MIL or MOA

I cut my teeth on MILS and have since learned to shoot MOA, I still have both around the safe. For me MILS is still easier but for my 13 year old who has shot both, she prefers MOA. I always viewed it as a Ford vs Chevy topic? As said above, pick 1 and learn it like its second nature. good luck in which ever you choose

I was in the same boat a year or so ago.. trying to set up for better shooting at distance. Read all the threads here and elsewhere and ultimately went with mils. For me it's been easy to learn and understand, I dont worry about converting anything to inches... I just worry about impact and corrections in mils, the reticle tells you how to adjust, it's awesome!

I like Mils. Quicker to communicate and think in tenths than 0.25's. All things considered I could probably figure out what a correction length is at a given distance in MOA quicker than MILs but I don't ever need to.

Long shot here but I have 2 MOA scopes left in the safe - a NXS 2.5-10x42 in MOAR and a LRHS 4.5-18. If anyone with the same models in Mils would like to exchange for MOA, let me know!

cmorsch

FNG
I prefer mils myself, but have the 5-25 ATACR in MOA on my 300 rum because I hate the ranging bracket in the nightforce mil-r reticles for hunting applications.

desertcj

WKR
I was in the same boat a year or so ago.. trying to set up for better shooting at distance. Read all the threads here and elsewhere and ultimately went with mils. For me it's been easy to learn and understand, I dont worry about converting anything to inches... I just worry about impact and corrections in mils, the reticle tells you how to adjust, it's awesome!

MOA reticle work like that too? The only difference I really see is if you are actually using the reticle to range. I will say that mill dots with moa turrets is dumb...lol.

OP
E
Thanks for the info and reasonable discourse. I will be checking with my hunting/shooting partner on what his set up his as running two different ones will be a little confusing and go from there.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Thanks for the info and reasonable discourse. I will be checking with my hunting/shooting partner on what his set up his as running two different ones will be a little confusing and go from there.

Likely the best way to go if all you are going to be doing is shooting with your hunting/shooting partner. I however hunt/shoot with enough people I couldn't win with either one I chose. As I have enough friends that shoot each.

Akicita

WKR
I am starting to stretch out my shooting a bit and starting at zero more or less. My goal is to shoot pigs and steel out to 1000 yards or so, but likely to keep it to 600 for the time being based on local range limitations and my own personal skill.

So, if you are starting out and don't have a bunch of experience with either, would you use the MIL or MOA system and why?

Thanks,

EG

Milliradian for me - because the United States Marine Corp told me so.

Last edited:
My leica Hd-Bs tell me clicks on whatever I choose to tell it to tell me. Pretty easy but I prefer MILs too. I have both and am not selling my MOA scopes because I can't afford to but if I purchase new I'll buy MILS.

Range, Click, Boom, Flop. Either way dead is dead.

Love him or hate him, I like how Frank explains things. I’m in that article btw, good looking dude with the Sitka vest on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I could not find a good looking dude in a Sitka vest, so I asked my wife to have a look, no luck there either. Perhaps you could repost the pic with you circled?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Sorry, I could not find a good looking dude in a Sitka vest, so I asked my wife to have a look, no luck there either. Perhaps you could repost the pic with you circled?

39f6089bd88dcbd8d19a136fcbdee1a7.jpg

He, is Me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I like them both. I switch back and forth. Hasn't been a problem. Just got to make sure your poop is in a group on which one you're running.

MILs saves you on clicks.

PONYBOY

Lil-Rokslider
Cant wrong either way, both work. Just a matter of which unit of measure you pick up faster... I like inches. 1 MOA is ABOUT 1 inch at 100 or 10 at 1k. Easy for me to process so that is the way I go. Just pick one and learn it, you'll be good to go.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
This is only dependent on the adjustment increment provided by a particular scope model.

I was referring of course to the common 1/4 MOA vs. 1/10 MIL scopes.

No need to count every individual click when numbers are written on your turret by the manufacturer.

I wasn’t saying to count every click. My point is that for a particular load there are fewer clicks with the 1/10 MIL vs. the 1/4 MOA. The difference grows with the distance to target. For instance, with a 7mm load I have under average atmospheric conditions the 1000 yards come up is a total of 79 clicks with a 1/10 MIL scope vs. 109 total clicks for a 1/4 MOA scope. Not a big deal to me, just a difference though that is applicable to the topic.

MILS & MOA provide the exact same angular adjustment.

They are totally different measurements of angle. Both work well in my experience.

Edit, I think you are saying The angular measurement doesn’t change the total available internal travel in the scope. I agree.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
. Personally i think the differences between the two dimensionless angular units are typically misunderstood or blown way out of proportion.

For sure, and I am with you that they do the same thing (quantify angle) just with different units of measure.

Still, they are different units of measure, and they each offer some advantages and disadvantages in their usual 1/10 MIL and 1/4 MOA configurations to the shooter.

Some prefer the finer adjustment of 1/4 MOA, especially when setting a zero.

Some prefer the reduction in clicks of 1/10 MIL. Also MIL scopes often offer more adjustment per revolution than their MOA counterparts.

How much this matters is personal opinion.