Mid October Colorado boot

Ryno

FNG
Looking for a new set of boots for my mid October colorado hunt. Planned on wearing my trusty Rocky boots, but after another look I better not risk it after several seasons of use. Figure I need to jump on it now to get them broke in. Wondering what recommendations for insulation you guys have. This is my first trip out west and I'm not familiar with mountain boots/quality whatsoever. I wear red wing work boots everyday and have a store locally if that helps. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

topher89

WKR
A lot of the guys over on the Kifaru forum wear the Salomon Quest 4d GTXs. I picked up a pair at the beginning of the summer and they have been great. They need minimal break-in time and are extremely solid.

a3dhunter

WKR
I would look for something all leather for mid October, with the chance of snow.
Asolo Sasslong, Zamberlan Vioz 1006, or Lowa Ranger gtx depending on what fits your foot.
Meindl makes some good boots as well, can be found at Cabelas.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I use Irish Setters. Full Leather with waterproof insert. They are great. Comfortable. Bit of a break in but they now fit like a glove.

OP
Ryno

Ryno

FNG
Thanks for the input. I'm going to go try the Irish setters and go from there. I can drive 2 hours to a cabelas and try out the meindles. Realistically from there order and hope for the best? Does Lathrop & Sons do returns to help with some of the harder to find brands?

Jonboy71

FNG
I have the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme Non-insulated boots, they are awesome, waterproof and they breath great, I'll wear a lightweight smartwool sock in the summer and early season and then switch to a medium weight smartwool sock for late archery, Oct & Nov I'll add a liner to the medium weight sock and I've had no issues, plus I tend to have cold feet, For any later time of the year I'd problalby go with 400 grams of insulation. They due require some break-in, Kenetrek recommends 50 miles, but I think they were fitting great at 20 miles, which only took a couple of weeks of walking the dogs!!

OP
Ryno

Ryno

FNG
I ended up getting some Danner Pronghorn GTX with Lathrop insoles. I got the uninsulated and some pairs of their darn tuff socks. Wore them around very little yesterday and they feel really good. Hope to put some miles on them soon.

I ended up getting some Danner Pronghorn GTX with Lathrop insoles. I got the uninsulated and some pairs of their darn tuff socks. Wore them around very little yesterday and they feel really good. Hope to put some miles on them soon.
I'm almost ashamed to admit how often I pass over my La Sportivas, Asolos, Kaylands, and Lowas, to grab the Pronghorns when hiking and hunting.