Mid to high altitude lakes.

Slim77

FNG
What kinds of fish (if any) can be found in small lakes between 7k and 9k feet in Idaho? Is it worth the extra 2 pounds to carry some basic fishing gear in your pack, just in case?

I have caught cutthroat or brook trout in most of the high mountain lakes I have fished. Some have grayling that have been planted in them too.

The Idaho fish and game website used to have a page with what high lakes had which fish in them. Haven’t looked in a while but it may still be there.

Here is an 11-12” cutty cruising a lake in the Seven Devils.

Attachments

• IMG_7289.png
    IMG_7289.png
    911.4 KB · Views: 42
What kinds of fish (if any) can be found in small lakes between 7k and 9k feet in Idaho? Is it worth the extra 2 pounds to carry some basic fishing gear in your pack, just in case?

Definitely it's advisable to carry along the fishing gear. You can be fortunate with lot of fishes in the lake

TaperPin

WKR
While on a hunting trip? If a hunting partner stopped hunting and started fishing I’d question them on many levels. :)

mtnwrunner(Trandy)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Yup, hunting is great......but it's all about the journey. Can't really say how many times I wished I had fishing gear......now I carry it if I'm in an area where fish are a possibility.

Randy

TaperPin

WKR
The same could be said for going fishing with someone and they disappear to shoot rock chucks - it qualifies as anti social, even in an individual sport like fly fishing.

Many of us never let a vehicle drive anywhere without an emergency fly rod next to the first aid kit. Some of my favorite postcard-perfect experiences in Wyoming or Idaho were at an unknown small stream or lake a little off the beaten path and a quick walk to see what’s there.

Many high lakes are known to have fish, others are known to not, but for lots of brookies look for the un-named lake without a trail to it. Using this philosophy the last little lake and stream out of it had so many undisturbed brookies, three of us caught and released well above 50 fish a day.

OP
Slim77

Slim77

FNG
While on a hunting trip? If a hunting partner stopped hunting and started fishing I’d question them on many levels. :)
It will be my teenage son and myself. I'm thinking it will be good to have, if we need a rest day, or who knows. We won't be used to the altitude, so the first couple of days, we may fish while we acclimate.

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider

Hmmm. 2lbs? It's a fairly simple thing to get an entire pack rod, reel, spinners, weights, and knife to well under that. My kit is 10.2 oz's. Basically the weight of a freezedried meal.

IMG_7782.jpeg

TaperPin

WKR
It will be my teenage son and myself. I'm thinking it will be good to have, if we need a rest day, or who knows. We won't be used to the altitude, so the first couple of days, we may fish while we acclimate.
Oh, that makes more sense. You should have a fun trip however it turns out. :)

You are likely to run into some fishing. But it becomes a weight versus fun equation. Some things to consider. How far is your hike in? How much elevation gain? 5 miles with 1000 feet of elevation gain not a big deal. 2 miles with 3000 feet of elevation gain is going to test you.

I’m somewhat skeptical about your estimated pack weight. My day pack for mountain hunting with a rifle weighs close to 30 pounds. If I’m carrying my part of a three person camp its well above 50 lbs. I would suggest actually packing your pack in full, and then deciding if you want to carry fikshing gear.

You can also find fish in small streams and they can sometimes be caught with just a long stick some line and a fly. Think cane pole. Ninja fishing.