Mid/Late Season Camo Outerwear Kit

I joined my family last season for the 1st time and plan to go again this season. Last year I was able to borrow an extra outerwear set but would like to purchase my own for this season. I've been reading a bunch of forums and know everyone has their own opinion but would like to get your opinion for what I am debating between.

We are hunt whitetail in upstate PA in November from tree stands. Average temperature is below 32. Sometime there is snow or rain. I will most likely only wear the gear the one long weekend a year.

I want to make sure I am warm and if it is wet, dry. For the full kit including solid base layers and boots I want to stay below $1,000 - $1,200.

1st Option: Cabela Special
- RedHead Silent Stalker Elite Parka
- RedHead Silent Stalker Elite Bibs

2nd Option: First Lite
- SANCTUARY 2.0 INSULATED JACKET
- SANCTUARY 2.0 INSULATED BIB PANT

3rd Option?

I also hunt PA, mostly the western/north western areas. The first lite option you listed would treat you well. Another good option is some of the gear from Code of Silence. They have some windproof berber fleece jacket and bibs that are perfect for treestand hunting in the cold.

SloppyJ

WKR
There's a friends and family deal going on through Sitka right now for 40% off. Maybe someone will hook you up with a code. Below 32 with any sort of wind and I'm wearing my Fanatic set with some wool base layers underneath to walk in with. Throw the bibs and jacket on at the stand.

Warmer than that and I'm going with the Stratus bibs and jacket with more layering under it.

I tried FL before they did the windstopper thing and I was not a fan of wearing 6 layers just to go sit in a tree. Maybe that's changed by now, maybe not. However, their Kiln hoody is one of my favorites and I use their base layers.

If you're only concerned with that temp range, get the fanatic set and some wool base layers and you'll be fine. If you want more versatility, go with the Stratus but you'll have to buy more layers to stay warm IMO.

OP
A
I also hunt PA, mostly the western/north western areas. The first lite option you listed would treat you well. Another good option is some of the gear from Code of Silence. They have some windproof berber fleece jacket and bibs that are perfect for treestand hunting in the cold.
Thank you for responding. Ill look into Code of Silence.

How do most people handle waterproofing? Do you just add a rain jacket on top?

To get water proofing it looks like I have to do up a category with FL or Sitka. The Redhead looks to be waterproof in addition to windproof and insulated.

Dave_S

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had good luck with the sanctuary set. Only time I’ve gotten cold was sitting on the ground for about 7 hours with a very thin pad. I think the cold ground just sucks the heat out of you no matter what. As for water proof layers, I really haven’t needed to worry about rain if it was cold enough to wear the sanctuary, but just keep an eye out for sales from any reputable brand and buy a rain set with enough room to get some layers underneath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A
There's a friends and family deal going on through Sitka right now for 40% off. Maybe someone will hook you up with a code. Below 32 with any sort of wind and I'm wearing my Fanatic set with some wool base layers underneath to walk in with. Throw the bibs and jacket on at the stand.

Warmer than that and I'm going with the Stratus bibs and jacket with more layering under it.

I tried FL before they did the windstopper thing and I was not a fan of wearing 6 layers just to go sit in a tree. Maybe that's changed by now, maybe not. However, their Kiln hoody is one of my favorites and I use their base layers.

If you're only concerned with that temp range, get the fanatic set and some wool base layers and you'll be fine. If you want more versatility, go with the Stratus but you'll have to buy more layers to stay warm IMO.
Thank you for responding. I've looked a Sitka a bit and would love to pull the trigger but the undiscounted price is more than I want to spend for a long weekend a year.

How do you handle waterproofing with the Fanatic set? Do you throw a rain jacket on top? It looks like you would have to go up to an Aerolite jacket to get all three features (Water, Wind, and insulation)

Ho5tile1

WKR
I’m also a fan of the Sitka fanatic set it’s awesome. If it’s gonna be wet maybe look at the Incinerator Aerolite set. Kuiu has the proximity set that I use a lot as well but it’s not as warm as the Sitka stuff imo but with base layers it’s not bad just depends how cold or hot you run.. good luck

2531usmc

WKR
The old Cabela’s brand clothing was excellent quality at a reasonable price, but their newer red-head line is low end Chinese junk

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a Sitka guy. If it's cold enough for the Fanatic set you've got snow and not rain. I'm from SW PA but live in Lancaster County currently. I've hunted Potter numerous years as well. The Stratus or Fanatic will handle it all. Fanatic with a base and mid layer below 35 for me. Stratus with a heavy merino base and heavier weight mid even a Fanatic hoody will get you a long way depending on how cold you run.

OP
A
The old Cabela’s brand clothing was excellent quality at a reasonable price, but their newer red-head line is low end Chinese junk
This is a shame since the gear I used last season was probably older Cabela stuff and I was decently warm.

OP
A
I'm a Sitka guy. If it's cold enough for the Fanatic set you've got snow and not rain. I'm from SW PA but live in Lancaster County currently. I've hunted Potter numerous years as well. The Stratus or Fanatic will handle it all. Fanatic with a base and mid layer below 35 for me. Stratus with a heavy merino base and heavier weight mid even a Fanatic hoody will get you a long way depending on how cold you run.
We hunt in Bradford County. Last year was in the 20ish and a decent breeze but it was dry but who knows with the weather. I would 100% go with the Sitka if I could get it on sale. Is there a historical time when the Fantic or Aerolite is on sale, maybe Labor Day?

The Sanctuary 2.0 Jacket and Bib would run me $570 vs the $938 the Fanatic would cost. The difference is a decent pair of boots.

This is a shame since the gear I used last season was probably older Cabela stuff and I was decently warm.
So I beleive the Code of Silence stuff was developed by the guy who helped create the Cabela's Wooltimate llne which I think you are talking about. Berber fleece, windproof gear. The vest I got last season is extremely warm.

cgavason

FNG
Check out Huntworth. I an in PA also. We hunt 2 miles from our vehicle. Walk in light and layer up. Huntworth Skaskatoon coat is great at blocking any wind. It is very economical compared to Sitka and FL. My son also uses their bibs.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know if you would want the Fanatic bibs, even at 20 degrees. They're pretty bulky to carry far and much too warm to walk a long way while wearing. I usually layer with a heavy merino bottom, Equinox midi and Timberline pants unless windy then it's the Stratus bibs. I'll sit all day if possible but I spend most of my time within 300 yards of the house so I don't get too warm walking in unzipped.

I have a still great set of Walls 10x parka and bibs I got in 2000. They are impenetrable by mother nature but you can't walk 100 feet before you are overheating. I have sat in Potter Co snow squalls with several inches of snow piled on my legs and never wet through or got cold. But boy, shoot a deer and have to carry your outerwear out to go back for the deer... and the deer always dies at the bottom of the ravine and the truck is always at the top, right? You would have a similar issue with Fanatic weight stuff, a fortress but impractical to wear and exert at the same time.

I hate layers, the less, the better for me. I'd rather a heavier mid layer than outer if I can layer correctly. The Stratus line offers more flexibility with most of what you may already own. I'm sure FL has similar lines, I haven't kept up with their gear lately but you may do well there too.

A friend of mine likes the Cabela's Instinct line, on sale for the next month. He doesn't like heavy layers either and refuses to wear heavy weight jackets. He bought a nice battery heated vest for under $100 that he swears by. That might work for you, instant heat to warm up yet lighter weight and you can go a bit lighter on the outerwear. Heated socks are fantastic and I use them when it gets below 40 but my feet run cold all the time.

I'm at Sitka guy as well. Wool base layers, Fanatic hoody , Celcius midi pants topped with the Stratus set can take me through most of the season in Upper Michigan. I pack in the Fanatic vest on morning below 40 that has been a game changer to cut the chill.

OP
A
So I beleive the Code of Silence stuff was developed by the guy who helped create the Cabela's Wooltimate llne which I think you are talking about. Berber fleece, windproof gear. The vest I got last season is extremely warm.
Code of Silence looks solid - I am just not 100% sold on the full fleece as the outerwear. I feel like they would get full of burs and other debris.

OP
A
Anyone want to hook me up with a Stika friend and family discount code that is going on right now? I would try to get my non hunting father-in-law to sign up since he is retired coast guard but that might cause more conversation and questions then it is worth. I was hoping I would qualify as prior EMS but its only for active members.

KY_coop

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the kuiu encounter and proximity line. I've got the pants and love them if I had a need for another jacket that's what I'd be buying.

Gray wolf woolens may be worth a look. The quality/durability has been fantastic and they can customize fit it to your exact measurements. I hunt in northern Indiana and upstate NY and their insulated gear keeps me plenty warm. The insulated wool vest of theirs is my favorite piece of insulated camo gear I own.