MR vs Kifaru, Stone Glacier shoulder straps

MR sawtooth/beartooth with Guide Light MT Frame. With weight (30lbs up) it is good on the hips but the shoulder straps are either in my armpits too much or I have to tighten the sternum strap so tight it is not comfortable. I have tried messing with the tension on the straps and the torso length but just can not get them comfortable. I have dealt with it a while and I am looking at getting a new pack. It does also seem a little low on my tailbone when the rest of the belt is in a good spot though that is less of an issue.

Have any of you dealt with the same thing and found Kifaru or Stone Glacier worked better for you? I only mention those two brands as I can get them locally so return etc are easy.

The Ark straps are the most comfortable I’ve used yet. Seem to contour perfectly and have the exact right amount of cushion.

I am a huge MR fan/user. I have tried most of the other brands and I always came back to MR. Here is what I have learned over a decade or so of using their packs…
1-go a size smaller than what you think you’ll need. This applies to both the yoke and the waist belt.
2-wearing the waist belt just above your hips helps with mobility in the thick stuff.
3-wearing your waist belt high also helps from getting the circulation cut off in your arms from the shoulder straps.
4-snug up the load lifters, don’t overdo it or it will cause discomfort.

I hope that helps, but the reality is that not every pack fits everyone the same way. You might have to go to a different pack.

OP
D
Thanks I will play with it some more. I should have gone smaller. I don’t have much room left to shorten the pack. The arm circulation is my main issue.

Last edited: