Montana season change proposal

WCB

WKR
I’m all for lowering pressure on the mule deer heard at this point but I don’t really see this being the way to go. I think a better place to start would be cutting back on the 76,000 non resident tags they sell every year, making NR pick a unit and not a general anywhere you want to go tag.
Nothing against the NR hunters, but cutting back tags would be a good start.
Unfortunately that will never happen because the MT FWP would be able to slide all that money into their pockets.
Im an NR and not against reducing some tags (especially B tags for NR and R). I think at least a region specific tag to start with and obviously specific regional limits on tags.

Also, MTFWP needs to look at jacking up Resident prices.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also, MTFWP needs to look at jacking up Resident prices.

Agreed, well except for residents 65 years and older, reduce those by at least 50% :ROFLMAO:

Going through al the potential changes again (and there are lots); I think I could get behind the declaring the deer species; I think I could get behind the two separate seasons for mule deer and elk (hunting mule deer outside the rut); reducing mule deer doe tags is already started (R6&7)—that's a no brainer and should have happened 10-20 years ago

What I'm not overly comfortable with is choose your region for deer. I've got friends and relatives all of the state (from Eureka to Ekalaka) and being pigeon holed into one region pretty much puts a kibosh on hunting with those folks and those varied areas.

Cow hunting only on private land, yeah I'm not thrilled with that at all. Not lots of good opportunities on private land and is only getting less and less. If the district is at or below objective—fine. If the district is above objective, issue B tags or just make that district either sex—lots of folks would use their A elk tag to harvest a cow.

Lots to digest that's for sure. I'm still wondering with so many sweeping changes if it wouldn't be better to cherry pick a couple of the best changes and start there????????

finner

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed, well except for residents 65 years and older, reduce those by at least 50% :ROFLMAO:

Going through al the potential changes again (and there are lots); I think I could get behind the declaring the deer species; I think I could get behind the two separate seasons for mule deer and elk (hunting mule deer outside the rut); reducing mule deer doe tags is already started (R6&7)—that's a no brainer and should have happened 10-20 years ago

What I'm not overly comfortable with is choose your region for deer. I've got friends and relatives all of the state (from Eureka to Ekalaka) and being pigeon holed into one region pretty much puts a kibosh on hunting with those folks and those varied areas.

Cow hunting only on private land, yeah I'm not thrilled with that at all. Not lots of good opportunities on private land and is only getting less and less. If the district is at or below objective—fine. If the district is above objective, issue B tags or just make that district either sex—lots of folks would use their A elk tag to harvest a cow.

Lots to digest that's for sure. I'm still wondering with so many sweeping changes if it wouldn't be better to cherry pick a couple of the best changes and start there????????
I agree. While I think every one of the changes is worthwhile and deserves consideration, I'd also like to see MTFWP take a measured approach to this so they can determine which changes actually produce the desired result. I realize that's a little out of character for the Department, but since we're being wishful...

Taking the season out of the rut is the biggest change and should absolutely be implemented first. To my unscientific mind, that alone is going to catalyze a significant change in age class structure.

Fowl Play

WKR
I feel like you could accomplish everything you want for mule deer by limiting B tags and just bringing back archery season for everything for a week or two in November. No major season changes, you can still hunt them during the rut, just with a more primitive weapon. Or make it archery in just specific regions where they are hurting.

Andyram_18

Lil-Rokslider
If decoupling seasons is a priority, and restoring mule deer population age class:
1) Move mule deer seasons to middle October, which biologically is the hardest time to kill them. No more rut hunting or at least move the season structure up for 5 years and see what the data shows.
2) keep hunting bulls during November, sounds like the populations are handling it, and remember, NR elk tags pay the bills, and fund agencies for projects, research, and other crucial items. You don’t want to reduce the NR or discourage them from coming to the state and paying to hunt elk. Long and liberal seasons are big reasons for this! Colorado is facing dilemma, because their elk can’t support OTC, but they also can’t go to a draw because they need the money!

Andyram_18

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like you could accomplish everything you want for mule deer by limiting B tags and just bringing back archery season for everything for a week or two in November. No major season changes, you can still hunt them during the rut, just with a more primitive weapon. Or make it archery in just specific regions where they are hurting.
I would support this. Still lots of opportunity, but my guess would be that you lose a lot of participation because it’s not an easy hunt!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
It’s funny how people equate “healthy” deer herds with amount of trophy bucks. A deer herd can be quite healthy with 0 five year old bucks. Deer numbers are determined my does, stop shooting females and deer umbers go up.

Why does every state have to be “trophy” and “age class”, and can’t hunt the rut.

fatlander

WKR
Another thing to consider, why do we need to manage the entire state with one season date? Nearly every other state has separate seasons dates for different regions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because people are lazy.

brockel

WKR
It’s funny how people equate “healthy” deer herds with amount of trophy bucks. A deer herd can be quite healthy with 0 five year old bucks. Deer numbers are determined my does, stop shooting females and deer umbers go up.

Why does every state have to be “trophy” and “age class”, and can’t hunt the rut.
Region 7 is down 55% from long term averages on mule deer numbers. That’s what the complaining is about “healthy” deer herds. It’s not antler size

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Region 7 is down 55% from long term averages on mule deer numbers. That’s what the complaining is about “healthy” deer herds. It’s not antler size

Yes it is- this whole thread (the deer parts) are about eliminating mule deer hunting during the rut for buck size/age. If it’s deer numbers, stop shooting does- zero reason to change buck season or take.

Jon Boy

WKR

Pretty simple fix there, they should have never approved 7k mule deer doe tags that were valid on public land. Hunting was fantastic in the late teens in r7 but it didn’t take long for FWP to **** that one up.

Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
Montana is WAY overdue to 1) split deer and elk seasons separately like EVERY OTHER STATE 2) stop November mule deer hunting, and 3) establish better limits on Non resident hunters for deer/elk.

Randy11

Lil-Rokslider
Yes it is- this whole thread (the deer parts) are about eliminating mule deer hunting during the rut for buck size/age. If it’s deer numbers, stop shooting does- zero reason to change buck season or take.

Quality of the hunt also played in to this. The current season structure congests hunters to a very specific time window (rut), and location (winter range).

The general units in Montana have turned in to an absolute rodeo during the rut, and the quality of the hunt has been diminished significantly.

I was the region 2 representative in this group, and spreading hunting pressure out was a big motivation for me.

I find it interesting that a decline in mule deer in regions 6 and 7 is a calamity while a near eradication of mule deer in region 300 between the 80s and present is of no concern.

In the late 80s I saw 100-200 deer per day. I haven't seen a buck of any kind since 2005. I have seen a few tracks but last year I only saw one doe over 35 days in the field. Mt FWP still gives out 50 doe tags in my area. Why?

I asked FWP why the mule deer died in 94 and no one has a clue or cares. I wish the agency would base their decisions on field time as opposed to outfitter pressure.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I find it interesting that a decline in mule deer in regions 6 and 7 is a calamity while a near eradication of mule deer in region 300 between the 80s and present is of no concern.

In the late 80s I saw 100-200 deer per day. I haven't seen a buck of any kind since 2005. I have seen a few tracks but last year I only saw one doe over 35 days in the field. Mt FWP still gives out 50 doe tags in my area. Why?

I asked FWP why the mule deer died in 94 and no one has a clue or cares. I wish the agency would base their decisions on field time as opposed to outfitter pressure.
I hunt in R3 as well, racking up a lot of days in the field, mostly chasing elk. The areas I hunt hold good deer habitat, yet a deer sighting is almost nil. Rarely even a single track. It leaves me scratching my head on why????

Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt in R3 as well, racking up a lot of days in the field, mostly chasing elk. The areas I hunt hold good deer habitat, yet a deer sighting is almost nil. Rarely even a single track. It leaves me scratching my head on why????
I’ve hunted region 3 for almost 40 years have only taken 1 mule deer. I’m not scratching my head as to why. Decades of hunting through November has a cost.