Montana Black Gold Ascent Bowsight

mtbshark

WKR
I have a version of the ascent on my bow and love it!
I have a five pin 19,19,10,10,10 fiber size sitting in the big dog vengeance head.
i dont think i will ever go back to a solid sight!
I do however shoot a lot at longer yardages.

One last thing for the next one i will not be getting the rear facing tape or the vengeance head (lots of weight out front)

Lawnboi

WKR
I don't have the 1 pin. But I do have a 4 pin.

I would recommend a dovetail mount. You get 3rd axis and a lot of adjustment. Not much more either.

I purchased mine with the standard travel, not the shorter one. I should have gotten the shorter one. I cannot get the full amount of travel out of my hunting bow. I could have easily saved the weight and went with the short travel ascent.

If you do go multi pin, I wouldn't recommend the vengeance head, if I could do it again id get the surge head.

No input on the single pin, but the body and everything else on the sights are identical.

SandS archery is where I got mine and he has competitive prices, and also the site allows you to see what it would cost however you want yours set up

SDHNTR

WKR
I had one and it rattled loose on the most important hunt of my life. Desert sheep. Was constantly tightening things back up on it . Lost confidence in it. Bought a Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg. No comparison at all built like a tank and failproof.

I have a five pin Ascent sight, and I LOVE it. Lightweight; brightest pins on the market; no sunburst on bright days due to the photochromatic shell; durable, slider works easily and smoothly, leaving room for a quiver, and impeccable customer service! It is a winner all the way!

mtbshark

WKR
As did Lawnboi i got my ascent from steve at SandS good guy and competitive prices.

if i was to have a target bow i would probably get a single pin but since i rock one bow for everything I need multi pin!
If critter is within 65 yards no need to turn knob in field, one less thing to do wrong in my mind.

Solitude

WKR
I went with the 3 pin slider in my hunting rig. 5 is too cluttered for my eyes and simple mind. 1 is not enough for me.

Simple reasons I stayed away from a single pin are:
1) I have found myself in many, many, situations where there is simply not enough time to adjust a slider before I need to get a shot off.
2) I do not want to guess or "hold over", an animals kill zone is way to small for that IMO and accuracy is greatly compromised as you need to aim differently then you typically practice.
3) I would hate to have to adjust a site (and possibly forget) with a screaming bull charging in on me. This is just one more thing to got wrong at crunch time. Personally I like to eliminate this from the equation.

I set the three pins in 10 yard increments 20/30/40 or 30/40/50 and feel I am covered for almost all reasonable hunting shots given my abilities.

Personally I only use the slider to dial in perfectly for a long distance follow up kill shot or long distance practice/3D.

I am sure there are guys that can outshoot me with a single pin year around, but the above reflects my experiences based on my spot and stock techniques.

Black Gold is a great product with very easy pin adjustment. You will love them!

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Solitude.. I like your thinking.. I might go 3 pin (vs. 5) when I get my Ascent.. What head did you go with?

Lawnboi

WKR
I would go with the surge head. Iv got a vengeance and I think it adds a lot of un needed weight. A dovetail is also something that I would definelty spring for, I am happy with my 4 inch.

As far as pins, the great thing about those adjustable sites is to be able to rip off quick close range shots with no adjusting or fumbling around, while being able to dial it in for the longer ranges.

Iv got 4 pins on mine, if I could do it again I would get 3.

xxxarcher

FNG
The single pin ascent is what I run and I love it. Once you get use to it adjusting it quickly is not an issue. I set mine for 40 yds and on an elk if it's 40 or closer if you hold for a heart shot it's a dead elk! Of corse if I have time to range and set my sight exactly I will. I feel that I am way more accurate with the single vs a multipin. Good luck on your decision!