Mountain Whitetail - streams

joshmo

Lil-Rokslider
So Im seasoned with hunting whitetail on flat farm land, swamps, and gently rolling hills. However I'm still trying to figure out this mountain game now that I'm living in idaho.
I'm curious how the deer will travel around creeks that have pretty steep climbs on each side.
Specifically I have found a creek coming out of a mountain and into the bottom where land levels into farmland. It's maybe got a 100 foot climb on one side that rises to a bench. On the other side it basically climbs all the way up the mountain. I'm currently hunting the bench as I have found some solid fresh sign right up against where it flattens into fields, but I'm wondering if I should go down into the creek itself. It does not have a ton of water flow yet. Thanks for any advice!
Josh

Last edited:
OP
J

joshmo

Lil-Rokslider
My apologies in advance as this flatlander still doesn't know all the proper mountain terminology!

elkyinzer

WKR
A little tough to picture that scenario but it sounds like a creek pretty much cut out of the mountain without a flat bottom, in which case I don't think the deer would travel the creek often, rather stay up on the bench you are on.

Wind is a big factor when you start hunting creek bottoms, often during peak times the thermals cause scent to just pool up in flat bottoms or wash down steeper cuts. Prevailing winds usually just result in a swirlfest created by the surrounding topography. The mountains I hunt in PA, while much smaller than Idaho, typically have a ton of rubs and scrapes in the bottoms but I just never have the wind right to consistently hunt them. I usually hunt the benches and ridges higher up where I can get a consistent wind.

OP
J

joshmo

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for your thoughts elkyinzer. You seemed to understand my layout well despite my rough description!
I am definitely still trying to figure the way the wind works up here. I hate/love how tough it is! Based on what you're saying, I think I'll stay put on the bench and keep glassing the bottom to observe how things are working down there. I have does cruising through right now but am yet to catch a good buck on camera. I'm told that the big boys come out of nowhere (or at least out of the mountains) during the rut so maybe the does consistently coming in will lure them my way in a few weeks.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I hunt the mtns of West Virginia and Virginia, what your referring to where the stream comes out of the mountain, is what we call a "holler" spelled hollow, pronounced "holler". You are doing the right thing hunting the bench. The bucks like to travel just under the ridgeline, where there is usually a strip of mtn laurel, they bed in this thicker laurel, and will chase does through it because they feel secure there.

How that translates to Idaho I have no clue, lol but i hope i helped

I hunt the mtns of West Virginia and Virginia, what your referring to where the stream comes out of the mountain, is what we call a "holler" spelled hollow, pronounced "holler". You are doing the right thing hunting the bench. The bucks like to travel just under the ridgeline, where there is usually a strip of mtn laurel, they bed in this thicker laurel, and will chase does through it because they feel secure there.

How that translates to Idaho I have no clue, lol but i hope i helped
That's how I do it when hunt my wannabe mountains in Pa.

OP
J

joshmo

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, that's encouraging tugrivercopper! I'm from the SE and even worked in West Virginia and I know how you boys talk (you have some good deer there too)! I could actually hear "holler" just how you spelled it lol. Thanks again though! I've hung 3 stands all within about a mile of this area, but the bench stand just feels right! Glad you agree!

OP
J

joshmo

Lil-Rokslider
Swany, I've seen some real nice mountain areas when traveling through PA and some real nice deer as well!

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
Stay out of the bottom if you are stand hunting as the wind will be unpredictable. Remember, in the early morning and the evening, you will have natural thermals coming down the hill if there is not other substantial wind. During the day if it heats up, the thermals will rise. With the western whitetails, it will be at least the middle of November to get reliable daytime travel. Be patient. If there are a good number of does using the area, let it rest and scout other areas until the time is right. Then sit your stands and you will get action. The other option if it is more open country is to slowly wander around and glass areas. You may spot a bedded buck earlier in the season. The rut is later in Montana and Idaho than in other parts of the country so don't get discouraged yet. The big boys know what is coming and they save energy until the time is right. Good luck.

OP
J

joshmo

Lil-Rokslider
Stay out of the bottom if you are stand hunting as the wind will be unpredictable. Remember, in the early morning and the evening, you will have natural thermals coming down the hill if there is not other substantial wind. During the day if it heats up, the thermals will rise. With the western whitetails, it will be at least the middle of November to get reliable daytime travel. Be patient. If there are a good number of does using the area, let it rest and scout other areas until the time is right. Then sit your stands and you will get action. The other option if it is more open country is to slowly wander around and glass areas. You may spot a bedded buck earlier in the season. The rut is later in Montana and Idaho than in other parts of the country so don't get discouraged yet. The big boys know what is coming and they save energy until the time is right. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice mtluckydan! it is perfect encouragement right now because everything in me, because of my midwest and eastern experience, is telling me the rut should be ramping up about right now and next week! Ive been feeling like im missing something! A few of the locals I have met have told me the same thing that you just did so now Im getting pumped up for a later rut. As of yesterday, I have 3 stands hung for different weather scenarios. Im going to let them sit for the next 8 days (not because of self discipline, but because I have to leave town lol) Im going to be dreaming about good things to come when I return to Idaho! Thanks again!
josh