nevermind. I'll tell him to bring the lightest shotgun we have.

bsnedeker

WKR
Yes sir, planning on the little belts or that general area anyway. I know further west into the Lewis & Clark their definitely is Grizzlies but I didn't think their was in the Eastern little belts/Judith basin area. I've heard of possible tracks/sightings by campers over the summer but nothing definitive. I'll have my rifle or bow with tags. My brother will have a spotting scope and camera but wants something for self defense I suppose. He's never been there and if it gives him reassurance (and he doesn't mind the weight) I'm all for it if it's legal. I was thinking shotgun as others have suggested so a warden would clearly be able to tell a rifle bullet from shotgun slug.

I've run across grizzly sign in the belts for sure. I pretty much assume they are everywhere in mt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
TonySkyline
I had a bear come under my stand in the dark when i was there in 2018 at an outfitter. I thought it was an elk and I all I had was my bow. They dropped is off at stand or blinds like an hour before the sun came up and something came through snapping big sticks and breaking small trees. Sounded like a heard of elk. When the outfitter came to get me he asked how big the bear was and pointed out the fresh tracks. Lol. I just didn't think their was grizz over there because the guide said their usually wasn't any. He was probably saying that to me cuz I was the only one in camp without a pistol on my hip. They did say they've had close encounters with mountain lions and black bear so I just assumed he meant it was a black bear that came through. Now I wonder. Haha.

Wapiti1

WKR
No, there are no permitting of firearms requirements in MT. If you are performing an recreational activity, you can even carry concealed without a permit. Open carry is, for the most part, legal anywhere that it is not posted.

That said, you will drive through Illinois on your way. Firearms need to be secured in a location that isn't accessible. Unloaded, ammo stored in a separate location. It easier if you don't speed in Illinois and avoid getting pulled over for any reason.

Jeremy

MThuntr

WKR
I don't see any reason for them to carry anything. Most guys aren't capable of using a pistol even at the range let alone be effective in a stressful situation. Bear spray would be a better alternative to the novice user. A shotgun would be nice to shoot grouse with but at that point you're just chasing the elk and deer away and that is the true intended target.

Sevens

WKR
Does your BIL and brother hunt? Assuming so, but if they don’t and they’re just there for the experience and are afraid of bears, not sure I would want them carrying a gun.

On the other hand, if a rifle is the only way to get your pack mule - I mean brother - to join, guess he’s just a backcountry coyote hunter.

OP
TonySkyline
Hahahaha. Yeah my Bil hunts and my brother does not. I’m taking 1 or the other and it’s looking more like the in-law (who is more of an outdoorsman). We will 100% be flying unless the virus somehow ruins that. I’m paying for the plane tix and letting him keep some of the clothing I’m getting for the trip so it’s a good payoff for him as well, new puffy, Sitka gear, etc... also he is a very very good fly fisherman so he will repay the favor by getting me on the salmon and steelhead . I think he just wants peace of mind that he has his own protection. He understands he won’t be shooting anything unless it’s literally mauling us... he will also get some meat out of the deal also so it’s a win win. No way will I be able to pack out an elk by myself. I mean possibly but I highly doubt it unless i shoot it on day 1 or 2. Gonna start training when I get boots and pack but last time I went to MT, it took me a solid 3 days for my lungs to adjust and that was at about 7800’ . We will probably be higher this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk