Montana Spring Bear 2025 Start to Finish

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of turkeys, mostly in lower elevation areas is Western and SW MT. We have typically filled our turkey tags (archery) before the snow melt allows for green-up and prime time for bears.

Generally, turkeys are in the lower elevation areas and bears are following the snow line up eating new grass so you will find them when moving to and from glassing spots.

I noticed the bass in your signature. If you fill tags early, there is some world-class smallmouth (5-8 lb fish are common) fishing on Noxon, CoeurDAlene, Fort Peck, and Dworshak. I can provide information on guides if needed or send me a PM (I might be headed out if not chasing bears or fishing a tournament).

OP
bigbassfish
That's some great info! We're tentatively planning to head up the last week of May into the first week of June, but we should be able to flex that one way or another depending on snow once we get a little closer. We bass fish in the spring quite a bit, although recently we target walleye more than anything else. I hadn't thought of anything other than trout so I'll look into it for sure

OP
bigbassfish
In the spirit of keeping this up to date as my strategy and planning changes, went ahead and picked up a SO U turn in the classifieds, not sure how much use we'll get out of it in Montana but really looking forward to our first hot tent and upping our car camping game.

I'd scrap the backpack camp idea at least for now. Take that money and put a nice canopy on your truck and put a good thick memory foam pad in the bed. You will have plenty of areas to day hunt and have a nice comfortable DRY place to come back to. Maybe every couple days get a room if you want to shower.

Maybe after getting to know a few areas you can expand the camp and pick up the backpack camp stuff in a few years if you want to continue with that. Most people find that it's not needed for spring bear in the areas you are wanting to hunt.
I would 100% second this and the logic tracks perfectly. Mentally committing to and planning for a backpack hunt is almost setting yourself up for disappointment. Snow line and road conditions will flip your plan upside down in a hurry. Have plans A, B, C, D and let the conditions make the call