Moose hunting 101

MitchId

FNG
Hey everyone, I'm reaching out to the hunting community, as I have just drawn a Moose tag in Idaho. I am hoping to get as much coaching as I can on this to make the most of a once in lifetime tag. Wanting to know the typical range for a shot? Should I do bow or rifle? When is the rut? I have hunted a lot of other critters just never Moose. Would love any info and feedback you all have. Any help is appreciated.

WMR

FNG
Sorry for the typo above. If I were a newbie with a once in a lifetime tag, I’d go with a knowledgeable friend or hire a guide. Best of luck.

OP
M

MitchId

FNG
Thank you! I totally agree. Thought I'd reach out to the community here and see if I could make a new friend!

Loo.wii

WKR
I saw plenty of moose sign and even found a fresh shed in northern idaho.......

jewbacca

FNG
Which unit and dates? I'm a moose noob as well but happy to share a bit about my approach.

There's quite a bit of info in old threads here and on other forums. Seems to be more focus on AK moose than lower-48, but I found this thread to be particularly helpful:

I picked up a copy of his recommended book:

Last edited:
OP
M

MitchId

FNG
Which unit and dates? I drew Unit 3 for Nov 1-14. I'm a moose noob as well but happy to share a bit about my approach.

There's quite a bit of info in old threads here and on other forums. Seems to be more focus on AK moose than lower-48, but I found this thread to be particularly helpful:

I picked up a copy of his recommended book:

I want to learn all I can about moose behavior and habitat.

From what I can tell, peak rut is early to mid Oct. Calling supposedly can work very well just before and during this timeframe, but I dunno how much it will work by Nov 1. I plan to do some to test the waters, but I don't know if they'll come into calls by then. Maybe the younger bulls will. What I'm really hoping for is to get responses to locate animals, and I expect spot & stalk is going to be most effective at that point.

I've read a lot of folks rely on driving the roads, covering lots of country, and glassing openings early and late.

Next is learning the unit and finding access. Lots of e-scouting, then driving the unit to find access points and verify habitat. Placing trail cams and monitoring animals in the unit as much as possible.

As much as I'd love to shoot one with a bow, I don't want to take chances on a OIL hunt. I'm using a .308 and plan to keep any shots within 300 yards. The panhandle is thick, and I'll honestly be surprised if I get any shots over 100-150 yds. Leaves should have dropped by then, and hopefully there will be a snow or two during the hunt.

I'd love to hear any other tips or corrections on this. I can't wait for November!!!
I drew unit 6 September 15th to December 1st. So a good chunk of time but rather get one down sooner rather than later. Cause life happens. I'll check those out for sure!

I'm running into the same thing, lots of talk of the Northern moose species and little on the Shiras. Planning on calling one in is my hope in late September. Hoping it pulls them to the water more.

I'm planning on calling till October 20th or so. I'm torn on either my 300 or 375. Depends on range of shots.

We can learn all this together.

Are wolves going to effect your hunt?
When are you placing your cameras out?

This is my recommendation based upon seeing more than one friend get drawn for moose in the Lower 48 who insisted on doing DIY.

If you are 100% fine with failing miserably, including seeing zero moose, and will never have regrets then do it DIY.

If you will have regrets (remember the rest of your life can be a long time), then pony up some cash to make the most of the hunt and do it guided. Having some help on the pack out would be nice; but I am a mere mortal unlike some on this site that can do it in a single trip.

I know I personally would pay for help to increase my odds of success on a true once in a lifetime hunt. But there are folks that are perfectly content to eat tag soup just to save a dollar or insistence despite waiting decades to draw.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Cover a lot of territory and glass, then glass again and repeat. The 300 will be plenty. Also, they may be hard to spot through October when the leaves start to fall. On my hunt just across the border in WA a few years back, It was tough as the area was very thick until November.

Last edited:

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Also, from my limited experience, do not get discouraged during any summer scouting if you're not seeing any. If it's warm, they tend not to roam around a lot during the day.

This is my recommendation based upon seeing more than one friend get drawn for moose in the Lower 48 who insisted on doing DIY.

If you are 100% fine with failing miserably, including seeing zero moose, and will never have regrets then do it DIY.

If you will have regrets (remember the rest of your life can be a long time), then pony up some cash to make the most of the hunt and do it guided. Having some help on the pack out would be nice; but I am a mere mortal unlike some on this site that can do it in a single trip.

I know I personally would pay for help to increase my odds of success on a true once in a lifetime hunt. But there are folks that are perfectly content to eat tag soup just to save a dollar or insistence despite waiting decades to draw.
Couldn't disagree more with everything you said. Majority of the men & women on this site are DIY public land HUNTERS and we take pride in that. Who says NOT notching a tag would be failing miserably? I know plenty of guys that turned one of these OIL tags into big family get together and created a lifetime a memories with friends and family and for ones that filled their tags that was just a bonus. For most people it has nothing to with trying to "save a dollar" it has to do with enjoying the whole process and accepting the challenge. Me personally I'd rather fail standing on my own 2 feet rather than being the trigger man to some stranger I paid to follow around the woods.
To each their own i guess !

jewbacca

FNG
Couldn't disagree more with everything you said. Majority of the men & women on this site are DIY public land HUNTERS and we take pride in that. Who says NOT notching a tag would be failing miserably? I know plenty of guys that turned one of these OIL tags into big family get together and created a lifetime a memories with friends and family and for ones that filled their tags that was just a bonus. For most people it has nothing to with trying to "save a dollar" it has to do with enjoying the whole process and accepting the challenge. Me personally I'd rather fail standing on my own 2 feet rather than being the trigger man to some stranger I paid to follow around the woods.
That's where I'm coming from. Hunting is more satisfying the more I can do myself.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Yeah, I agree. My wife and I did my moose hunt on some paper company land which is essentially public hunting (for a small access fee). It was quite rewarding. It was a tall order for 2 mid 50's folks, I will admit. Lucky there was no packout required.

Laramie

WKR
The hardest part about moose hunting is drawing the tag. It can absolutely be done DIY

Kudos for capitalizing the word "hunters" to further imply the superiority of some self-proclaimed elite on this site. I may have to start calling these elite "vegans" as they have similar mindsets: they're "right" and they feel it is necessary to ram their thoughts down other folks' throats (all the while abjectly rejecting it when reciprocated).

Success, or the lack of it, depends on the user. Some folks can see no sign, no animals, etc and call it a success. Some can see animals but no shot and call it a success. Some may only call success an animal on the ground. The definitions for success and failure is up to the individual.

Based upon your "trigger man" comment, and potentially where you live, you will likely not be taking part many common hunts, let alone OIL hunts, that the traditional RS elite do as that would require you to just be the very thing that you loathe.

Lastly I do appreciate your use of bold font to make one last swipe at a viewpoint that you vehemently disagree with. Using black was a nice touch as red could have been interpreted as being too aggressive and/or inciteful.

In the real world, the phrase "there's more than one way to skin a cat" does apply. But this is Rokslide where the only way is the self-proclaimed elite way.

OP
M

MitchId

FNG
I would like to give a shout out to NRA4LIFE, SuperDUECE22, jewbacca,and cnelk. I believe in 1st the experience, 2nd the animal, and 3rd the animal's uniqueness(big antlers, unique color etc) This is my opinion. I want to do it DIY for the overall effort I put in. The experience of everyone who helped me cause they wanted to, thats makes it fun for me. An animal that makes me work, a little is all the sweeter on the grill.

NRA4LIFE sounds like I'll be hunting similar to your hunt. Just lots of walking for me.
cnelk I have to hear the story of that beauty