Minox MD 62 ED

tstowater

WKR
I acquired a new Minox MD 62 ED recently with a 21-42X LER eyepiece. I haven't had a lot of time to play with it, but it seems to be pretty nice. I have a Swaro STS 65 and am going on a Dall hunt in Alaska this fall and trying to figure out which to take. Anyone have any experience with this model of the Minox?

Thanks

OP
tstowater

tstowater

WKR
I must have gotten a dinosaur or something no one else has or is too embarassed to respond. I bought it really "right" so I am not out anything if the spotter does not pan out, but I believe it is a good one.

dotman

WKR
Minox makes quality optics, I'm sure it will be a really good unit. I have the Minox MD50 spotter and really like it. Doesn't seem like Minox has taken off with the hunting crowd, not sure why since everything I have looked thru of theirs was good. Quality of construction is there. If my little 50mm scope had their ED glass in it I would be really happy.

Leave the Minox at home if you have another option for your sheep hunt. The optics are fair, but the durability and function aren't great. I took mine sheep hunting last year and the eyepiece (21-42x LER) permanently fogged up four days in. They fixed it, but then I had problems with the eyepiece being loose, the objective cover getting jammed on, and the whole main barrel unscrewing in the middle(!). To make matters worse, they send them back to Germany for service and it takes three months.

On the third go around, I asked that they let me trade it for a set of binos. I was VERY happy to see that thing out the door.

Anyhow, that's just my experience. ok glass in a far from rugged body.
Yk