Monopod vs. tripod - how much better

Idagnome

FNG
I've been running a Mountainsmith Trekker FX Lite Monopod as both a trekking pole and monopod for glassing. The top handle unscrews and has a 1/4-20 SAE threaded bolt that goes right on to a bino mount. I like that setup and it's been a good compromise between lightweight/versatility and some glassing stability, but as a monopod it still moves quite a bit and can't lock on any location. I'm upgrading my binos this winter and thinking about adding a tripod. How much better is a tripod vs. monopod/just holding steady binos on knees? Also, I probably wouldn't be willing to pack in a full size tripod so wondering if the Wiser Precision system would work and be an upgrade too. Or are there others I should consider? I'm in SE Idaho and mostly in high/forested mountains for elk and deer so not too much need for a spotter...yet.

dave3006

FNG
A monopod only works for me with stabilized binoculars. My Canon 10x42L IS is awesome with a trigger stick monopod. Fast as can be in action and adjustments.

If you are glassing (actual glassing and not looking/glancing - there is a difference), then you have to use a tripod. If it is only for a momentary to short duration look, you can rest the binoculars on a trekking pole, monopod, knee, etc.

Take two people with comparable glassing skills, same optics, same spot, and glass from dawn to dusk; one is using a tripod and one is using a monopod. At the end of the day, who do you think found more game, feels more refreshed, has less eye fatigue, etc?

A tripod is like AmEx: never leave home without it.

Blue72

WKR
I’m an avid monopod user and use one 90% of the time when looking up and down the coast at home

but it comes nowhere close to a tripod….tripods give you a jump in detail and allows you to glass further…..way further

A tripod is 3 times better...I couldnt resist.
But in all seriousness, its a night and day difference. I cant imagine not glassing off my tripod now. Its gotten to the point I dont even really like to hand hold at all, if I am going to be glassing for more than a few minutes or just a quick scan, I am setting up my tripod. World of difference for me.

I started with a monopod, and honestly if I didn't also want to shoot from my tripod I would switch back. I used a collapsible carbon fiber monopod with a tiny ball head screwed right into an outdoorsman mount.
PXL_20201122_210523167.jpg

OP
I

Idagnome

FNG
Thanks all for the awesome feedback. I'll take a look at some of the tripods I've had my eyes on this winter. Hard to stomach the weight penalty, but then again, I could train more...

Monopod user here as well. I’m not a fan of tripods so I don’t use them. I’ve been using my monopod for a couple of years now and don’t see me going to a tripod at all. I use a manfrotto with an outdoorsman bino stud to use my Leica Duovids. Works perfect for me, your mileage may vary.