Moose Brisket

AkRyan

WKR
That sounds like a huge piece of rubber waiting to happen. Little to no fat in moose meat and I was unaware they even had a brisket.

z987k

WKR
Maybe if you could inject a LOT of fat into the meat that might turn out ok. Maybe use some of that meat glue to glue some beef fat to the outside. I think you'll most likely have a dry brick.

That sounds like a huge piece of rubber waiting to happen. Little to no fat in moose meat and I was unaware they even had a brisket.
All ruminants have a brisket.

Personally I'd sous vide it. Can't think it'd turn out like anything but rubber if you smoked it or did it in the oven. For a brisket consistency I'd do 165/24 hours.

xcutter

WKR
I would think if you injected it with beef stock and coated it in beef tallow for a binder it would turn out good. Rub wise I always do coarse black pepper, coarse kosher salt, and garlic powder in that order. I would also spritz with beef stock during the cook. Smoke until reaching 165F then wrap in foil with some beef stock and tallow put back on smoker until 205F. Take off smoker then put in cooler for at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours.

I know this ruins the reason for eating wild game adding all this beef stock and beef fat.

z987k

WKR
After a quick Google search I see that most of us call moose brisket burger lol.
Ya that's what most people do.

I did save a moose skirt 2 years ago and we did Churasco with it. It worked.

peterk123

WKR
Brine it for five days. Look up a brine for corned beef. The if you want, you put on a rub of caroway, black pepper, and garlic and into the smoker at a low heat. Smoke until interval temp hits 150. Boom... you have moose pastrami!

Let me know how it turns out - whatever you try. I specifically cut out the brisket on ours this year as I was going to corn and/or pastrami it. Which reminds me I need to find it in the freezer and get on that......

OP
HUNT JR

HUNT JR

WKR
I was thinking about potentially injecting it fairly often and brining it to try and keep as much moisture as I can. Will smoke for awhile and then wrap in foil and inject more to see how it turns out. I have a backup food option, but wanted to try this out

wyo

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely speaking off the cuff here as I've never tried this with anything else but I really like to cook game ribs in the slow cooker until fork tender then finish in the smoker. Might be an option for a brisket as well. Good luck, let us know how it turns out whatever you do.

Never corned a moose cut but have done whitetail pastrami turned out very well, see no reason moose wouldn't make a good pastrami also. As too just smoking it I am with the general group opinion it would not turn out very well.

Gobbler36

WKR
Brine it for five days. Look up a brine for corned beef. The if you want, you put on a rub of caroway, black pepper, and garlic and into the smoker at a low heat. Smoke until interval temp hits 150. Boom... you have moose pastrami!
Nice heading to Alaska in 23 for moose if I’m lucky enought To kill one I’m gonna do this!

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
I was thinking about potentially injecting it fairly often and brining it to try and keep as much moisture as I can. Will smoke for awhile and then wrap in foil and inject more to see how it turns out. I have a backup food option, but wanted to try this out
Results?

OP
HUNT JR

HUNT JR

WKR
Flavor was excellent, I smoked it naked for about 2-3 hours before wrapping it and finishing it off. It was dryer and chewier than I would have liked, but overall a good test. I think if I were to do another one, I would have soaked the brisket in apple juice/ whatever sauce the entire cook and I think it would have kept more moisture that way.

peterk123

WKR
Flavor was excellent, I smoked it naked for about 2-3 hours before wrapping it and finishing it off. It was dryer and chewier than I would have liked, but overall a good test. I think if I were to do another one, I would have soaked the brisket in apple juice/ whatever sauce the entire cook and I think it would have kept more moisture that way.
Trying new things with game is the only way to figure things out. I am amazed how little I grind up these days. I actually have to force myself to grind up enough meat. Good on you for giving it a shot. Pete

CJF

WKR
Can’t be much different than elk, but a lot bigger. For my elk brisket I smoke it for a couple hours to give it the flavor them pressure cook it for about an hour to make it tender. Then sear it in a hot skillet to give it char….the pressure cooker takes the smoke char away.

Slice thin against the grain. It’s definitely one of my top 5 cuts from elk. Don’t expect it to be anything like beef brisket though.

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
I smoked my elk brisket this year with a thin layer of beef fat on top of it. Smoked it just like I would have a beef brisket until the internal temp reached 165 and then wrapped in butcher paper and returned to the smoker until 190 inside. Put the brisket in a cooler to rest for an hour after finished smoking. It was amazing.