Mid-September CO High Country Sleep System

I will be spending at least 5-6 nights at 9500-11000 feet between September 12 and 22 in Colorado. My dad and I will be cowboy camping in bivys and have a DST tarp if we experience weather.

My system:

Thermarest NeoAir Xlite NXT
Katabaric Pinon bivy
Kelty cosmic 40 degree bag 20 degree bag
NEMO Fillo Deluxe pillow

My question: I have actually only used the bag once and was thinking it was a 20 or 30 bag until I just got it out of my tote. I am a bit nervous about the temp rating. Will a liner help me bridge the temp gap? If so, what can y’all recommend? Thanks!

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
It’s been in the 30s for a few hours at night quite often this year, I would get something warmer.

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
Good call... you'll freeze your ass off in a 40. In a pinch one can layer up with puffy jacket, rain pants, everything you have, but yeah... it's not the right tool for the job.

I am the opposite, I use a 30* bag all year around, usually in a hammock. I just layer up as necessary. I have been doing this for a few years now and it was a steep learning curve for sure. If I get lazy, it can definitely make for a miserable night.

OP
hoosierhunter11
Better, but still not that warm at 32 degree comfort limit.

Do you know the difference between the comfort and survival limits for bags?
Very basic understanding to be honest. I don’t have a ton of experience camping like this below 25 degrees. I will have my puffy layer as a last resort.

Very basic understanding to be honest. I don’t have a ton of experience camping like this below 25 degrees. I will have my puffy layer as a last resort.

The bottom half of this article explains it

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Man, I rock a 10 degree quilt and a NeoAir Xtherm in early September up high... sometimes it's a bit too warm, but that sure beats the alternative.
Yep, I use a 0 degree quilt with my Xtherm. I tested out an X-lite with the quilt one year and got pretty cold. It's amazing the difference just a couple points in the R-value can have, but I've never tried the NXT that the OP has.

sndmn11

WKR
Yep, I use a 0 degree quilt with my Xtherm. I tested out an X-lite with the quilt one year and got pretty cold. It's amazing the difference just a couple points in the R-value can have, but I've never tried the NXT that the OP has.
You fit on an Xtherm??? I used a 25" pad this week for the first time in a long time and lordy I felt confined.

@hoosierhunter11 we were at 9300' and my truck temp gauge said 37deg at wake up time, with 70s during the day. I think sleeping in a puffy is a big mistake.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You fit on an Xtherm??? I used a 25" pad this week for the first time in a long time and lordy I felt confined.
Not really, but it is the long wide. There are always sacrifices when carrying camp on your back. It is what it is. But back at the Ritz Canvas I have a cot that's 40"x84" with lots of padding to match. :D

huntnful

WKR
These little fellas are an excellent piece if you're trying to layer up a little in order to aid in the temp rating of your bag. Any time temps are going to be in the 30's or lower, I bring these with me. For 2 ounces they sure are nice.

I recommend investing in a really good sleeping setup. Stone Glacier make amazing bags in my opinion and I've been using their 0* bag for years. It's way too warm for early season at that elevation so this year I bought their quilt and I'll be using that at the elevation you're going into. I tend to sleep in my base layers at a minimum anyways so you can always layer up.

Hnthrdr

WKR
High probability of being super uncomfortable you won’t die, but I doubt you will sleep or have a good time. I have a cosmo 40, I use it at firehouses when I rove. My go to bags are a big Agnes 15 and a kifaru slick bag 0. I think a 0-15 degree would suit you well. Big Agnes makes a nice little down zip in in liner that raised the temp rating by a few degrees as well

Mudd Foot

WKR
If you sleep in a puffy, you might be able to make the bag work. In my experience, however, temperatures dip into the 20s frequently that time depending on elevation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk