MR Longbow with the Nice Frame Question

team3t

WKR
I just got into a MR Longbow with the Nice Frame. Have used it only on some workout hikes but looking forward to it serving as my daypack on my elk hunts this fall.
I have hopes of using it to pack meat out with the bag attached. I would like to put a quarter between the bag and Nice Frame. My question is do you own the pack and have you packed meat out as described?

My concern is there is no sling on the bottom of the nice frame. Can you tighten the meat down tight enough between the bag and frame without the meat pushing through the bottom? Is there a sling method you use?

Thanks for any advice. I used the KUIU Pro last fall packing meat out in the same fashion. The pack performed well. Just trying another pack this year.

You can put meat behind the longbow just pull top off frame or you can also put a load sling between the pack works
great as well, but a little more weight .

Ponderosa

FNG
I've packed a bunch of quarters from antelope all the way up to elk with my longbow between the pack and the frame; I cross the bottom straps and cinch the bottom of the pack to the frame as right as possible before stacking quarters in there. Works fine though I am probably going to order the lift kit soon. I love their packs but wish the frame was a bit taller.

OP
team3t

team3t

WKR
Packed lots of meat on mine between the frame and bag. No slipping or sagging. Buy the lift kit! Huge improvement.

Will pick up the load lifter for sure. Will probably throw in a Kifaru Meat bag as well.

Thanks for the advice!

I second the lift kit. Also if you have a lid, you can attach it to work as a load sling. That's why I love MR, buckles and straps for days make it easy to use in any situation.

OP
team3t

team3t

WKR
SLICK & adbowhunter - Thanks for the advice. I picked up the Lift Kit and will install it tonight. How high do you mount it above the top of the pack? In other words - the distance from the top of the pack to the top of the stays on the lift kit?

Looking for some advice from those who have used it to pack loads 80# or more.

Thanks again for helping out!

OP
team3t

team3t

WKR
I purchased the Oneiros Valley lift as well. My guess is 4"-6". I look forward to seeing how Slicks is set up.

Jason - how is the load haul using the lift on the nice frame? Have you loaded it with 70 plus?

Thanks

The lift really isn't too adjustable as far as height. It'll stick up about 4-5" inches above the existing frame.

This is the best picture I have on my phone to illustrate it. This is a full boned out mule deer, total weight of approx 80# including gear, I'm guessing. Wasn't a fun load but it certainly didn't suck.
b804ad2034671ecbf346cc83484b3076.jpg

OP
team3t

team3t

WKR
Thanks Backcountry. Great shot! Cannot wait for fall. You can definitely see the lifters keeping that pack up. That gives me a good idea of how high to place my stays. I'll set them put some weight on the pack try to get a good feel for where to keep them set. Pretty excited about this pack.

Thanks again