Most expensive thing you lost while hunting

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
Lost an old Knight and Hale crow call this past spring. You used to be able to buy them for about 10 bucks, but I wouldn't have taken a thousand for it, if offered.

Danomite

Lil-Rokslider
My most expensive loss was a Swarovski ATS 80 in central Colorado. After glassing until last light I packed things up and walked back to camp. I just strapped the tripod to my pack with spotter attached to the tripod. The clamp on the head must not have been tight enough and the spotter fell off. I didn’t notice until back at camp and never found it due to tall grass. I learned to (1) always strap the spotter independent of the tripod when on the outside of the pack, and (2) always run the tracking feature on OnX even if you don’t need it to navigate.

My most painful is a toss up between losing my warm wool sweater and long Johns that were tied around my waste while busting brush on day one of a 3 day backpack hunt and losing my chew on the hike into a different 3 day backpack hunt.

My college roommate threw away a Ruger Blackhawk pistol. He flew home after a MT muledeer hunt, and left the gun with a friend, expecting to have to find a dealer to ship the gun. A week later a box arrives with his 4 pt rack in it. he set the box out for garbage collection and about 3 days later his friend called and asked if he got his horns and gun. He dug through the landfill for about 3 hours before giving up.

LoggerDan

WKR
Swaro 7x30 SLC’s. I’m pretty sure they were ganked out of my jeep. Last I saw them was target shooting.

They were only seven powers, but man they were great for me and I still miss ‘em. I had to trade three guns for them.

My wife and I were driving separate vehicles on an out of state turkey hunt. She laid her backpack on the tailgate of my truck to run in to the bathroom. I drove off not knowing the tailgate was down and about the pack. She called a bit later and I pulled over. Never found the pack, prolly landed in the road. A range finder, decoy, binos, calls, food, seat, and no telling what else. We replaced it all and hopefully learned a $$$ lesson.

oake

Lil-Rokslider
Lost a cell phone and point-and-shoot camera in one fail swoop.

Laid them on a tailgate while elk hunting probably 11 years ago & you know the rest of the story. Funny part was I didn’t realize it until I got home and the wife asked for her camera back….

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
Turkey hunters are particularly bad about leaving stuff in the woods. We carry all sorts of paraphernalia ( various calls, strikers, binocs,etc., etc. ). Not thousands of dollar items, but you can get in the hundreds with a custom call. If you could somehow collect everything that`s lost you could open one hellacious sporting goods store and not have to pay a dime for initial inventory!

My sanity on my current Colorado high country mule deer muzzleloader hunt. It was warm and sunny opening day then it rained for 6 days now it's snowed and so foggy I can't see 50 yards.

WestMOhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Trying to push pole through hard wind so took off my TriTronics Pro 500 remote and laid it on the deck of my layout boat… briefly. I waded around for a couple hrs kicking around trying to find it, but failed. My dog thought it was fine.

WestMOhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Trying to push pole through hard wind so took off my TriTronics Pro 500 remote and laid it on the deck of my layout boat… briefly. I waded around for a couple hrs kicking around trying to find it, but failed. My dog thought it was fine.
Scratch that. That was only $250 to replace. I’ve probably lost $500 worth of slate call strikers at the bases of trees. They should be sold by the dozen.

Took my Dad's springer/setter mix out pheasant hunting years ago with my now wife. Knocked a rooster down and sent the dog in for the retrieve in the tall vegetation. Dog completely disappeared without seeing the direction she took off. After an hour of panic and yelling she appears with the rooster still alive as I winged it. Heck of a dog but I was not gonna explain to my Dad that I lost her.

Not me , but my neighbor has hunting land down the road from us and finished muzzleloader and forgot to shut tailgate of his truck . Hardcase with muzzleloader fell out on road . There it is guncase laying right on the road . A couple days later an honest soul shows up looking for the owner . I would call it "almost" lost . He got lucky

Not hunting , but cellphones falling into freshly drilled holes ice fishing seem to be a popular way to loose your expensive cell phone

ZDR

WKR
My horse…several years ago while bow hunting elk in the Pecos wilderness, came back to camp to find my horse gone. Picked up his tracks on the trail heading south to Iron Gate trailhead. Whole walking the trail, an outfitter rode up demanding to know if I knew anything about his wall tents being slashed and his mules were loose as well. Once he calmed done, we realized someone had done this deliberately. Long story short, I found my horse 6 miles out at the trailhead. We both reported it to the rangers and they were not too interested…

Lost a Randall model 26 after cutting a deer up in late season with snow on the ground. Went back to look for it but didn't find it. Found it the following spring while turkey hunting.

gabenzeke

WKR
$10,000 insulin pump. I’m T1D, took my pump off changing pants at the truck. Set my pump on the tailgate and then drove off never to be found again. Insurance doesn’t cover a post medical device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been a pump user myself. This doesn't help you now, but any time you travel you can ask the pump company for a loaner so if something like that happens it isn't on you to pay to replace it. The only problem is you have to be under warranty I think these days to get the loaner. Obamacare really screwed pump users.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk