Montana Big Game Combo Hunt- Is it feasible?

OP
young7.3

young7.3

WKR
Are you planning rifle, bow, or combination of the two? If I were going rifle, I'd plan elk during last week of October in western half of Montana then deer in eastern half of Montana the first week of November. I'd know the regs where I hunted elk and keep an eye out for a good buck (if it's legal) just in case I ran into one. That'll put you back by the 11th.

We are thinking a combo of both! Thats a good game plan. I’ll keep it in mind!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feasible? Yes.

Worth the price? Maybe....

I've noticed a pretty common pattern around the state. In most places where there is decent general tag elk hunting, you will RARELY see a mature mule deer buck. I think the reason for this is that hunters go to the area for elk, don't get one (<10% success rate), and then see a forkhorn or 3pt mule deer close to the road and blast it so they "have some meat in the freezer." Dang near all of Region 3 and a good portion of Region 4 suffers from this disease.

Personally, I would not pay NR tag prices for the class of mule deer that are in most of the good elk hunting areas. Apparently, many disagree though...
I'd agree with t_carlson, this is very true in our valley which is in Region 3.

Mulie bucks worth shooting are up high. Elk are on lower benches. I would find some country where you can get up top and see a lot. As you’re looking for bucks above timberline keep your eyes open down along the edge of the timer for elk popping out to feed.

I didn’t see anyone ask if I’ve killed an elk. But yes I have, 4 actually. My dad has killed 10-15. We are well versed on elk, but not mule deer, hence my questions.

Thanks for everyone’s advice. Sounds like we should plan on hunting separate areas for the two species and possibly separate trips. If anyone else has any advise or tips they are more than welcome, thanks!

In your own past experience how many shooter bucks have you seen while elk hunting? In 35 years of hunting elk in western Montana I can count on 1 hand how many I’ve crossed paths with.

Extrapale

WKR
We used to have opportunities at both opening week of rifle in NW Montana. The elk were lower, but we were seeing them both from a ridgetop glassing point. This was not a good elk area, but there were some around. Other hunters spoiled a couple stalks on decent six points.

I killed both on a Thanksgiving trip to the same area. It was a raghorn and smaller whitetail though.

All the above took place 10-15 years ago. It may be completely different now. The wolves were really showing up when we quit going.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
young7.3

young7.3

WKR
In your own past experience how many shooter bucks have you seen while elk hunting? In 35 years of hunting elk in western Montana I can count on 1 hand how many I’ve crossed paths with.

Ive only seen 2 while elk hunting, but we have predominately only hunted Idaho. And this is Montana. Probably a little different terrain and such.

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted elk and deer in MT for over 20 years. Good elk hunting areas are typically marginal deer areas unless you are happy with a small deer. Late season can be good for both (elk on winter range and deer in rut) depending on the snow and migration. We have found a few nice deer (whitetail and mule deer) while elk hunting over the years, but generally target one species for better success.

Jon Boy

WKR
Those dates are def doable. Those low density mtn mule deer come out of the wood work that time of year. I've ran into a couple of timber trolls over the years hunting elk during the deer rut.
731891a79941c51cf972bea5dd371842.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

lintond

WKR
Saw a really nice bull I would have loved to shoot while hunting our general deer tag this year. I had filled my tag during archery season. Good luck on your hunt(s)

I’d do two trips or two distinct hunts so you can focus efforts.

eshunt

Lil-Rokslider
Not necessarily easy, but doable. I did it on an archery hunt a number of years ago. In 2022, I managed to get a deer, but not a bull on the combo. If you can afford it, I say go for it.

I answered my own question.
Shot them 4 days and about 10 miles apart.
fcd4fb6b86b178e1963d18b70aaee04d.jpg

6b3d02685bd01923bd9dd13acb88ea1e.jpg

Love this! Feedback on these forms is helpful, but can sometimes lead to self limitation.

You sent it and got it done! Looks like a super fun hunt.