Mountain Goat Books?

Hello everyone, I drew a goat tag this year around Ketchikan and I’m super excited! I’ve been trying to find some books on goat hunting and so far I’ve order A Beast The Color of Winter. Does anyone have any other must reads? Thank you in advance.

Decker9

WKR
I’m not any help on books, but a few podcasts as of lately. “Spike camp” did a few podcasts on goats and goat hunting, may interest you.

as.ks.ak

WKR
Also, talk to some experienced goat hunters. If you know of any near you I suggest searching them out and picking their brain!

The Rocky Mountain Goat Alliance has some awesome videos on their website.. and if you aren’t a member I highly suggest looking into joining and helping support mountain goat conservation across all of North America…(I am on the board of directors at RMGA, couldn’t help myself giving a plug for the org).

I’d also be happy to give any tips or tricks I have. You have a VERY sought after tag. The trophy potential on the tag is HUGE! Find an experienced goat hunter to tag along if you can! I’m extremely jealous!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Not many goat hunting books out there.

Newer the color of winter is ok.

Hunting the Rocky Mountain goat by Duncan Gail heist is great but it will cost you like 175.00 if you can find a copy. I got lucky and scored a copy a few years back for around 80.00, I havnt seen that price on that book since.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Holy crap lol, I was just looking and saw “hunting the Rocky Mountain goat” on Amazon for 600.00 or Abe books (which usually has good prices) for 1172.00

I’ve got a signed copy I’ll make you a good deal on.

Decker9

WKR
If you happen to be on IG, I have a pile of goat stuff on my page, very happy to help with anything billy vs nanny related. Winters are slow on my page, but come spring/summer time, I usually throw up a lot of sex quizzes.

OP
Retropnitsuj
If you happen to be on IG, I have a pile of goat stuff on my page, very happy to help with anything billy vs nanny related. Winters are slow on my page, but come spring/summer time, I usually throw up a lot of sex quizzes.
What’s your IG information?

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Im no expert but have some experience. Idk that you need to read that much to harvest one. It would be interesting but even 20 minutes of physical preparation would be more helpful. Its not a i giant rabbit hole to go down into with studying. Its not like an elk where theres almost a science to it at times. Determining sex would be what i studied.

A few guys to help spot and radio you is huge. Guys to help you get it out of rocky terrain is huge help.

They kind of depend on inaccessible terrain to avoid predators(or hunters).

Nobody understands this until it happens to them. Its a weird tag to draw. Like a sheep. Youve spent a few hours of your life admiring them from a distance. Theyre beautiful. But never once did you ever have to figure out how to put a sneak on one. Or look at 16 and figure out which one is slightly biggest. Or look at 3 bands each a day apart and decide which is the better one you saw. You dont know their intricate feeding habits or how they respond to different stressors. You dont know what they do if a shot misses near them. Its a complete new species and hunt to learn.

It’s a huge “oh shiiii” moment. Its like you kept asking out a supermodel once a year for 20 years and each year you know shes going to say no. Its pretty safe. But then this one time she said yes. And you got no idea what do with this opportunity. You just know its gotta go good.

Holy crap lol, I was just looking and saw “hunting the Rocky Mountain goat” on Amazon for 600.00 or Abe books (which usually has good prices) for 1172.00

I’ve got a signed copy I’ll make you a good deal on.
Been trying to find that book for years for anything less than the prices you listed. Kicking myself for not just buying it 4 or 5 years ago before I knew I was going goat hunting.

I’m not any help on books, but a few podcasts as of lately. “Spike camp” did a few podcasts on goats and goat hunting, may interest you.

These were pretty good, I enjoyed the whole series and thought it was about as informational for hunters as any podcast or book could be.

Not a goat hunting book specifically, but "Hunting Alaska's Far Places: Half a Century with Rifle and Shotgun," by Jim Rearden is a good mish-mash of hunting yarns from the first few decades of statehood. He includes one story of a goat hunt (on the Kenai, I think?) that didn't quite go as planned.

He was an ADF&G biologist and a really good writer, his other books, like "Alaska's Wolf Man," are pretty solid, too.

OP
Retropnitsuj
Not a goat hunting book specifically, but "Hunting Alaska's Far Places: Half a Century with Rifle and Shotgun," by Jim Rearden is a good mish-mash of hunting yarns from the first few decades of statehood. He includes one story of a goat hunt (on the Kenai, I think?) that didn't quite go as planned.

He was an ADF&G biologist and a really good writer, his other books, like "Alaska's Wolf Man," are pretty solid, too.
I’ve read Alaska’s Wolf Man, it’s a great book.