MKC Alternative

I like the idea of a non-disposable blade hunting knife. MKC seems to be the force to contend w/ right now. But their marketing and use of influencers drives me up a wall, and I'm not willing to play to "wait for a drop" game. Any experience w/ alternatives to a MKC speedgoat?

TN2shot07

WKR
I’d just keep an eye on the classifieds, the MKC knives seem to pop up regularly if that’s what you want.

I don’t think you’d be disappointed with one of the Argali knives, Tyto air, Goat knives or a benchmade altitude and you don’t have to deal with that paracord

PN wild sells a light weight knife similar to the tyto air knife
Also buck makes some knifes with s35vn steel

Marshfly

WKR
Following this as well. Even though MKC is local to me there's no way I'm playing that drop game. I joined an MKC Facebook group and had to bail quickly. The fanboyism with those guys is the stuff of legends.

I bought a Benchmade Hidden Canyon hunter last year and used it on a couple of deer. Insanely well designed blade shape and held an edge wonderfully. Also, easy to buy anywhere.

wildcat33

WKR
When a custom maker “drops” you a line to tell you your name is up in the book, that’s worth waiting for. Agree the fake scarcity hype for generic product is BS.

Check out the custom knife threads on here. Some great makers mentioned above posting impressive stuff. If I had to buy something without waiting I would look for a dozier in stock at ag Russel.

Last edited:

TheHammer

WKR
Not sure why people keep recommending anti 2a companies, such as benchmade… argali has some fantastic knife options. I enjoy my carbon, the serac blade contour makes a lot of sense. I also have an iron will k2. It would not* be my first knife suggestion, but I like it. Iron will offers other knives as well.

Last edited:

geoff995

WKR
I purchase a Knives of Alaska alpha wolf at the start of last season. I’ve only used it on a few animals but so far I have been very pleased with it.

I’m really liking my Argali Serac for the blade shape and handle feel. Also like that it’s a real handle instead of paracord.

Marshfly

WKR
I’d have a hard time not buying a buck at this point

My favorite knife I have is a new west knife works 4” hunter
I bought my son a Buck Alpha Scout for Christmas. VERY nice knife but a little small in the hand. The Benchmade Hidden Canyon is a better size.

I bought a friend a Buck Ranger last year also. Very impressed for the price. Great shape and quality.