Montana family vacation

We live in SE NC and I have traveled out west quite a bit with jobs in the past (CA, UT, WA, OR, etc). I am sure I am not alone but watching Yellowstone really reminds me of the UT mountains and I would take extra time to run them or hike. Now I have 2 kids (5 & 7) and we would like to plan a vacation out there (MT, WY, etc). I've actually never been to MT or WY. Any suggestions on where we can go that isn't crazy touristy, has good food, breweries, hiking trails, etc? Also what time of year is best? We love to fish here but think my kids would be bored of fishing in a river, they are spoiled here on the coast.
If I were in your shoes, WY is the ideal place to take your family on vacation.

It’s teeny-tiny, but for a couple days of fun; Phillipsburg MT is the best. They have a ginormous candy and toy store, the lake and mountains are right there. The old hotels on the main drag are fun too. My kiddo wants to move there.
Agreed. Philipsburg would be a good choice. Lots to do, including hiking in the Pintlers, fly fishing the creeks, fishing and/or boating on Georgetown lake, drive up Skalkaho pass and see the falls, etc. There's a good brewery and a few restaurants in town. There's also a neat shop in town where the kids could mine for sapphires.

MTtrout

WKR
Just make sure you come dressed with cowboy hats, large belt buckles, and leather boots or you will stick out like a sore thumb…

Your family should have a blast and hard to go wrong with the suggestions above. If your time allows, I would suggest July or early August as you should have better luck with wildlife smoke.

WCB

WKR
Agreed. Philipsburg would be a good choice. Lots to do, including hiking in the Pintlers, fly fishing the creeks, fishing and/or boating on Georgetown lake, drive up Skalkaho pass and see the falls, etc. There's a good brewery and a few restaurants in town. There's also a neat shop in town where the kids could mine for sapphires.
I also agree on Philipsburg. Like anywhere else it is expanding but is cool little out of the way destination. Virginia City is a good day trip with kids and is out of the way enough you don't get the Ennis Traffic. It is "touristy" but the Lewis and Clarke Caverns would be a fun stop.

IMO avoid Bozeman like the plague. I don't know about most people but I don't go out west on vacation to spend it walking shoulder to shoulder with people downtown and sit in traffic. A lot of people that hadn't been there before what it has turned into I guess wouldn't know, but the last 8-10 years I drive through it with purpose. Walking main street has zero feel to it anymore. Just a bunch of over priced crap clothing and the shittiest art anybody has ever seen besides like 1 or 2 galleries that haven't changed. Museum of the Rockies if you happen to have to drive through Bozo is neat though.

Summer is obviously busy no matter what but a week or so leading up to 4th of July through August is insane. I personally would go before that time frame. Bring some ultra light rods and meps spinners and stop off in random areas and fish the rivers and creeks as you drive. a 3 day license is cheap enough to have in your pocket.

If you are taking a road trip coming up through Cody would be a good pit stop for a day or two.

I will echo what the others have mentioned about Phillipsburg, cool little place, and panning for sapphires either in town or at the nearby mine always results in a zip lock bag of gems for each kid. And the Hiawatha trail over in the Idaho panhandle is worth your time. A short drive north of Phillipsburg there is a burger joint in Drummond, called Parkers, that has over 125 different burgers on the menu, good too.

What I will mention not previously noted is Butte. The World Museum of Mining is cool and you can take a trip down into a mine if you like. Also right down the street is the Mineral Museum at the Montana School of Mines, it's free which is a bonus. Lots of good places to eat in town as well as a few minutes away over in Anaconda. Butte also has an old city beneath the city, and the underground tour is really interesting and literally cool to see on a hot day, like a 20 degree temp lower. Lot of history in Butte that is worth the time.

On a side note, if you drive Skalkaho Highway between Hamilton and Phillipsburg, do it driving from east to west. It is narrow, dirt & gravel, with steep drop offs to the south side of the road, so heading west keeps u up against the mountain during the drive.

Last edited: