MOA Quick method

Thank you Form for sharing your MIL based methods. I appreciate anyone willing to share things that work for them (and in this case lots of people) in the field.

I am pretty invested in MOA from a scope ($$$), experience, and hunting party perspective. The group I hunt with talks MOA and when sighting shots we speak MOA. So as much as I understand the simplicity of a base 10 angle angle system, I have some inertia that keeps me thinking MOA. If I was starting fresh I would go MIL, alas I am not starting fresh.

Having said that, the post above got me thinking about MOA methods for wind gap and elevation. Because, basically it is just about a method that you can quickly resolve a shooting solution. Quicker than an app ore returning to your compensated range finder as the target is changing distances.

MOA wind gap method. Looking at shooting solutions, you can do a method similar to the one Form outlines but with MOA. The method I will be trying this fall is to find a full cross wind speed value that gives you 1 MOA at 400 yards. MOA folks think clearly in terms of 4s and clicks (1/4MOA). So with a 100 yard zero that would put your 100 yard full wind correction at 1/4 MOA, 200 1/2 MOA, 300 3/4 MOA... and so on. My current primary hunting rifle is a 9mph full cross wind 1 MOA gun at 400 yards.

So my wind correction is one click per hundred yards with a 9mph base speed.

Elevation, the MIL method doesn't work great for my rifle and DA (11,000' elevations). So for now I am sticking with my range card attached to the side of my range finder. The table I use is very simple with one addition of the delta in clicks between and range and the next further 50 yard increment. That way when I dial, I know how many clicks to get it to the next 50 yards .

I am basically sending this post to 1. thank Form to getting the community thinking, and 2. see if anyone has used a similar wind gap method for MOA based systems.

Sounds similar to what is discussed here. Meat of it starts about 10 minutes in.

I haven't used it as I switched over to mils, so no personal experience with the method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zork

FNG
My 308 with 165s lines up very neatly out to 600. At 8 mph, the wind hold is 1/2 the yardage in hundreds. So at 400 yards, its a 2 moa hold. I can adjust off that pretty quickly in my head.

When I've tried to figure this out with higher bc, faster cartridges I haven't been able to get things to line up neatly but it's working for me for now with the 308 and a lower bc 6.5 round.