Modify Kifaru 44 bag or get Fulcrum for more space?

dtchhuntr

FNG
Last year was my first year jumping into the backpack hunting. I spent a lot of time reading through here and ended up with a Kifaru 44 Mag, which I used on a 5 day bear hunt in Montana last fall. I used every inch of space, and that included a Sherman pocket on it. My buddy carried the tent, so that wasn't factored in. I have a 22 Mag I used for deer hunting in the Midwest this year, and it was the perfect size for that.

Now my buddy and I are looking at more hunts this Fall and in coming years, and those might require more space. The 44 with the Sherman is about 5100 CI. I could add the guide lid and add another 1000 to get to 6,100. For those that have done it, would you rather add more accessory bags/pouches like that to the main 44 mag, or just buy something larger like the Fulcrum (7800 CI, but more like 1,800 if you compress wings over an empty main bag).

TIA

Kenneth@Kifaru

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey man! I would always suggest the 44 mag for a 5 day hunt. i have got 7 Days put of it but it was tight and i had a claymore as the lid. other bags to look at besides the Fulcrum, is the Hoodlum and Reckoning. you are looking at both of them being in that 6300 cubic range. I got 7 days out of the hoodlum this season and could of got 10 days. If you want to talk more about the bags feel free to PM me or email me at [email protected]

I been eyeballing the Fulcrum for just a little more space than my Hoodlum has. Then I remember I still have my DT1 on Tactical frame and it has plenty of space at 7200 I think. I could always put my guide lid on it if I want a little more space. The food is the biggest taker of space on those extended hunts.

Hey man! I would always suggest the 44 mag for a 5 day hunt. i have got 7 Days put of it but it was tight and i had a claymore as the lid. other bags to look at besides the Fulcrum, is the Hoodlum and Reckoning. you are looking at both of them being in that 6300 cubic range. I got 7 days out of the hoodlum this season and could have got 10 days. If you want to talk more about the bags feel free to PM me or email me at [email protected]
I’ve done 10 with the Hoodlum with a guide lid. If I had to take more food I’d be adding some pockets. There are a couple comforts I could leave out to make a little more room for food if I had to. But why? A couple extra pounds is worth the comfort on those extended stays.

Sleep and a packable camp chair are under rated. By day 6 or 7 I am thanking myself for carrying the extra weight in because I still have plenty of energy and have no problem getting up in the mornings. And not sitting on the ground, a rock or log while I’m eating and listening to the sounds of the wild is pretty nice too.

OP
D

dtchhuntr

FNG
Sent you an email Kenneth, thank you.
I been eyeballing the Fulcrum for just a little more space than my Hoodlum has. Then I remember I still have my DT1 on Tactical frame and it has plenty of space at 7200 I think. I could always put my guide lid on it if I want a little more space. The food is the biggest taker of space on those extended hunts.
Yeah, I don't have a guide lid currently, so I could go that route and buy one. I think the Hoodlum is quite a bit bigger than the 44 to start. I just don't want to get caught without having enough space on a longer trip and having to buy a 4th bag at that point. :) I also kind of liked the design from the video on the Fulcrum. Wish I lived close enough to play with them all in person.

OP
D

dtchhuntr

FNG
I’ve done 10 with the Hoodlum with a guide lid. If I had to take more food I’d be adding some pockets. There are a couple comforts I could leave out to make a little more room for food if I had to. But why? A couple extra pounds is worth the comfort on those extended stays.

Sleep and a packable camp chair are under rated. By day 6 or 7 I am thanking myself for carrying the extra weight in because I still have plenty of energy and have no problem getting up in the mornings. And not sitting on the ground, a rock or log while I’m eating and listening to the sounds of the wild is pretty nice too.
One thing I also thought about was what the weight comparison would be adding all the pockets to my existing pack versus just buying the bigger bag to start. The fulcrum actually clocks in lighter than the 44 before even adding anything.

One thing I also thought about was what the weight comparison would be adding all the pockets to my existing pack versus just buying the bigger bag to start. The fulcrum actually clocks in lighter than the 44 before even adding anything.
Personally, I don’t worry about the weight. My Hoodlum is set up as follows. Single compartment Guide Lid is optional for me. I use it on extended hunts or if rain is in the forecast. When I use the guide lid I attach a medium pocket to it. Otherwise I use a medium pocket attached when I fold the snow collar over and then 2 more medium pockets on the back for a total of 3 and 2 large pockets on the belt. 1 on each side obviously. The Guide lid really is nice though just because of the quick access to my rain gear, pack rain fly and light weight tarp when it’s time to hunker down and stay dry. Not sure what the cubic inches is with the guide lid and 3 medium pockets attached. But it’s enough for 10 days. The Hoodlum truly is a great pack! I use it on the UL Frame or the Tactical frame depending on if I’m doing truck camp or packing in.

rclouse79

WKR
I peruse these topics from time to time while daydreaming about getting a new pack, but my dang original Kifaru Timberline just won't die. If you like the layout of the 44 mag, would the Ma Deuce be a good option? It would be one of my front runners from what I have seen.

OP
D

dtchhuntr

FNG
I went ahead and ordered the Hoodlum and couple of pouches. Probably should have ordered a guide lid, but maybe it will go on sale this summer or I can pick one up in classifieds. Thanks for the feedback.

loco99

FNG
Do all the pouches attach pretty securely to the kifarus? It would suck to have some vines/branches steal your gear.

Do all the pouches attach pretty securely to the kifarus? It would suck to have some vines/branches steal your gear.

If the pouches and bag are stuffed full they stay pretty well. When empty, I found they would occasionally work loose and I’d find a pocket hanging on by 1-2 of the 3 bar sliders. I always tie my pockets on the bag if I have to use them. However, They stay really well on the belt for me and I don’t have to tie them on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk