Mountain boot with heel cup

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Looked at both the Triolet and Vioz. Great boots, I'm sure, but look more like your standard backpacking boot. I want a taller, full grain leather, mountain hunting boot.

UPnorth

FNG
The Scarpa Fuego or Wrangell may be close to what you're looking for. I can't compare to your Solomans, but I have a pair of Fuegos and I think they have a pretty good cup. Burly boots if that's what you're after.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Thanks. The Scarpa Liskamm came highly recommended and as I understand it the Wrangell replaces the Liskamm. Might have to see if REI can order me a pair.

UPnorth

FNG
Sure thing. Last time I looked, zappos carried both models. Free shipping both ways...

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Interesting, I need a taller boot than the Cevedale and also want full grain leather. I played with a set of L&S inserts too and, while the cushioning is nice, decided they were not for me. After bouts with plantar fasciatis, I need arch support. I'd love to see an insert with the arch support of Superfeet or similar, and the cushioning and volume filling capability of the L&S.
Blue Sole insoles have about as high of an arch as you can get.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Back to the drawing board here. Scarpa Wrangells were really well made but really stiff and I got cheese grater like heel slip in them. They went back. Lowa Tibets were almost perfect. They felt awesome out of the box and I thought I'd found love. Until I went on some real hikes with a pack. They are just a bit too narrow on the outside left forefoot and gave me a painful pressure point.

So I gave up trying to do this myself. I hate trial and error. Talked to Lathrop and Sons and they were pushing the Cevedale Tech Lite. I took pics of my feet standing in insoles (from my Quest 4 D's, which fit perfect, I just need more boot) and they recommended the Cevedale TL in a 1/2 larger than my normal 10.5. With their foot beds, custom fit. I'm skeptical, but I told em to go ahead. Thoughts?

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
I talked to L&S as well. Told them I really like the Quest 4 D's and they also recommended the Cevedale. I bought the Cevedale and found them a bit narrow in the forefoot. Definitely not as wide as the 4Ds. I sent them back and they stretched them for me. At first, it didn't seem like it helped, but I figured out if I isolate the forefoot lacing from the ankle lacing with a surgeons type knot and left my fore foot loose, then I don't have any narrow pressure issues and find the boots quite comfortable, especially with the Synergy insoles.. I am still getting heel slip/blisters though, even with a pair of liner socks. But, now that I've found Leukotape, I really don't care anymore about heel slip. I've never had a pair of boots that didn't cause blisters and I've resigned myself to the fact that I simply have to tape up before I hike. With the Leukotape and Synergy footbeds, my feet are quite comfortable in these boots, even at the end of a long ruck. They are a very stiff boot and will provide plenty of support under a heavy load. So, make sure you give yourself enough time and mileage to break them in properly.

If your still skeptical, then before you wear them outside and void the return policy, take your ruck to a gym and get on a treadmill for an hour and see how they feel. I think you have 15 days to return them if you don't like them as long as they are in like new condition.

Good luck. I know how frustrating it can be!!!

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I talked to L&S as well. Told them I really like the Quest 4 D's and they also recommended the Cevedale. I bought the Cevedale and found them a bit narrow in the forefoot. Definitely not as wide as the 4Ds. I sent them back and they stretched them for me. At first, it didn't seem like it helped, but I figured out if I isolate the forefoot lacing from the ankle lacing with a surgeons type knot and left my fore foot loose, then I don't have any narrow pressure issues and find the boots quite comfortable, especially with the Synergy insoles.. I am still getting heel slip/blisters though, even with a pair of liner socks. But, now that I've found Leukotape, I really don't care anymore about heel slip. I've never had a pair of boots that didn't cause blisters and I've resigned myself to the fact that I simply have to tape up before I hike. With the Leukotape and Synergy footbeds, my feet are quite comfortable in these boots, even at the end of a long ruck. They are a very stiff boot and will provide plenty of support under a heavy load. So, make sure you give yourself enough time and mileage to break them in properly.

If your still skeptical, then before you wear them outside and void the return policy, take your ruck to a gym and get on a treadmill for an hour and see how they feel. I think you have 15 days to return them if you don't like them as long as they are in like new condition.

Good luck. I know how frustrating it can be!!!

Thanks, your issues concern me. That's what's annoying too. The inability to return them after real use. Some of these issue don't present themselves, or resolve themselves, until after ample real world use.

Perhaps a better question is what do the Quest 4d lovers of the world use when they need a heavier duty boot?

Slim Jim

WKR
I used to wear the Solomons and now have the Scarpa Triolets. They were narrow in the forefoot until I had them stretched at Boot Barn for free and they fit well now. I also wear the Salewa Repace and absolutely love them. Plenty of room in the toe box, stiff sole and lightweight.

Slim - Are you wearing the same size in the Rapace as the Salomon 4D? How about the Triolet? Are you running an aftermarket insole in either?

Back to the drawing board here. Scarpa Wrangells were really well made but really stiff and I got cheese grater like heel slip in them. They went back. Lowa Tibets were almost perfect. They felt awesome out of the box and I thought I'd found love. Until I went on some real hikes with a pack. They are just a bit too narrow on the outside left forefoot and gave me a painful pressure point.

So I gave up trying to do this myself. I hate trial and error. Talked to Lathrop and Sons and they were pushing the Cevedale Tech Lite. I took pics of my feet standing in insoles (from my Quest 4 D's, which fit perfect, I just need more boot) and they recommended the Cevedale TL in a 1/2 larger than my normal 10.5. With their foot beds, custom fit. I'm skeptical, but I told em to go ahead. Thoughts?

I did the same thing this week..my 4d s fit so good but I destroy them every year...constantly replacing them...so called L&S they pushed the tech lites. So I bought them...but I'm nervous cause there return policy isn't that good and I'm worried they won't fit as well...some hootsma comments make me even more nervous cause his fit sound like mine...and the cost of those things with the insoles they recommend is pretty crazy..

ytlogger

FNG
So many different feet but I have fit characteristics like you describe. I am wearing Hanwags with custom orthotic insoles. That's the best I've had. I still can have a little slippage on my right heel but I can usually correct it with a Surgeon's knot between one pair of hooks or another.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Well I got the Cevedales from L&S today. I must say, I knew I should have trusted my gut. They aren't gonna work. They are too long in an 11 and just too narrow. I can feel the same pressure point on my left forefoot as I did with the Tibets. They might break in some and get better, but I am not going to risk it after paying nearly $500, especially with a 15 day return policy. Back they go, and back to the drawing board I go! I hate this!

Well I got the Cevedales from L&S today. I must say, I knew I should have trusted my gut. They aren't gonna work. They are too long in an 11 and just too narrow. I can feel the same pressure point on my left forefoot as I did with the Tibets. They might break in some and get better, but I am not going to risk it after paying nearly $500, especially with a 15 day return policy. Back they go, and back to the drawing board I go! I hate this!

SD I would try a Hanwag boot, lowa's fit me perfectly, Hanwags have always been a touch big. I've also heard Schnees boots run a touch wide. No experience personally with Schnees so take that for what it's worth.

Ryan R

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a pair of Scarpa Kinesis pro gtx and they have the most aggressive heel cup I have seen. The boots have padding that cup your achilles tendon and anchor your heel in place. My pair was a tad small so I returned them, but they are nice boots.