Most expensive thing you lost while hunting

whaack

WKR
I've been a pump user myself. This doesn't help you now, but any time you travel you can ask the pump company for a loaner so if something like that happens it isn't on you to pay to replace it. The only problem is you have to be under warranty I think these days to get the loaner. Obamacare really screwed pump users.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I moved to Omni pod so they are disposable now. Thx for the heads up though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have lost sweater vests while hunting but I lost 2 Mauser Victorinox pocket knives in the same area of the Sierras a couple of years in a row. I think the long lanyard got got by branches while hiking and crossing creek and was pulled out of my pocket. Cant even describe how angry at myself I was and am...those are discontinued knives in the $200 range.

Swamp Fox

WKR
My wedding ring in a duck pond in argentina. Must have come off when I took my gloves off. Never felt it slip off. We were standing in 3' of water anyways. I would have never found it. Shot a brazilian teal that morning.
Another likely story ... LOL

TheTone

WKR
Carter release shortly after shooting my first elk. Weirdly my dads best friend found it a week or so later scouting the area and didn’t know it was mine until I found it in his pickup another couple months later when we were going deer hunting

grfox92

WKR
Yesterday on my walk out from a 18 mile day, my eye glasses had been putting a little pressure on my temples so I took them off and clipped them to my bino harness.

I got back to the truck and realized they weren't there. There is about a 0% chance of finding those glasses. $450 plus I will require a new eye exam before I can get a new pair. So a $600+ loss.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

JEck

WKR
I lost my dads Garmin GPS crossing a river to pack out his bull, clipped it to the water bladder clasp on my pack’s shoulder strap…it didn’t make it 200 yards before it fell off. Lost a couple grunt tubes over the years too, but happened after I shot a deer each time, so I guess not all bad.

Garmin Oregon 450T. I know roughly where it is, but wasn't hiking back up 1000 feet across the above timberline tundra to search for it. We didn't really utilize a trail. Had it been an actual trail I might have gone looking for it.

Owlman

FNG
Lost my phone once. Was using it to take some video of the layout from my vantage point and eventually put it down. I scoured that area for hours and never found it. Unbelievable I can track a deer for yards and yards and can't find where I set my phone down in a 20yd^2 area. Had the thing on silent too so not to spook anything.
Lesson learned is to have it for emergencies but just not mess with it when im out there. Focus on the task at hand.

schur7559

FNG
I lost my shotgun in a river while duck hunting. I was floating in my kayak when I leaned over to get under an overhanging branch and flipped the yak. Really sucked because it was my grandpas old gun that I got when he passed.

TrueAt1stLight

Lil-Rokslider
I think I might win this one: I “lost” my appendix as I was wrapping up a northern MI annual grouse hunt. That was mid “five figures” of medical costs, then was stranded at my folks’ house 12 hrs away from home for 15 days while I recovered.

My wife literally had to buy me a new wardrobe as all I had with me were deep woods stiff hunting clothes and NOTHING you’d want to wear while recovering from abdominal surgery. I also had my bird dog with me and needed to buy new food, bowls, etc to take care of him.

To top it all off, while I was recovering, I realized how bad the tires were on my yuppy-Euro hunting rig, a new Gen Audi Q7, and had them replaced locally to the tune of $1,800. All I could think of was driving home, which took me through Chicago, with a vehicle full of guns, my dog, and me with cut up guts, blowing a tire while 12+ hrs away from home. That whole trip sucked!

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
Not all that expensive but just sort of B.S. and sentimental. I was hunting in NE WY for deer like very North East Wyoming. Got home and a couple days latter could not find my Schnee's boots I had bought while guiding in MT. wore those things non stop guiding when the weather required. Spent days on horse back in those things. Wore them trapping all winter ack at home. Called the hotel/motel...sure enough they were in the office (why no phone call was placed to me or my wife is a mystery?)

Lady said she would send them out the following week. A couple weeks go by and I call looking for shipping information or just to remind them to send them....different lady answers the phone and I get the "There weren't any boots left in the rooms...I don't know why she (the first lady) would have said that"... Just got fairly quiet when I said when I asked if anyone found boots the other lady said "Yes" "They were in room.... looks like some tall Schnee's size 9.5s".

Yesterday on my walk out from a 18 mile day, my eye glasses had been putting a little pressure on my temples so I took them off and clipped them to my bino harness.

I got back to the truck and realized they weren't there. There is about a 0% chance of finding those glasses. $450 plus I will require a new eye exam before I can get a new pair. So a $600+ loss.

Does your Optometrist not provide you with your prescription?

ZipsNLbs

FNG
I’ve gotten off a lot easier than some of you on here !! My dumbest was . I was on state land . Took a poor shot at a nice buck and knew it as soon as I squeezed off.. He turned as I shot quartering away and I drilled the front shoulder . Could see his leg just swaying as The buck crested a hill. I knew I had to get another in him so I turned my ringer on threw my phone on the ground where I shot so I could you know . Find the spot I shot if I had to . Well 3 ridges later I caught up to him and finished the job . Go to call my buddy to help drag . And oh yeah phones at the spot I shot .. so I figure might as well get to it . Gutted the deer and started dragging back . Buddy ended up coming 3 hours later because he heard the shots and didn’t have service to call me lol it was at that moment I knew that phone was long gone .. the bright side Nextel’s we’re a lot cheaper than I phones !!!!!

grfox92

WKR
Not all that expensive but just sort of B.S. and sentimental. I was hunting in NE WY for deer like very North East Wyoming. Got home and a couple days latter could not find my Schnee's boots I had bought while guiding in MT. wore those things non stop guiding when the weather required. Spent days on horse back in those things. Wore them trapping all winter ack at home. Called the hotel/motel...sure enough they were in the office (why no phone call was placed to me or my wife is a mystery?)

Lady said she would send them out the following week. A couple weeks go by and I call looking for shipping information or just to remind them to send them....different lady answers the phone and I get the "There weren't any boots left in the rooms...I don't know why she (the first lady) would have said that"... Just got fairly quiet when I said when I asked if anyone found boots the other lady said "Yes" "They were in room.... looks like some tall Schnee's size 9.5s".

Does your Optometrist not provide you with your prescription?
Been over 2 years since my last eye exam. I'm required to have a new eye exam now.

Reactions: WCB

Nogudpup

FNG
Least expensive lost item: $80 Mathews bow stand while tracking elk blood through the thick stuff. I now use a zip tie and it holds.

Most expensive was losing my ego when I started elk hunting at altitude thinking I could run the hills like my lungs could here in GA. Um no. At least I got mountain sickness checked off the experience list early. No issues ever since camping at trailhead on day 1 before hiking in for the 7/10 days.

I've lost a pocket knife or two for sure.

Most regrettable was a small camera in the Hay Canyon area of the Sacramento Mountains in NM. Not because of the tangible value, but because it has pictures on it of the only Montezuma Quail I've ever seen. Cool experience with the quail. Miss getting to hunt that country with my uncle.