Minimum Gear Requirements

I am starting to gather gear for my first ever elk hunt in Idaho next fall. It will be an archery hunt on public land with a 3+ mile hike into base camp and day hikes from there with a group of other men who have done this before.

I have been reading lots of threads on here about high dollar gear and how you have to have xyz to be successful. With four kids at home, dropping $$$ on gear just isn’t in the cards. From what I gather your boots, pack, and raingear are the most important. What would all of you say are the critical things to spend good money on, and what are some things you consider absolute must haves for a backcountry hunt? What are some other things where I could save a few bucks and buy good enough to save money for tags and other hunts?

I have a year to gather all of this, but wanted to be ready to pounce if I find good deals on here or other late season sales. I am not necessarily looking to buy the cheapest everything, but I want to spend the right money where it matters most. Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boots and pack would be the top two. The best boots you can buy that fit your feet the best. You can find a really good pack if you keep your eye on the classifieds, especially if you wait until the seasons are over.

Go hiking/backpacking right now. You'll find out really quick what you want to spend money on. If you go do a 3 day 2 night hike locally then you will have gained a bunch of experience. The first pack I bought was total crap, I found out really quick by using it on a hike with a friend. I also found out I hate pumping water.

Get the backpack/hike/camp thing down before going to the mountains to hunt, it will make your life way easier.

Here is my list of priorities

1. Backpack
2. footwear
3. shelter/sleeping bag/pad
4. clothing (includes rain gear)
Those 4 items are going to allow to travel and SURVIVE in the backcountry. Top priorities I say.
5. Water (storage and filtration)
6. Food (Cooking and what to bring)

Beg/borrow/buy from thrift or drop some coin on those things NOW and get in the bush. Learn to travel/camp with everything on your back. Then you will have a great idea about what you need and what you want. I guarantee you can find stuff to make a fall and spring trip happen locally before you head west.

I take my grade 8/9 class camping for two nights in the winter (they sleep in the snow caves) and into the mountain in the fall. They manage to scrape enough gear together to make this happen. It is a MAJOR lesson for them and they are a million times more knowledgable about backcountry travel after only one trip.

I had a student bring 4.5 lbs of marshmallows last year, he complained most of the 6-mile hike on the way in. He didn't think to open the extra large bag at home and only take what he needed.

I caught another kid with a brand new full quart bottle of mouth wash, I made him leave it behind. I know kids are dumber than adults but not by much ha ha.

Moral of the story do some shakedown hikes first before heading out west.

You don't need the best gear, especially going local. Who cares if you spend two miserable nights out in the bush near home, you will have gained an immense amount of knowledge and experience.

The only thing that doesn't transfer from the backpack world to hunting backpacking is the crazy packouts when successful. So if you have a pack that works great for hiking it might really suck for packing out an elk. Just think about that.

You asked what brand of boots are good. There are lots of good boots, the only way to have good boots that fit your individual boots is to try lots of pairs on. Example: I have narrow feet so a good pair of wide boots is not a good pair for me.

Boots that fit your feet. My feet like Lowa and Salomon. Go try some on. Asolo, Lowa, Salomon, Salewa, etc. I suggest to stay away from "hunting" boots.

There are a ton of lists out there. Sleep system (shelter, bag, pad), pack, boots, cook set, water filtration/storage. Nothing ground breaking.

I suggest shopping for deals, and dont pay retail.

BrotherBrown, I like the way you think. Setting a goal, allowing a year to make it happen, prioritizing the adventure over the $ spent. Brilliant!

A lot of members here are gear sluts, upgrading to the newest cloak of invisibility every year. So lots of slightly used, high end gear turns up in the RS Classifieds, especially after New Years when the trade shows debut the 2020 revolutionary, paradigm-shifting New Stuff. There are also plenty of gear reviews here, so if you want, say, 2 year old gear for more savings, you can read user reviews from the year that stuff was brand spankin' new. High end used is better than cheap new in almost every category. Underwear, boots, toilet paper; these are worth buying new.

If you don't have a well-stocked retail boot source @ hand to try on multiple options, look for online retailers that offer free exchanges/returns. Then order multiple choices in multiple sizes, keep the winners and send the others back whence they came. Sierra Trading Post is a good starting place, especially if they have a store in your town where you can drop off returns.

Does your group have tents, or will you need shelter?

Good rain gear, good gaiters are two things in addition to boots and pack that I'd prioritize. Maybe even over the pack after this year.

We only got 3-4 days of rain this year, and only passing storms but it would soak everything pretty good, and after walking through mid-thigh height grass and brush chasing elk, my old rain pants failed in about 20 minutes so I just took them off. Pants would get soaked, water would run down pants into my boots to the point I could pour water out of them when I took them off. Waterproof boots, and knee high OR gore-tex gaiters didn't do a damn thing. My feet were wrecked after chasing elk for 4 days like that - 10+ mile days with soaking wet feet isn't fun. Screw blisters, one of them was outright bleeding by the end of the trip.

Lightweight jacket wasn't as bad, but had water wicking through from pack straps so switched to a my heavier 3-layer gore-tex jacket.

Not making that mistake again, used a 20% off coupon on a set of Kuiu Yukon pants as soon as I got home.

Thank you for all the comments.

I’ll be packing in my own tent, so I will need to get one of those.

Great idea on the getting out before then to see what works. I’m a KS boy, so getting up into the mountains is a pretty good trip.

I use gators for upland hunting in wet grass and snow, so those are definitely on the list to take. My upland boots can go 7-10miles in a day, so I might see if I can find something similar. Anyone worn LL Bean Kangaroo boots in the mountains?

Thanks again for the support. Lifelong dream getting after an elk. Want to do it right.

I addition to the equipment as stated above, boots, pack, base layers, etc... make sure you get in good physical condition. I train year around just so I can deal with the rigors of archery hunting in the mountains.

I haven’t seen optics or binoculars mentioned yet. They are usually pretty high up on my list, up with boots and pack. You don’t need the finest glass or a lot of power if calling bulls in, but even a compact pair of 8’s would be a great at twilight and checking out burns compared to the naked eye

Look in the "Gear" section for https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/2018-19-rokstaff-gear-lists.119648/

Will give you a general idea of what people bring. You can fine tune as necessary.

My priorities: Boots (Salomon), pack (Exo 3500), sleep system (Mountain Hardware 15* down bag, Exped Synmat 7 insulated pad, Kelty Salida 2 tent). My entire sleep set up were purchased as close outs so there were significant savings there.
Several guys selling older model Exo packs so I would definitely check the FS section. 2nd gen 3500 would be my suggestion.
Train train train for sure.

Run what you got brotherbrown! Most of the $$$ spent are done so to save weight and your 3 mile hike in isnt too bad so packing a little extra weight wont be too bad. As I get older, I have more wealth. With that wealth I have a lot of high end gear. I do however buy a lot of used gear to save on cost. Hunting is a lifestyle to me so I am always buying and selling gear. I hunt with guys who run a "3006" and have similar types of gear. They do just as good or better than me with all my "high end" gear. Have fun and enjoy that family of yours

If you have upland game boots that you wear and like, you don't need boots. Also, Walmart and other stores sell tech clothes as that will suit your needs just fine.

If I bought anything from a high end retailer, it'd be a mountain hunting pant So, I could ditch my rain pants with those and gaitors on. And, Synthetic base layer. I'd have a synthetic bag too. So if I did get wet by chance, a nights sleep would dry me out. Down can't do that.

The rest depends on the weather you will be in. Just remember, three miles in isn't that far. So, cushy extras can be left in the truck. Keep your load adequate but, don;t try to haul the kitchen sink either. You can be back to the truck in an hour or so.

Do as suggested, get some gear and get some trips under your belt locally. That will tell you what best suits you. Good luck and God Bless

Most of the gear I have is for tree stand deer hunting and upland hunting. Decent base layer stuff, wool socks, softshells and puffy jacket. Have eliminated all cotton over the years. Nice upland boots both LLBean and RedWings. I have some good Goretex gaiters too. I have camping gear for my family, but that is all truck camping, so none of it is really packable.

One thing I did pick up just recently is a Kifaru frame from one of the guys I am going with at a killer price. Been watching bags here to go with it.

Thanks again for all the replies. I am excited to see this kit come together.

Bbrown, since you have a Kifaru frame look at the nomad 2. I borrowed one to go to Alaska and it was great. Also hauls stands and ground blinds very well. I’ve had great luck with Lowa Tibet boots. But just depends on what fits your feet. I live in Kansas too, might consider meeting up with some people and testing some gear out. I’ve had good luck with my Kuiu guide Jacket and attack pants will cover a lot of hunting temps. Also use that combo for Turkey, deer, and duck. Just bought a Jetstream Jacket and timberline pants for Alaska and they have done great so far. I had a buddy this year doing his first hunt and I’m sending him with a lot of gear. He is in the same boat as you. Told him after this hunt than go buy what you know you need. It’s expensive to start quality. One last note, look at Prana Zion stretch pants! I wear them hunting too, but I see wrangler has some that look the same. My grab a pair. PM if you would like to meet up some time.

just made my first backcountry hunt.

Trekking poles: We face some steep country in our pack-in/out that would have been tough without poles. Lots of threads on your choices.

Sleeping pad: I cheaped out and used an iso mat that I've had for years. I slept on one for a whole deployment once and thought I would be good. I forgot to calculate age!

Sleeping bag: you can save money it just won't be as light (as stated earlier). I slept in quality long johns which helped with temps.

Rain gear: Bought mine at Walmart and worked fine. Not light or breathable but it helped break wind in storms anyway.

Battery pack for phone.

Water: loved my sawyer squeeze. Set it up as gravity feed in camp. But, I knew not to let it freeze and forgot to put it in my sleeping bag on a night that dropped into 20's. Talk to your buddies on their choice and have a backup. If it's too cold, a Sawyer won't work.

Pack: bought an Exo and didn't regret it. Any of the top brands will work. Hope you find the bag for the kifaru.

Clothes: Got a deal on closeouts in the spring.

I have been reading lots of threads on here about high dollar gear and how you have to have xyz to be successful.

The only thing you need to be successful is to be in the right place at the right time, and be able to execute the shot that you're given at that time. Everything else is extraneous.

There are bums living under bridges today that have more and better gear than I had starting out when I first started hunting at 15 with my buddy.

Back