Mid layer hoodie help

fullstrut

FNG
any recommendations on solid mid layer merino hoodie for rifle elk season? Temps could be single digits to 50s. Looking for mid layer to go over a pair or two of merino baselayers with a FL unc puffy for jacket

BBob

WKR
Not merino but a really popular one is a Kuiu 97. That’s my #1 and I’ll wear it over 1-2 light merino base layers. I still wear that combo when it gets really cold but will add a Sitka Arrowhead MDWi hoody over those. I believe the MDWi is very similar to the above mentioned Ambient.

Poser

WKR
I've used a FL Sawtooth quite a bit and find it practical as a mid layer while wearing a pack. The insulation is over the chest and shoulders, but not on the back where your pack insulates. (I wear the crap out of this layer during the uphill portion of backcountry skiing).

Out of practical consideration of not having to mess with a blaze orange vest, I started using the Kuiu Peloton 240 in blaze orange during rifle season. I get so annoyed with taking a bino harness and a blaze vest on and off for the near constant layer swaps during rifle seasons that anything I can do to eliminate any step of that process makes the experience more enjoyable. The only downside to this layer is that it does not have pit zips for some reason. I may have some added though.

I used a Kuiu Guide jacket for quite a few years, but its since been relegated to being a truck jacket. Its comfortable, but doesn't do any one thing particularly well.

The Origin wool ninja hoodie is pretty nice. I used mine all last season. Plan to have it as my primary outer layer September thru mid October

mthayr

WKR
Sitka Mountain Evo would be my suggestion - designed for exactly the situation you described.

Black Ovid has a mid weight merino hoody. It’s on sale at Camofire a lot. I love mine.. but heavier merino takes forever to dry out if you sweat in it a lot. I prefer a merino base then using a synthetic like the Kuiu Peloton 200 hoody. It wicks and drys better

No way I'd be stacking up to 3 merino layers. I use SG merino base, KUIU 97, SG waffle fleece or KUIU 240 if needed and then a puffy for sedentary use.

Kuiu pro 200. On sale for $80 right now.

FWIW kuiu 97 is crazy warm for its weight and more breathable IMO. Grid fleece like the Sitka heavy weight are my go to for that roll and I have a growing love affair with my Sitka ambient pieces. More warmth for weight by far.

stump06

WKR
Sounds like you want the Pro merino 200 from Kuiu. Its a good base/mid layer.
I would also recommend the Peloton 97, the warmth to weight ratio is amazing and I wear it often when the temps drop.
Both are on sale right now
Black Ovis has some great merino for the price you can find it often on campfire.

Sitka Fanatic is my favorite piece of clothing. Can wear by itself or mid layer. I would wear it 24/7 if I could…

Might be a little warm for your needs, but the furnace hoody from first lite is a awesome mid layer for when it gets pretty cold. For something lighter, I almost always have some sort of grid fleece or waffle fleece mid layer on. Lots of options out there for those.

young7.3

WKR
This is handy. Op post back with what you bought and how you like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
An active “mid layer” for me should breathe and dry relatively quickly. This means waffle or “grid” fleece. I also use this piece in hot weather as well with nothing underneath it as it breathes amazingly. Makes for a great super active and breathable layer while packing as well when it’s cold out. Also works in Arizona as a breathable sun shade while glassing. It’s great around a camp fire as well to take the chill off, especially with the hold. Probably one of the most used and versatile pieces of clothing.

IMG_2500.jpeg

The best one out there right now is the Patagonia R1 Air Hoody. Size up one if you want to layer underneath it.