MKC Alternative

Sinistram

FNG
I'll agree with others that the hype surrounding some of these boutique knife makers is a bit much. I'm also getting a bit tired of Benchmade jacking up their prices. The best pocket knife I have ever owned (and still EDC) is a Benchmade mini griptillian that cost $60 about 15 years ago. They're now double that. :rolleyes:

For hunting knives, I've been a fan of:
- Cold Steel: the Pendleton hunter, big or small, are absolutely the sharpest OOTB knives I've ever seen. The handle material and sheaths are great, too.
- Silver Stag: More traditional knives, but they use D2 steel and the prices are acceptable.
- Arno Bernard: If you want a little exotic flair. I have a "Squirrel" model from them with a giraffe bone handle and it's the perfect small game knife. 2" fixed blade with a slight drop point.

On a whim, I just bought one of these Browning knives: Browning Back Country Small. For $50 and with the steel and handle materials being what they are, I figured it was worth a shot. The blade is pretty stumpy, short and with a lot of belly, but it seems like it'd be good for a whitetail or two. I'll give it a shot this coming season and see how it does.

WVelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I've had good luck with one of these at half the price of other ultralight, high end steel blades. The factory gind was a little off-center, but that's my only complaint.

If you want an MKC knife go to a TAC event. They usually have plenty of stock there. I picked up a Magnacut Stoned goat to try. Nice little knife with a great sheath. Pricey for me, but willing to give them a shot. Looks like they have several different models in stock now. Also, the owner was on the meateater podcast this week. Sounds like they are making big efforts to ramp production. He sounds very knowledgeable about knifemaking for sure. I am not, but it all sounded good to me. Apparently some production is still done in his garage. Regardless I am big about supporting small businesses and American made products if at all possible. Are they hyped, yeah, but If that helps a couple of guys and their employees succeed, I am all for it.

intunegp

WKR
If you want an MKC knife go to a TAC event. They usually have plenty of stock there. I picked up a Magnacut Stoned goat to try. Nice little knife with a great sheath. Pricey for me, but willing to give them a shot. Looks like they have several different models in stock now. Also, the owner was on the meateater podcast this week. Sounds like they are making big efforts to ramp production. He sounds very knowledgeable about knifemaking for sure. I am not, but it all sounded good to me. Apparently some production is still done in his garage. Regardless I am big about supporting small businesses and American made products if at all possible. Are they hyped, yeah, but If that helps a couple of guys and their employees succeed, I am all for it.

Josh Smith is legit, becoming an ABS Master Smith is no joke and he is the youngest journeyman/master ever. There are less than 200 ABS Master Smiths in the world.

Here are the knives he made (at age 19) for his Master Smith test:
K00755-Smith-Josh.jpg

and a few of his other custom pieces:
Take-Down-Hunter.jpg

Dog-Bone-2008.jpg

Saddle-Horn-Trapper.jpg

A813F93D-317C-4D94-8C66-762183B7F478.jpeg

You can check out more on his website here.

Josh Smith is legit, becoming an ABS Master Smith is no joke and he is the youngest journeyman/master ever.

Here are the knives he made (at age 19) for his Master Smith test:
K00755-Smith-Josh.jpg

and a few of his other custom pieces:
Take-Down-Hunter.jpg

Dog-Bone-2008.jpg

Saddle-Horn-Trapper.jpg

A813F93D-317C-4D94-8C66-762183B7F478.jpeg

You can check out more on his website here.
He sounded like a super smart guy, Really knows his stuff for sure.

TheTone

WKR
The Meateater store currently (and for at least a couple of days) has stock of the MKC x Meateater collab knife.

More on it:
Guess MKC is paying more than Benchmade was. I’m sure it will have all sorts of inflated demand, sell out immediately and yet be in the hands of tons of influencers bragging about how awesome it is

OP
M

mustelid_master

Lil-Rokslider

NDGuy

WKR
Id rather not
I can make ya something if you'd like. Pm if interested.

Otherwise depending on budget there's a few folks I recommend

Sub $200
Benchmade
Essee
Buck

Sub $350
Charles May
Wayne Walker Knives
Used Gene Ingram (he retired)
Lucas Forge
Dozier Knives
Dan Crotts

$500ish
Semper Sharp
Niche Bladeworks
Gentry Custom Knives
Vorn Knives

$750+
Half Face Blades

wesfromky

WKR
Guess MKC is paying more than Benchmade was. I’m sure it will have all sorts of inflated demand, sell out immediately and yet be in the hands of tons of influencers bragging about how awesome it is
I know a lot of people here hate capitalism, small hunting/outdoor businesses making it, and all, but there are still knives available from the newest drop last night on the MKC site, and both are still available on meateater's site. So, they didn't "sell out immediately".

TheTone

WKR
I know a lot of people here hate capitalism, small hunting/outdoor businesses making it, and all, but there are still knives available from the newest drop last night on the MKC site, and both are still available on meateater's site. So, they didn't "sell out immediately".
I don’t hate capitalism, but I despise influencer marketing in the outdoor space.

bz_711

WKR
Wife got me Benchmade Meatcrafter for Christmas '22...it was the best knife I've ever used to debone an elk last fall. Love the longer blade with a little bit of flex...didn't have to touch up blade at all for 1 elk (I usually have to touch up blade a bit). My favorite knife by far...now the search starts for something better than that (for packing around for elk)...could take a while to surpass the Meatcrafter and get it out of my bag.

Knives are fun!

I don’t hate capitalism, but I despise influencer marketing in the outdoor space.
Yeah, not my favorite thing either. However, no one watches TV or buys magazines anymore, so folks have to get the word out somehow. I typically stay away from influencer marketed products as well, but I have also found some pretty good items from listening to podcasts, even meateater. FWIW, I hadn't even heard of MKC when I bought my knife at TAC. I just looked at it and thought it looked like a really good knife.

wesfromky

WKR
How else would a company market these days? You want them to go back to paying writers to pimp their products in print mags? Or maybe paying TV celebrity hunters to use their stuff? We can all be the old man yelling at the kid to get off our lawn, but the reality is social media marketing is how things are now.

Rinella and Josh Smith spent years building a product that they now sell to willing buyers, and the both use the same form of advertising that just about every other successful brand does, which is social media.

We get disappointed when the small American company runs out of business but throw hate when they’re successful and growing…. Also, I’m sure they don’t love relying on other people i.e. influencers for marketing but thats just the times we live in.

TheTone

WKR
How else would a company market these days? You want them to go back to paying writers to pimp their products in print mags? Or maybe paying TV celebrity hunters to use their stuff? We can all be the old man yelling at the kid to get off our lawn, but the reality is social media marketing is how things are now.

Rinella and Josh Smith spent years building a product that they now sell to willing buyers, and the both use the same form of advertising that just about every other successful brand does, which is social media.
Maybe just a regular ad; why do they have to give free product to people that kill for a living ? Why do they need a brand relations manager that’s one of the most sensitive but also look at me influencers around?

I think mkc could have done totally fine off his appearance on forged in fire and again normal Facebook and instagram marketing but they chose to go all in on influencers it seems and a model of purposeful limited supply

At the end of the day they’re a knife, they cut stuff just like tons of other knives do. I have way more than I can use and can’t even remember how many of those I have found