Money advice for a 19 year old

eamyrick

WKR
Forget everything for 3-4 years. Move to Alaska and pack for a few seasons. Kill a nice Dall and Grizz and take online classes when you aren’t hunting. Move to a Montana/Idaho/Wyoming and become a firefighter in medium sized city by age 25. (DO NOT BECOME A COP). Stay debt free and retire no later than 50 a millionaire because you saved 15% plus of everything you made. Marry a good, honest women. Say your prayers.

Pro953

WKR
Lots of feedback on the basic financial stuff

- Listen more than you talk.
- When you say you are going to do something, do
It.
- Develop a good work ethic, step up, offer to help when you do not need to. Both at work and in your community.
- Spend time around good people. No matter your willpower, surrounding yourself with the wrong people will make things harder.

One comment on career choices I would make. Do not get too caught up in how much you make per hour in your next few jobs. Choose the positions be it a paying job or a internship that puts you in the right position and learning from the right people. I passed up too many opportunities as a kid so I could make 17.00 an hour over 15.00 an hour when I could have made much larger career leaps with the contacts I made in the right role.

Just my 2cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Credit cards are for emergencies, not hunting crap or buying rounds at the bar.
i agree with your whole reply besides this. prior to my wife, i didn't have a credit card (maybe not even a debit) but she got me buying a lot of things (well within our means) on credit cards, but responsibly paying them off (all her) and my credit went from none (really bad/non existent) to a super good credit score, and that gives us freedom to make a big purchase if the right thing comes along (like a home loan)

i was all cash before my wife, but with current times, building a credit score is a good idea, and can be life changing with the right set of circumstances you wouldn't be able to capitalize on without good credit or a big pile of cash.

obviously, abusing credit cards will be really bad, but using them for normal day to day stuff has it's benefits

WRO

WKR
Don't go in debt, make as much money as possible by either getting a good trade or getting a real college degree (engineering, law, business etc). Save for retirement, but don't skip opportunities to do cool shit in the interim. I know a ton of guys with giant retirement accounts that haven't done much for cool experiences.

Buy good glass, boots, packs, you can fake the rest. Average rifle with a decent scope will shoot more accurately than you. Same with bows, buy used you can get year or two old alpha bows for a reasonable cost.

If you go this route, buy a house as soon as you can afford it, even if you can barely afford it. Renting gets you no where long term, if your timing is wrong, you'll still be even in 5 years at worst.

Or go the other route, go chase experiences, work for outfitters, fish camps, etc and just have fun. You won't have a pot to piss in, but you'll live well.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mwebs

WKR
Get a better paying job, I will pay you $16 to wash dishes.. Credit cards are fine and actually great for building credit and getting clash back or free flights. Just don’t put more on it than you can pay off every month and poof you pay 0 interest, it’s not that hard to figure out..

Don’t piss your money away on alcohol, tobacco, gambling and cheap gear.
Buy quality equipment and vehicles. Moderation is key.

Azone

WKR
i agree with your whole reply besides this. prior to my wife, i didn't have a credit card (maybe not even a debit) but she got me buying a lot of things (well within our means) on credit cards, but responsibly paying them off (all her) and my credit went from none (really bad/non existent) to a super good credit score, and that gives us freedom to make a big purchase if the right thing comes along (like a home loan)

i was all cash before my wife, but with current times, building a credit score is a good idea, and can be life changing with the right set of circumstances you wouldn't be able to capitalize on without good credit or a big pile of cash.

obviously, abusing credit cards will be really bad, but using them for normal day to day stuff has it's benefits
Valid points, I should have went into more detail but I’ve ran into many that get a little wild with the plastic money. Interest rates ring no bells with some people and some lessons learned can be extremely costly in the long run. Having a high 700 or 800 credit score definitely makes life a lot easier for certain things.

Forget everything for 3-4 years. Move to Alaska and pack for a few seasons. Kill a nice Dall and Grizz and take online classes when you aren’t hunting. Move to a Montana/Idaho/Wyoming and become a firefighter in medium sized city by age 25. (DO NOT BECOME A COP). Stay debt free and retire no later than 50 a millionaire because you saved 15% plus of everything you made. Marry a good, honest women. Say your prayers.
Only thing I can add is to wear sunscreen.

In all seriousness, try to get by on as little as possible and save all that you can. The fastest dream killer is financial obligation. That can be debt, children you’re not prepared for, etc.

I saved money growing up and was able to pay my way through a 4-year university with no debt. Got a job in LE (which I would not do again) where I was making nearly $3500 a month, which seemed like Oprah rich at the time.

I was driving a 20 year-old pickup that was paid off, but required a few fixes here and there and I got tired of it, so I decided to buy a new truck and had a $400 payment. I was only taking home about $2300 a month. With $700 a month in rent, $400 for truck, $100 for insurance, and $200 in monthly bills, I only had $900 a month for food, savings, and any recreation. Worse part was, after a few years in LE, I wanted out but had to keep paying on that debt.

It’s been 17 years in a job I started hating 13 years ago. Paid off the truck, but got married. Wife lost her job, so I was supporting the both of us. Put her through nursing school, even more debt. Had two kids....it’s a slippery slope.

Azone

WKR
I personally think not living with someone till your married is nuts. You learn way more about some one when you actually live with them. Maybe that doesnt work for everyone but it worked for my gf and now wife.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
I agree very much with this. No way was I going to marry my wife without living together first to make sure it would work. We got hitched and the only thing that changed was her last name. The great sex and honeymoon stage in the beginning of relationships can only save so much, sooner or later you have to get out of bed and deal with that person.