Military surplus wool pants

AGPank

WKR
Anyone use these for hunting / hiking? Price seems right, quality isn't bad. I'm tired of cold wet cotton that soaks up every drop of morning dew. Are they too hot and heavy for September in Colorado around 8-9k feet? They aren't camo, but not sure how important that is for the lower half that is covered in ferns or brush anyway.

mrmorton

FNG
wet is wet. I used wool pants my whole adolescent years because my mom did not see a point in expensive gear. I have hunted idaho at 7-8k feet in wool pants and I gotta tell you that you are better off buying some rei hiking pants and layering it with some merino wool base layer. you will get hot and wet in wool pants depending on how heavy they are. I know those wool pants are probably only like 30 or 40 bucks but do not buy something twice, buy it right the first time.

OP
A

AGPank

WKR
Thanks, will do. Others were just bought for camo pattern and have the performance of blue jeans (sorry predator). Effective patterns.

kodiakfly

WKR
As was said, they'll still get wet and heavy. But unlike cotton, will still insulate while wet. But they'll still get wet and heavy. They're better than jeans, but the advice given above is solid. Some things, the military does it right. Something they screw up badly. Some things they do so-so, but could do better and there's better options. Wool pants would be the latter.

wet is wet. I used wool pants my whole adolescent years because my mom did not see a point in expensive gear. I have hunted idaho at 7-8k feet in wool pants and I gotta tell you that you are better off buying some rei hiking pants and layering it with some merino wool base layer. you will get hot and wet in wool pants depending on how heavy they are. I know those wool pants are probably only like 30 or 40 bucks but do not buy something twice, buy it right the first time.
This is absolutely correct in my opinion. The only time I ever appreciated them, was in the army @ -20*. I think you would even be better off with synthetic underwear rather than those wool pants.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
If you're talking about the heavy wool pants that are very common, all input above is pretty good. There are some lighter weight wool military pants that are about the thickness of jeans. I've used them for 20 years from September through November, layering accordingly. They were a good pant for what I paid. The fit wasn't great on my square frame, better fit for narrow waist guys. I've never paid more than $10 for a pair. They aren't anything in fit or function of the modern stuff like First Lite's Kanabs but if you only got $10 bucks, you can't lose.