Moving from WA to PA

OP
Spoonman

Spoonman

WKR
Ok it’s officially official now! I have made the move to PA! Ill be closing on a house in Douglassville on a little land in a month. I’ll be about 20 minutes from my brother & sister In law and about 30 minute from my father in-law. Next step is to get a fishing license and get on the water and also do some scouting for deer and bear. Bear season here is kinda crazy so I’ll actually be heading back to Washington to hunt bear. Excited to check things out here. Definitely different out here but one nice thing is there isn’t homeless on every corner and drugs and crime like back home! Thanks again for all the responses guys!

summs

Lil-Rokslider
Nice, before you fly back out west, Maine is a 10 hour drive and has the densest black bear population of any state. The fauna should be similar to WA (based on latitude not experience), but it's lacking mountains, and even hills. There isn't a walk a logging road to a good overlook type hunting in Maine, it's heavy on the bait and wait game. But fairly easy, and cheap. Looking at less than $200 for a license and tag for non res, and that's guaranteed. We don't really do draws east of the Mississippi. (except super rare elk, and 3000 moose tags).

And keep an eye on NJ, where I reside, for when they re-open the bear season. But if you're willing to drive, Delaware water gap in PA, you can't go there and not see bears, We grow'em big here. 875 pounder in 2010 and a few over 700lbs between PA and NJ.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats and welcome to PA. I'm about 90 minutes west of you. Prior to hunting public I was strictly on a a private family farm. Don't overlook the smaller game land properties close to your home particularly during archery. If your goal is to put meat in the freezer you'll have decent success.

One thing I've found is that even on the smaller public parcels the average hunter still does not want to walk more then a couple hundred yards from the parking area. As you are well aware from your experience out west if your willing to go where other's are not you'll increase your chances of success.

OP
Spoonman

Spoonman

WKR
Congrats and welcome to PA. I'm about 90 minutes west of you. Prior to hunting public I was strictly on a a private family farm. Don't overlook the smaller game land properties close to your home particularly during archery. If your goal is to put meat in the freezer you'll have decent success.

One thing I've found is that even on the smaller public parcels the average hunter still does not want to walk more then a couple hundred yards from the parking area. As you are well aware from your experience out west if your willing to go where other's are not you'll increase your chances of success.
I’m definitely willing to take a walk, normal day in the mountains chasing bear is every bit of 10 miles a day.

OP
Spoonman

Spoonman

WKR
Nice, before you fly back out west, Maine is a 10 hour drive and has the densest black bear population of any state. The fauna should be similar to WA (based on latitude not experience), but it's lacking mountains, and even hills. There isn't a walk a logging road to a good overlook type hunting in Maine, it's heavy on the bait and wait game. But fairly easy, and cheap. Looking at less than $200 for a license and tag for non res, and that's guaranteed. We don't really do draws east of the Mississippi. (except super rare elk, and 3000 moose tags).

And keep an eye on NJ, where I reside, for when they re-open the bear season. But if you're willing to drive, Delaware water gap in PA, you can't go there and not see bears, We grow'em big here. 875 pounder in 2010 and a few over 700lbs between PA and NJ.
Thanks for the info. I’ve looked into Maine and the Carolinas and will definitely check them out at some point. The reason for hearing back to WA is I know the area and it’s two over the counter tags for bear. Also still have family and some work that will take me out there.

Rob960

Lil-Rokslider
In northern Berks County and southern Schuylkill you have abundant state game lands and the Weiser State Forest. Lots of deer and some big bear.

You are also along the Schuylkill River. Give Flathead a try.

OP
Spoonman

Spoonman

WKR
Update to this old thread. The move went good, long, but smooth. We made it here in May and found a house by June. Fortunately, and unfortunately, I found a job right away so I’ve been very busy with work. I did make it out a few times for Whitetail, but wasn’t able to harvest anything. I’m not sure this is going to be my cup of tea for hunting?! I’m headed to Erie for my first steelhead trip in two days. If anyone has any suggestions on places to stay for a couple of nights, or even some Intel on fishing spots, it won’t hurt my feelings if you DM me all your honey holes!😝

Archery22

FNG
I'm sure someone on here would you a copy of the Pa Hunting Digest that you get with your hunting license. That would give you a place to start.I would sent you my copy but I'm in Arizona for a few more months. Also check out HuntingPa site ,lots of good info.

rousseb

FNG
Prepare yourself for the largest concentration of hunters per sq mile than any other state!

OP
Spoonman

Spoonman

WKR
Prepare yourself for the largest concentration of hunters per sq mile than any other state!
Yeah it’s a little crazy. Luckily I found a farmer to give me access to his land so not a lot of other people. Either way this tree stand ground blind thing isn’t really for me. Time to focus on steelhead now. Think the only hunting I’ll do here is coyote and fox.

jri

FNG
welcome I'm in the heart of Bedford County. PA has the worst game and fish commission in the country. If I were you, I would head to potter county to get big mountain hunting you are used to camps there are very affordable and not many people. I would also get a credit card the builds flying points you will be going back to Washington to go hunting. crime in our Citys is very bad but outside of that very safe place to live. OUTSIDE OF DEMOCRATE RUN CITIES pa is a wonderful place to live. WELCOME TO PA

LCsmith

Lil-Rokslider
You're only 15-20 min from me. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction for some spots to hunt and if you're into archery, shoot 3D at my house or local clubs just send me a pm.

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
You're only 15-20 min from me. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction for some spots to hunt and if you're into archery, shoot 3D at my house or local clubs just send me a pm.
I'm about an hr from there, if anyone wants to do a Rokslide PA 3d shoot I'd be down.

LCsmith

Lil-Rokslider
I'm about an hr from there, if anyone wants to do a Rokslide PA 3d shoot I'd be down.
I shoot at least once or twice a month in the summer. Bunch of clubs nearby you can shoot just about every weekend.

OP
Spoonman

Spoonman

WKR
That’s awesome. I’ll shoot you a message. I’m over in Erie right now chasing steelhead.