moisture protection in gun safe ?

JeffB1961

FNG
so i'm getting a used sentential gun safe and i'll be putting it in the basement . i'm concerned about moisture control since i'm in the beautiful mountains of southwest Virginia . it stays fairly cool there in the summer and the lines/exchanger/hot water plate for our wood boiler are near where it will be and knocks the bite of cold off under the house in the dead of winter . so no huge temperature swings since it' stays mostly between 45ish to 70ish there . i keep my guns in gun socks and cases . sooooo .... should i go electric ? discant beads ? or both ? if electric is there anything better than the golden rod ? it seems to be popular on youtube FWIW ....... . i have a laminate and a few wood stocked guns so FWIU i don't want to get too dry for fear of cracking them ????
what are y'alls thoughts and opinions ?

I started off with a bead in mine. Way too bog of a pain in the ass. Went to electric rod and don't worry about it. I also take out each gun and give them a cleaning regardless of use each winter after most seasons are closed

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Dbolick

FNG
I keep my safe near my dehumidifier in the basement and it has done pretty well, to be fair I don’t have a very fancy safe, it’s one of the filing cabinet style safes so the air exchange from inside the room to inside the safe is about the same in terms of humidity level

Weldor

WKR
We only get humid a few months a year, desiccant bags 3 lbs, ea. 2 in the safe. oven dry them every couple of months.

EdP

WKR
I also live in the mtns of sw Va, just a few miles west of Damascus. My safe is in my finished basement and I don't use anything and don't have any problem. This is the heated/cooled part of my house so the temp stays pretty even and the relative humidity stays low. Also, guns should be stored w/o a case of any kind. Storing in a case will often cause rust due to moisture absorption by the case material.

Note that a golden rod will not reduce the amount of moisture in the air (humidity). By increasing the temperature it will increase the amount of moisture air can hold and thereby reduce the RELATIVE humidity. A relative humidity level of 80% or above is needed for steel to rust. A heater will also keep the temp in your safe steady and that will help keep relative humidity down.

Desiccant will reduce the moisture in the air to also keep the relative humidity down. You can get desiccants that change color to show when then need to be regenerated in the oven.

Keeping your safe in a heated and cooled space should be all that is needed. This site talks about the same issue with regard to tools and explains it better than I did: https://workshopcompanion.com/Demos...lassroom_files/Shop_Notes_Rust_Prevention.pdf

I use one of these. Check it every month or so and plug it in for a few hours when it needs to dry out.

Agross

WKR
I use both, not that hard to throw the packs in the oven for a few minutes a couple times a year. I never store my guns in the cases in the safe.