Montana archery antelope

Finbob

FNG
Hello! I’ll be heading out on my second archery pronghorn hunt this fall. My first hunt was eastern CO last year. I didn’t get a goat, but learned a ton and had several close calls. I drew a 900 series tag in Montana this year and would love to hear any recommendations y’all have for the hunt. Likely, I’ll be staying on the eastern side of the state for the sake of being closer to home, but I’m open to suggestions. Also, are there any recommendations for fly fishing areas or upland hunting in eastern MT? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F

Finbob

FNG
I believe this will be helpful

Thanks! This was hilarious and very relatable lol. Someone told me to wear trail running shoes last year. Found out about the cacti the fun way lolololol

S.Clancy

WKR
I didnt kill a goat for yrs on that tag, but Ive killed the last 5 spot and stalk. Just remember it's possible, cause about 95% of the time it will seem like its not

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t hunt Montana but do in South Dakota. If your gonna try to do spot and stalk my advice is don’t even try if a goat isn’t in a good spot. 99% of the ones you see will be in an unstalkable spot, but the 1% you do find in good spots will be almost too easy to get close to. I’ve literally walked to within 25 yards of multiple antelope that bedded next to cuts or mounds when the wind was right

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck on the hunt, should be a blast! There is not much for fly fishing on that side of the state but there should be plenty of upland hunting over there depending on where you end up. I have not hunted it for birds for a few years but with all this rain this year it could be a decent year.

OP
F

Finbob

FNG
When are you planning on coming out? Keep in mind that the first upland season opens 9/1

I haven’t quite decided yet. I’ll either come out for opener or wait until mid September so I can also bird hunt. I can make my schedule open both times, I’m just trying to figure out what would be the best way to spend my time and make a trip out of it

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I haven’t quite decided yet. I’ll either come out for opener or wait until mid September so I can also bird hunt. I can make my schedule open both times, I’m just trying to figure out what would be the best way to spend my time and make a trip out of it

I’d go mid September. You’ll have most places to yourself because elk season, pronghorn are rutting, and bird hunt

I drew this tag in 2019. My advice is to go to the places that have rolling sage hill areas, lots of goats tucked in there and it makes for some fun stalks in the wash outs, with cover available.