Montana hunting dogs

peterk123

WKR
I've had dogs all my life. They have been my fishing, hiking and mountain biking companions. I love dogs. My last one passed almost two years ago. I love the freedom of not having one but my wife has got the itch. I told her that if we get one I want to train it to hunt. I've never hunted upland birds, but it is very high on my bucket list and I now live in a great state to do it. What is a great all around bird dog? Catahoula is one that seems to pop up in our searches. And of course a lab is always a safe bet. Thx Pete

jimh406

WKR
Any versatile breed like Brittany, German Wirehair, etc. Also, flushing dogs like labs, golden, springer spaniel. If you plan to waterfowl hunt, the lab is probably the best bet.

There are a lot of great upland dogs, are you thinking flusher or pointer?

Maybe check out the upland journal forum if you haven’t already, lots of good info there.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Pudelpointer. Upland only or versatile. Super smart, strong prey drive, calms down in the house, amps outside, doesn't shed (wife's ask), great personality. We've been absolutely overjoyed with her. There are good breeders in MT and ID. Coat is important. She has a medium dense coat, which can collect early season burrs, etc, but sheds well later in the season. I manage. Pudelpointers also come in smooth coat (short, smooth like a lab that doesn't collect) and fleece or woolly which is to be avoided. They are a burr and water magnet. Her hunting partner is a german wirehair which is an absolute stud. His coat tends to collect less compared to her. It's another great breed to consider. They along with the other german breeds by reputation don't amp down in the house as much. Good luck!

hobbes

WKR
Griffon, German Wirehair, Drat, Pudelpointer, Lab. I think any one of those depending on what works best for you and family. I have griffons now and had a German Wirehair as well. In years past I've had labs, a setter, and an English pointer. I loved them all, probably the pointer the least, but will probably continue with the griffons. I'd recommend a tighter coat than mine have.
IMG_20230105_082247601.jpg

MattB

WKR
The guys above have it covered.

I have never heard of Catahoulas being used as bird dogs. Pigs yes, birds no.

Wolf_trapper

Lil-Rokslider
Airedales can be really good upland dogs plus if you're in Mt and run into griz that can be good at dealing with them too. Most bird dogs I've seen would piss themselves if they ran into a griz in a coulee.

KenLee

WKR
Airedales can be really good upland dogs plus if you're in Mt and run into griz that can be good at dealing with them too. Most bird dogs I've seen would piss themselves if they ran into a griz in a coulee.
Best wounded game trailing dog I ever saw work was a 3 legged Airedale 😀

MT-Native

FNG
My vote for a Montana Bird dog is a Chesapeake, they are exceptionally durable and smart. There is a great breeder down in Twin Bridges otherwise sometimes tough to find.

hobbes

WKR
Whatever you get, if you plan to hunt upland through December. It better be able to withstand the cold.

This is a bit extreme but you get the picture:

This. American Swiffer-hund. So called because of its propensity to pick up dirt. American Swiffer-hunds have been known to return from a walk carrying their own weight in mud and sand. Will not hunt but very fond of Seinfeld reruns and cheezits. Also has an amazing ability to detect the presence of UPS / FedEx / USPS or other delivery vehicles, and alerts with a brain piercing series of high pitched yapping. When angered they will fearlessly attack whatever is in front of them and absolutely will not retreat unless picked up by the scruff and soothed with cuddling and soft cooing noises. The true usefulness of the breed is as a hot water bottle.

To be fair I’ve never asked him to hunt, but he does love to hike.

F2FFAF92-B04C-4354-94ED-31B80BAE09D2.jpeg

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I speak for myself here, but for me GSP's are the best dog there is and I think a lot about most hunting dogs. They are great upland hunting dogs and have webbed feet and are just as good at water fowl hunting. They have a fantastic disposition and want nothing more than to please you, and make great family dogs. I have had seven GSP's. I simply love the breed.017.jpeg

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
Any of the versatile breeds mentioned above would be a great option. I’m partial to Brittany’s. Find a good breeder and get eyes on the Mom and Dad. If possible watch them work some birds (pigeons, planted quail/chukar/or wild)

I speak for myself here, but for me GSP's are the best dog there is and I think a lot about most hunting dogs. They are great upland hunting dogs and have webbed feet and are just as good at water fowl hunting. They have a fantastic disposition and want nothing more than to please you, and make great family dogs. I have had seven GSP's. I simply love the breed.View attachment 510520
I second that, the long haired versions are too much work with picking out brambles. I love my GSP and some of the aforementioned are no match on upland.

Mt Al

WKR
Nothing new to add other than a mutt isn't a bad choice. Mine's half lab, half boarder collie and does everything I ask of him with very little training.

GSP, German wirehairs are, IMHO, the ticket for ducks, geese, mountain grouse and huns/sharptails. No perfect dog but if I were more dedicated in terms of bird hunting, that's what I'd get.

Then there's the whole training thing....

If you plan to keep the dog in the house get a griff. I had 2 goldens prior and my buddies all have labs. The shedding is ridiculous and gets to be a huge PIA over time. Not only are griffs incredibly effective versatile dogs, they are wonderful family dogs and shed very little if at all. My tight coated Griff doesn’t shed unless I get the stripper out.

KurtR

WKR
Versatile dogs do alot of things good. They aint retrieving like a retriever or pointing like a pointer.