Montana Elk Hunting - Advice for a new Hunter

He’s working on it. But I have to say…. I read threads from rookies. Every once in awhile they say something that I haven’t thought of. I keep an open mind. We are always learning something. Unless you’re close minded.

I like to read them because often there are dudes who are recently successful for the first time and want everyone to know it and they share stuff I personally wouldn't.

I like to read them because often there are dudes who are recently successful for the first time and want everyone to know it and they share stuff I personally wouldn't.
Let me get this straight. He should go learn for himself… on the internet…. but not here or a on any other hunting forum. Ok. Oh and new hunters who finally get an elk on the ground shouldn’t get excited and share their experience. Nothing for you to learn from them anyway. Ok.

Here folks we have another anti social hunter who spends time on social media. Lol

I think an important issue is we need to share how but not necessarily where. 'Where ' takes me an investment of 5-7 years on the ground before I understand it enough to feel comfortable and to get successful.

The only time I have ever given a 'where' was to students of mine on the conditions that they report back to me as to what they found. The location was usually a place I was curious about but had not done the necessary recon to fully figure it out.

By the time I have spent the necessary recon to be able to utilize an area, that knowledge is family property only.

wyogoat

WKR
I think I've read every post so far and there's actually some really valuable information if you mine through the ribbing; some deserved and some because that's the culture of this site. I think t_carlson gave you a huge piece of information so run with that. I am going to give you the best piece of elk hunting advice that I have and you can take that and what he gave you and go from there; be willing to do what no one else is willing to do (or at least what you think they aren't). That is going to reshape your mentality around terrain and grizzly country but we will get to that.
I'm in Wyoming and never hunted Montana elk but I have found most people aren't willing to pack a certain distance in, or drop x amount of elevation knowing they have to pack a dead one back up. Look at maps, look at areas from the road. I found my most productive spot from seeing it from 6 miles away and seeing the topography and checked a map and no roads then packed in and was in elk day 1. Some of that is luck and some is knowing there are elk there; and that is a general WY unit. Look at maps you are interested in, see the nasty contour lines, see the limited access and get in there and see. I believe the hardest thing I have ever done is pack out a mature bull alone with 2k of steep elevation gain but I had a plan and the mental fortitude to get that done so work on that part, it won't be easy as someone stated above...make sure everyone in your group has the same view.
As far as bears go, just do everything right. I hang food downwind of camp and zero cooking or snacks in the tent and wrappers and trash don't stay in the pack. There are a lot of guys on here with way more grizz country experience but I spend a fair amount of time every year in grizzly country and I don't lose sleep when I know I have done everything I can. In the field, read the bear. I've had boars at 20 yards and didn't reach for my .44, just don't overreact. If getting a fence helps you be ok in those areas do it. Get out in areas that look good, sign from last year will still be there to give you an idea if you're on the right track. I'm headed to MT this week to scout, ya it is a pain driving 8 hours but I'm really excited about it. Make it a fun thing, pack light and camp in an area.
One last thing that I'm sure you know is elk shape is a real thing. People talk sheep shape and I agree, those are hard days. I start working on being in September elk archery shape on October 1st.
Send me a pic of your Montana bull when you get one...

gabenzeke

WKR
I think I've read every post so far and there's actually some really valuable information if you mine through the ribbing; some deserved and some because that's the culture of this site. I think t_carlson gave you a huge piece of information so run with that. I am going to give you the best piece of elk hunting advice that I have and you can take that and what he gave you and go from there; be willing to do what no one else is willing to do (or at least what you think they aren't). That is going to reshape your mentality around terrain and grizzly country but we will get to that.
I'm in Wyoming and never hunted Montana elk but I have found most people aren't willing to pack a certain distance in, or drop x amount of elevation knowing they have to pack a dead one back up. Look at maps, look at areas from the road. I found my most productive spot from seeing it from 6 miles away and seeing the topography and checked a map and no roads then packed in and was in elk day 1. Some of that is luck and some is knowing there are elk there; and that is a general WY unit. Look at maps you are interested in, see the nasty contour lines, see the limited access and get in there and see. I believe the hardest thing I have ever done is pack out a mature bull alone with 2k of steep elevation gain but I had a plan and the mental fortitude to get that done so work on that part, it won't be easy as someone stated above...make sure everyone in your group has the same view.
As far as bears go, just do everything right. I hang food downwind of camp and zero cooking or snacks in the tent and wrappers and trash don't stay in the pack. There are a lot of guys on here with way more grizz country experience but I spend a fair amount of time every year in grizzly country and I don't lose sleep when I know I have done everything I can. In the field, read the bear. I've had boars at 20 yards and didn't reach for my .44, just don't overreact. If getting a fence helps you be ok in those areas do it. Get out in areas that look good, sign from last year will still be there to give you an idea if you're on the right track. I'm headed to MT this week to scout, ya it is a pain driving 8 hours but I'm really excited about it. Make it a fun thing, pack light and camp in an area.
One last thing that I'm sure you know is elk shape is a real thing. People talk sheep shape and I agree, those are hard days. I start working on being in September elk archery shape on October 1st.
Send me a pic of your Montana bull when you get one...
My experience has been the opposite. There's always someone willing to hike further. But nasty thick and/or steep will get you into elk. I find them not too far from roads and trailheads as long as there's something between the road and the elk that other people see as too much of a pain. In my experience, as soon as you've out hiked the guys on foot, you're running into the guys with horses.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

wyogoat

WKR
Well I believe there is a bubble there that he will figure out. Can’t get too long winded in these posts.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Elk areas are hard earned and I’ve witnessed long time friends and family about throw down due to sharing too much information with people outside the immediate tight group. Nothing beats boots on the ground and experience gained through years and decades walking elk mountains. After enough years and success you just know where they will likely be, contingent on other factors you can’t control. Control what you can and enjoy the learning curve. I will be the odd man and post an actual map and hunt as it played out to see how to it can play out and what to look for once you get a basic idea of the general elk habits In a given area. Nwest Montana I hunted this corner of the state for 20 years. I would hunt it after my Idaho hunt and typically would pass on many bulls as I had one from Idaho in the freezer. This year Idaho was very good to me and wanted to try something new and a new place. Week before season drove roads to see lay of land and what roads were gated. Simply picked this spot on the map knowing likely what the local outfitters would do, as road above was gated and an easy walk to see brush fields. Picked one of the steepest ridges from below that few if any would walk uphill two hours before daylight with no trail and climb 2k in a mile. Opening day arrived I left my house at 1 am and started hiking at 4 am. Uphill I went sticks in the face and sweat pouring. Top of the mountain 5800 and road at 2400. Elk will find the median line typically and ease of travel with little benches for bedding in this country. That means about 3600 plus or minus. You will see there are some nice benches at 4k on this map. Daybreak I was at 4k and was in elk about 45 minutes later finding fresh rubs and tracks. I circled basin one glassing and listening. As I hit the next ridge I could see orange pumpkins staked out above the brush fields about 1500 yds from above and below of hunters who came in below but were not and did not climb up to my elevation. I glassed them all and they were not moving nor would be moving they had gone far enough🤣 I then cut smoking fresh tracks of a herd about 5 strong who had milled overnight at the edge of the brush field at about 4300. I sat down for about 30 minutes to assess and watch the other hunters and listen. Opening day not one shot fired Yet. This herd was likely right below me and entering the north face for bedding. I was likely just above them. Sun was out and thermals rising. I made sure some of the hunters could see me and could read their mind. Where did that mofo come from and how did he get in the middle🤣 I let the wind change started down to the first good bench and they were there. Hunt over. Later packing meat met some of the guys from below at their camp. They had been hunting here for decades never seen anyone just pull up to one of these steep ridges and bushwhack vertical in the dark that far. Was I in 10 miles, No, was I in a place few would venture at daybreak Yes. Was there some luck, Yes there was a herd where I had learned they like to live at. After enough seasons and learning an area you can begin to think like an elk🤙 No secret spot here nor a place I will go again so not worried about posting a random mountain in heavy wolf country, simply a real example of how it can play out once you learn elk and the country you have chosen.

Attachments

• ADA56D42-C642-42C1-B76C-B58D2FFA1C0E.png
    ADA56D42-C642-42C1-B76C-B58D2FFA1C0E.png
    917.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 220F6372-382D-4F7A-A647-B934E8DCCFF2.png
    220F6372-382D-4F7A-A647-B934E8DCCFF2.png
    552.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 10E227F9-6BF3-4443-B5BF-1D904EC31A05.png
    10E227F9-6BF3-4443-B5BF-1D904EC31A05.png
    841.4 KB · Views: 100
  • EA03E7AE-DB0C-4C7D-930B-E86AD565C236.png
    EA03E7AE-DB0C-4C7D-930B-E86AD565C236.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 105
  • 16A7B0C6-DC89-466C-9368-2118246B4A9A.png
    16A7B0C6-DC89-466C-9368-2118246B4A9A.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
  • A12E626B-8E62-48EE-A2A9-CC02E7FCCC4B.jpeg
    A12E626B-8E62-48EE-A2A9-CC02E7FCCC4B.jpeg
    394.2 KB · Views: 106

Deadfall

WKR
Welcome to the site. Being thinned skinned here is a terrible idea. You will find a abundance of aid. Provided you ask the right questions. And give back. Usually better to give first. Then take.

Right now you not asking the right questions.

You went to a lumber yard looking for steak, then asked the salesman where cars are sold.
Point being get the horse back in front of the cart.

Here's some questions for you.
What do elk like? Type of food at what time of year?
Type of cover at what time of year?
What effect does weather have?
Do bulls live differently then cows?

What is a bull looking for at each season of year?
What is a cow looking for at each season of year?
Predator concerns, major thing or minor thing?
What other species do elk live similar too that I could observe and get a idea of body language?

I'll stop there with questions. I spent years and years learning this stuff the hard way. Personally I believe it's the best way.

I could give you exact digits to 400 elk living in a quiet drainage. Odds are really good you still wouldn't get a crack at one. Not because you don't know how to hunt. Because you don't understand how to hunt elk.

Once you understand elk and thier motives, where to hunt and when to hunt them there are a piece of cake.

Buy some books. Study thier biology.

Then go find water. Start at big water and follow it up hill. BreKung off to go up tributaries. Keep doing that until you find tracks. Then start following tracks.

Please come back and tell us how it went!

Greenhorn

FNG
I haven’t received any hot tip hunting destination private messages yet - you rotten selfish bastards.

Another hunt forum / similar question asked a different way with goid answers provided as the question had nothing to do with “where”.

Let me get this straight. He should go learn for himself… on the internet…. but not here or a on any other hunting forum. Ok. Oh and new hunters who finally get an elk on the ground shouldn’t get excited and share their experience. Nothing for you to learn from them anyway. Ok.

Here folks we have another anti social hunter who spends time on social media. Lol

Did you actually read what I wrote for comprehension, and with an open mind? Try again fella.

Certainly a differant question. I found the answer to that one in "Elk of North America" in 1970. That discussed behavioral patterns that were further embelloushed in Outdoor Life articles of the 1970s and early 80s. I have found that the evolution of those articles degraded into who to hire rather than where to look.

As in the referenced discussion, big bulls do not usually show up with the cows until late November. After the rut they tend to buddy up with a couple bulls and go to secluded spots that have cover, food and water. Often smaller than 5-10 acres where they won't be disturbed. Might be extremely high or low in the late winter range. The only consistant thing is that there usually isn't any cows. The bulls with cows are usually spikes through raghorns hanging around momma.

As usual the most important issue is what question did you ask ?

Greenhorn

FNG
NOBODY with a brain who has valuable hard earned hunting location details is going to share general MT public land hot spots. You have to do the work, even if it takes years of failing.

A limited quota hunt might be different - a few might throw you a bone.

Last edited:

Lock

FNG
Any unit thats got tags has reasonable/hunt-able numbers. Pick one you want to see and learn where the live its really that simple if you can/are willing to put the necessary work in to get to them and mainly the effort to get them out. I would highly recommend making connections with someone that can assist pack-out with stock as it can/will greatly expand what ground you reasonably can go to and naturally the rate of success

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
But to be fair that usually doesn’t happen until there have been several sarcastic wise ass comments.

Do you not think this guys sounds like a nice enough dude! He’s polite. Not lazy. In my opinion some people on here have no clue what pieces of information it’s ok to share. They’re just jumping in with the click of guys who only have one thing to say: Don’t ask! That or “Don’t tell him”.

The west is huge. There are pieces of general information that are ok to pass on that simply get a new hunter pointed in the right direction. Don’t forget people… at some point in time someone helped all of us. If you have become a consistently successful elk hunter what are you afraid of? Surely you have some old spots you learned along the way that you could pass on to someone who filled your rookie shoes. I’ve been screwed a few times by telling someone my spots. Some people don’t realize how sacred that is and think it’s ok to bring a friend, who brings 2 friends. But to say something like…”Feel free to look around in the Bitterroot. No grizzlies” shouldn’t be a problem. The word Bitterroot encompasses a huge area made up of many units. It’s diverse. Everything from way too much private land to wilderness. It narrows things down a bit… but it’s still almost like saying “Try Montana”

Maybe I’m a fool but why can’t we all just get along here? I can’t understand arrogance. It’s childish. Woops I hope I didn’t insult anyone. Lol
This is an excellent response to sarcastic posts. Never understood why people don't just ignore a post they don't like. Smart ass comments make commenter seem small person.

As a general rule Montanans don't like anyone who "loves Montana so much they bought 20 acres". Gotta better luck getting your tires slashed than getting any help.

nappio

FNG
Hmm,, question on the coat details of the new guy. I spent the spring helping out the trauma center in Bozeman. Did as much investigating as I had time for made a lot of new friends. If members of the group could pick from the bitteroot regions, versus PONy,, Versus the land of the MONTANA cow company, near Bozeman, which would you choose to be the most successful? Dave