Montana guide for a real learning experience?

I want to go on a guided trip for a MT archery elk hunt, but on public land with the focus to really be on learning and being able to apply what I do to future DIY hunts. Obviously it would be great if in the end we put a bull down, but I’d rather learn a ton and not kill anything than be paraded around private land with little to bo direction and be successful.

Does anyone know who I can hunt with to get this kind of experience?

WMag338

WKR
I've done this same thing. I've learned a ton from hunting with different outfitters and guides. I'm definitely not an elk whisperer, but its cut my learning curve way down for sure.

Lots of folks have good info on outfitters on here.

hiker270

WKR
There are a lot of good outfitters and a lot that are not. Even the good outfitters hire guides and unless you have been hunting with and outfitter for several years and request a guide your familiar with you never know what your getting. Montana will be a draw so it may take a few years and preference points to get a tag. Most of Colorado is over the counter archery.

OP
T
I’ve already put in a couple years in Montana, i should be 100% to get a tag this year per the numbers from last year

tntrker

WKR
I've been on 3 guided hunts in Montana and only 1 was worth it. Look up Waypoint Outfitters. Josh and his crew are legit & hard working. All his guides are there year round so they know the area. Definatly the hardest working crew I've had. If I draw with 2 pts, I'll be going back to them again this year.

OP
T
I’ve heard so much negative about the elk numbers up in that part of the state, how was that during the hunt with them?

bsnedeker

WKR
I’ve heard so much negative about the elk numbers up in that part of the state, how was that during the hunt with them?
I live in NW MT....I think you would be foolish to spend 4500-6000 dollars on a guided elk hunt up here. Great spot for hunting predators, but elk hunting SUCKS. Don't get me wrong, guys get it done every single year but if I was paying real money I would pick an area of the state where there are actual elk numbers.

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
I had planned on using an outfitter in Montana two years ago and he ended up taking our money and left the state along with several other peoples money. So I can't recommend an outfitter, but ended up going DIY and was really glad we didn't use an outfitter. Had a great hunt and my son ended up shooting a bull during archery season. I did get a call from the game warden last month just to let me know they haven't given up on trying to catch this guy.

Several of us W MT (and especially NW MT) guys have commented on several of these Outfitter threads over the past year plus. Search for them, some have specific Outfitters to stay away from, others are more general.
Be VERY careful in ANY general hunting unit on public land where an Outfitter is blowing smoke up your ass. Be VERY skeptical.

OP
T
Yeah I’ve seen that said a lot in my searches…. So are we basically saying Missoula and south is kind of the line?

bsnedeker

WKR
Yeah I’ve seen that said a lot in my searches…. So are we basically saying Missoula and south is kind of the line?
You can also look at Central Montana. Tons of guides out there, although a lot of them do lease out private ranches (since that's where most of the elk are), but I'm sure you could find someone who would tromp around public with you.

There is a thread about that specific unit. There are elk… 85% of them reside on 3 large private ranches and/or head straight for those ranches quickly.
Another thing to be aware of in the majority of W MT is that Outfitters USED to be permitted to a specific area. That is no longer the case in most areas. It’s the Wild West, it’s on them to report their Use Days. As the post above said, look at private in Central MT if you’re going to pay. Outfitting on most of the public land in W MT is egregiously overpriced snake oil.

I want to go on a guided trip for a MT archery elk hunt, but on public land with the focus to really be on learning and being able to apply what I do to future DIY hunts. Obviously it would be great if in the end we put a bull down, but I’d rather learn a ton and not kill anything than be paraded around private land with little to bo direction and be successful.

Does anyone know who I can hunt with to get this kind of experience?
@Deadfall