Montana Moose 2

MTChemist

FNG
Alright, there is another thread titled "Montana Moose" and I have found myself in the same situation.

This year I decided to start building my preference points for moose, except instead of getting a preference point I drew a 240-50 moose tag. I am beside myself and can't believe how fortunate I am to draw this tag. That being said I am also slightly terrified, I feel very unprepared. I have never hunted moose before and was not expecting to draw this year, but what I may, currently, lack in knowledge I make up for in drive. I have already began reading forums, studying my quarry, and pouring over maps of the area. I have hunted HD 240 before so I have some maps and know how harsh the country is. Being from Missoula I have plenty of chances to get out to the area.

My brother in-law has hunted moose in Alaska and Canada, I am hoping to convince him to join me on this experience. If nothing else he will be an invaluable resource, but I am reaching out to anyone willing to share their wisdom, provide information, or just offer suggestions to a first time moose Hunter.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, this will be an experience of a life time no matter what. Whether I fill the tag or not I want to have a successful hunt and not waste the tag because I am unprepared for the challenge this will be. Thank you all in advance.

I spend quite a bit of time in 240, albeit further north than what you will likely be hunting. Other than mmw's moose I know of one other that was killed in there last year with a bow that went mid 140's. I will keep an eye out!

Thanks BackcountryMT any info is useful. I have a lot of scouting to do as the majority of my time in 240 has been spent in the northern portion deer and elk hunting. It's good to hear of others success in the area.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll add that to my list of places to check out. Im going to try and figure out which roads will be open during the season. I would think most of them should still be open at least for the first few weeks of the season, but I'm not sure.

Back