Mountains vs Coast for Retirement...

rob86jeep

WKR
All this downtime and a couple of relocation threads got me thinking about my long term plan again and I was just curious about others opinions on what they ended up with.

Specifically, I'm looking at living in Colorado or the Florida panhandle. To make this a broader question though, would you rather live on the coast or in the mountains? I would still hunt out west if I lived in FL, it would just take a little more logistics every year. On the flip side, I would still vacation at the beach if I lived in the mountains, but I wouldn't be able to take advantage of year round fishing/ocean activities and it would be more vacation oriented probably.

Dcrafton

WKR
Both are great options in their own way, I currently live in the mountains and love the wild life. I’m 50 and not getting any younger, the cold winters with lots of snow does get old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlob1one

WKR
Mountains for me... no hurricanes in the rockies. But I do miss fishing at the coast whenever I please. Tradeoffs.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
I love both, but the wife likes the beach climate better. I'm trying to decide if it's worth "convincing" her the mountains are great, or just biting the bullet and retiring at the beach with a plan in place to hunt in the Rocky's every year.

Rob5589

WKR
Mountains for me, beach for wife. We're going to have discussions when retirement draws near. :cautious:

Rangerpants

Lil-Rokslider
I have had the same thoughts and haven't landed on a solution at this point. Salmon fishing vs. year-round scouting... tough call to make. Might end up coming down to property prices for me, which makes the mountains much more appealing.

Growing up on the coast and now living in the mountains. Memories of the coast are what I miss, not the trash and over population, which is relative to everyone. So you know my choice. We can’t afford the type of property my wife and I wanted on the coast anyway. 20ac with views and public land close by is much easier to come by in the mountains.

SoDaky

WKR
Depends in part on physical condition and what you consider 'mountains'.Don't live where you can't recreate.

Oregon

WKR
I have the best of both worlds, I live at the beach and at the base of the coast range.
I see elk at the beach!
Granted, I must travel to a warm beach(Cabo)twice a year for my wife’s sanity.
Within 20 miles of my house I’ve shot bear, deer, elk, ducks, geese, grouse, quail caught tuna, salmon, steelhead, and if I ever get bored I get Dungeness crab or 6 types of clams.

tdhanses

WKR
100% mountains, I won’t retire for probably 20+ years but already have my retirement land in the mountains.

nidaho

FNG
I think a house in Caribbean and in idaho. Love the mountains and elk hunting. love the warm blue water and fishing

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Mountains trumps all. However, I hate the cold. So I will have to do mountains part of the year and elsewhere through the winter. It doesn't have to be the coast, but it does have to be warm in the winter.

I have the best of both worlds, I live at the beach and at the base of the coast range.
I see elk at the beach!
Granted, I must travel to a warm beach(Cabo)twice a year for my wife’s sanity.
Within 20 miles of my house I’ve shot bear, deer, elk, ducks, geese, grouse, quail caught tuna, salmon, steelhead, and if I ever get bored I get Dungeness crab or 6 types of clams.

I came from Newport so I hear you