Montana Rifle Co X2 Extreme

Jake C.

FNG
Does anyone have one of these rifles they could give me a review on or ever handled one, any insight or advice is welcome. I had my mind set on a Christensen Ridgeline about a month ago but it seems like the X2 is just as good of a rifle for 500 dollars less. Ive already got the cash saved up for the Ridgeline but if I went with the X2, that extra cash could go to a scope. The only thing i dont like about the X2 is that the 300WM has a 24 inch barrel, id have to step up to a 300RUM to get a 26 in barrel. The 300RUM ammo is just so much more expensive than 300WM. Im god awful at deciding what I want if you cant tell!! I just want the better rifle of the two! Planning a backcountry Mule deer hunt in Montana for the rifles maiden voyage and it will be used for Indiana whitetails as well. Thanks

For backcountry mule deer and whitetail i dont see the need for a 26" barrel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Im getting the 26in because i want the most i can get out of the bullet, i know you really don't lose much but its just what i would prefer.

Which bullet are you planning to shoot? And was your original plan to buy a 300 win mag? If so, I would stick to that plan as the win mag is plenty for deer hunting. As you said, stepping up to the rum adds a lot of costs.

If a 26" is that important to you, go with the Ridgeline. If you want to save $500, then go with the Montana. You can always put a longer barrel on the Montana down the road if you don't like the 24" barrel. I'll assure you that you won't notice the difference in the two lengths based on performance.

I have 2 X2's, a 7x57 and a 300H&H. The only reason I bought them was that I had a window of opportunity to get the special order chamberings.
Both are MOA shooters, mediocre execution, some OCD cosmetic issues, both are about 8-1/4 lbs with a scope.

The Montana is way ahead in terms of fit, finish, performance and value for money spent.

You will tire very quickly of dealing with the recoil, bulk and weight of the 300WM; you are past the point of diminishing marginal returns for a rifle for deer only. If you plan on using it something else like elk, that is another matter.

The 300 UM is nasty to shoot with a lot of muzzle blast and recoil, Reminton discontinued the brass some time ago.

Good luck with your decision.

I have one in 338 Win Mag. I ordered mine built with a 20" barrel because I live in Southeast Alaska and have to deal with a lot of brush.
My honest opinion of this rifle is mixed....which is kind of funny. Fit and finish is what you would expect for a stainless over synthetic rifle. The stainless alloy does rust quicker than other stainless rifle I own. But, anything and everything rusts in Southeast Alaska.
The magazine box is pretty short in comparison to the chamber. I haven't been able to load a cartridge anywhere close to the lands. The action size Montana Rifle Company uses for the 338 is the same as the 375 H&H. Montana Rifle Company will sell you a new mag well, bolt stop and ejector to make the magazine box and bolt through long enough to get to the lands with reloads....however I haven't done that yet. One of my hunting partners has a matching rifle built with the longer magazine box...but hasn't been able to get less than 1.5MOA accuracy with his rifle.
I have been getting 1 - 1.5 MOA accuracy with reloads. Not stellar accuracy...and that's where my mixed feeling of the rifle come in. I'd sure like to count on my 338 as a tack driving long range hitter. Maybe I'm asking too much of the rifle as far as accuracy goes.
But, I have take a moose (@35 yds) and a bison (@300 yds) with the rifle.....so it isn't a tack driver but.....its a killer.

What ever they cover the stock with is tough. It takes the paint off of what ever it rubs against (pack frame, etc). When ever I get back from the brush it takes a lot of work to get the bark and brush scrapes out of the stock paint. The rifle is fine...however the brush takes a hit.

The bison hunt was in weather that ranged from 20 to -10. The rifle seamed to operate fine.

Hope this helps

Todd
Juneau, AK

Back