Moose hunting 101

Congrats on the tag! I drew a moose tag as well, but on the eastern side of the state. I would recommend calling the local fish and game office in the area and speaking with the biologist. I also called the main office and got harvest data for the last ten years. Send me a PM if you want the email to get that info. That info will give you harvest location, date, year, and antler spread. You can then sort the spreadsheet and determine where the majority are killed and what time of the season.

johnsd16

WKR
You'll find moose in 6. I've hunted 7 before with a NR friend that drew (and I still can't draw). Feel free to PM me and I can give you some tips on timing, scouting, rut, where to look etc. Depending on how other draws go, I'd possibly be up to help some too.

Most people are rookies to Shiras moose hunting. It's not like guys are pulling tags every few years. Some out there have done it alot, but many just run across them during elk season.

TXCO

WKR
I drew a long season tag in unit 4. What about full moon affecting activity? (sept 29th this year). Sounds like the rut is the end of september through early october. I was thinking hunting the week leading up to October 1st. Any thoughts on best dates to target being in the field for calling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Another for talking to the Bio. That helped me a bunch. As was the case for me, the moose were concentrated in a certain part of the unit I drew. The bio will zero you in. Also, do not be shy to ask other hunters you run into if they've seen any, and if so where. Most will help. Having numerous sets of eyes out and about is key as well. Heck, I'll freely admit, my wife was the one who spotted mine.

Now the friendly warning. Be prepared for the "after the kill". I had never moose hunted and I knew about how big they were, so I thought. They are very large animals. Have a plan for dealing with A LOT of meat. Think of it as shooting 6-8 whitetails all at once.

Arcticmanak

Lil-Rokslider
I can only speak from experience hunting moose in Alaska. I second the recommendation of talking to F&G. I found that I was way ahead of the game by getting advice, harvest reports, population estimates, times of the rut etc. from my local office.
Your 300 (I assume win mag) is optimal for moose. I've shot several with a 30-06 and it is also ideal.
I would watch videos on moose calling and practice doing it. Your wife and family will enjoy it. "Love, Thunder and Bull" are good ones, as is the series by Gouthro.
If you don't already have them, I recommend the best optics you can afford. You will spend much time glassing and your eyes will thank you for it.
Congratulations! I sure wish you the best and success on a great hunt.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
See you have to find a moose, okay. Then once you find the moose, you come up with a plan for killing the moose, see? Then you kill that moose, boom!

-John Madden

jewbacca

FNG
I drew unit 6 September 15th to December 1st. So a good chunk of time but rather get one down sooner rather than later. Cause life happens. I'll check those out for sure!

I'm running into the same thing, lots of talk of the Northern moose species and little on the Shiras. Planning on calling one in is my hope in late September. Hoping it pulls them to the water more.

I'm planning on calling till October 20th or so. I'm torn on either my 300 or 375. Depends on range of shots.

We can learn all this together.

Are wolves going to effect your hunt?
When are you placing your cameras out?
You hit the jackpot! Hope you find a big one.

There's a healthy wolf population out there for sure. No idea how much it'll affect the hunt. Moose population has been in decline for a bit and I'm sure wolves have done their fair share of it.

I'm going to be in the unit in about 3 weeks for initial scouting and camera placement. My brother is hunting deer there and is taking time off to join me for the moose hunt. I've hunted Unit 4 for elk before, but will be relying quite a bit on his knowledge of the area.

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a few hundred miles north of you in sask. Our rut down south is in full swing Oct 1. This is the best time for calling. Unfortunately our otc season doesn't start until Oct 15 and while it is still possible, they don't come charging I'm with crazy eyes. The last week or so of Sept is also great for calling. Our late season here is in November and if things go well, we get fresh snow and cut tracks to find where they are hanging out. It always amazes me how a huge black critter can disappear with a white background. They blend so well into the willows.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations. Alaskan here but I've hunted moose near 40 years and learned a few things about moose habits.
A moose eating 40 pounds plus in food every day has to have the correct habitat. Willow, poplar, birch are favorites. They do not eat alders. My point being hunters see lots of leaves doesn't mean moose habitat. Find what they eat.
Find the cows. They tend to set up house and live in an area. Bulls not so much. Particularly hunting season. They are thinking about other things. And cruising around more finding cows.
I like to still hunt during the day. In my area they will move to the more open areas and bed. If they hear something they can look up and body hidden. Take em in the bed.
Morning is viewing time. Watch the border around feeding places like ponds. Evening I will be calling. I also use broken devils club leaves that turn yellow as antler imitators. They are small. I believe this is important. A big bull will gladly go kick a punk bulls rear. Maybe think twice if they think you are a big bull. They know it's a fight. Especially if you have a stubborn one coming in. And you never know.
Find the correct food first. Then look for the freshest least browsed moose habitat with cows near and they will hopefully find you. As a big bull eating 50-60# of brouse a day is a lot of leaves. Find a couple cows and hang out. Cows are in estres only 24 hours so bulls will find them.
Find correct habitat and the best habitat near.
Moose hear everything, walk like moose stopping n eating. They smell everything. I'm not sure how this impacts them. They are big n know it. They may move but not far probably.
Wolves. Well find moose n you have probably found wolves. I've had several a few hunts interrupted. And have had one coming into my cow in heat calls. Huge pure white one. And have heard them making a drive twards me while calling. 2 wolves a few hundred feet apart making a short chirping noise and walking towards me.
Big bulls are wearing a hot fur coat and a kazillion bugs around. Find the thickest wet muddy spot you can and the trail in. Set on it
Mostly enjoy the experience. This is your opportunity to harvest a moose. Pretty cool experience. Best advice is be out there and enjoy it. You will learn. And if you are blessed to harvest a bull moose than even better. But pretty darn good anyhows.
Best of luck, stay safe
Congrats n good luck man

kaboku68

WKR
Find a copy of the Moose book by Samual Merill. It is an old book but very much the classic when it comes to moose hunting.