Micros in wind

Zac

WKR
I shot in high winds today at 50, and 60 yards. I have an Altra .166, 3 Blazers with very mild helical, and 155 up front. I kept aiming off and seeming to hit behind my pin. I was able to smack a 4 inch dot at 50, and 60 by aiming right on. I was not shooting a broadhead. I’ve always thought the wind bucking thing was a myth. Anyone else expierenced this?

3forks

WKR
How much was the wind affecting your shot process? In my opinion, your arrow will be less affected by wind as the wind is affecting you trying to fight to hold on target while aiming and executing your shot.

If you’re trying to time your shot so that your shot breaks in between gusts or have to basically command fire, that’s what I think affects your arrow more.

• Banned
OP
Z

Zac

WKR
How much was the wind affecting your shot process? In my opinion, your arrow will be less affected by wind as the wind is affecting you trying to fight to hold on target while aiming and executing your shot.

If you’re trying to time your shot so that your shot breaks in between gusts or have to basically command fire, that’s what I think affects your arrow more.
No I was trying to get data so I wasn’t timing anything. I just put a lot more tension into the bow. Seems to work well as long as the quiver isn’t on. I have a 12 inch front bar with 4 oz on it.

Bump79

WKR
That's a good setup. Personally, I didn't notice that micros grouped that much better than even standard. This is due to me shooting in the wind and it's so tough to stay steady. I still shoot micros or 5mm though.

Reactions: Zac
I don't shoot Micro's, I have .204's for my field shafts, they are a lot better than 23 series after 50 yards in the wind, but I really don't notice much difference from a .246 standard shaft to a .204 in the wind.

Broadheads change stuff a good bit, but the issue seems to be holding the bow steady in winds that are going to push an arrow.

Colobwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not sure if a 5mm is considered micro these days but that’s what I shoot and they do good in the wind. I’ve been thinking that the wind at hunting distances is not the issue that the arrow manufacturers make it out to be, it’s more being able to execute a good shot while being blown around.

My 30" Easton 6.5s shot fine in the wind. No excessive wind drift at 60 yards (about the furthest I can shoot properly)

My issue is controlling the bow in those 15+ MPH winds. It's like holding onto a kite.

dtrkyman

WKR
I shoot in the wind regularly here, wide open desert range, while the micro shafts do have a small advantage the ability to hold or lack there if is the real problem, unless you start shooting 23s or bigger at long distance which is not very common.

A heavier arrow will drift less as well, 155 up front on a .166 would be pretty much ideal for bucking the wind!

Beendare

WKR
The shaft helps for sure…but when you have BH and fletch…its not enough of a positive to offset the negatives of the 4mm components

Tilzbow

WKR
My experience is the same as most others when shooting my skinny arrows from my compound and as 5 miles pointed out FBBH amplify wind drift dramatically. I’ve also noticed when shooting my longbows in a crosswind that the point normally hits close to the spot while the 5” x 3 feathered end gets pushed sideways but the heavier front end really bucks the wind. Add a FBBH and both ends drift a lot.

Beendare

WKR
My experience is the same as most others when shooting my skinny arrows from my compound and as 5 miles pointed out FBBH amplify wind drift dramatically. I’ve also noticed when shooting my longbows in a crosswind that the point normally hits close to the spot while the 5” x 3 feathered end gets pushed sideways but the heavier front end really bucks the wind. Add a FBBH and both ends drift a lot.

Yeah, no kidding….I used to shoot 4” feathers in my recurve and at our range with a 15mph cross wind I could see those arrows angling their way to the target.

Fletch is supposed to create drag…for stabilization…it just has the added negative of catching the wind. Thus, tune your bow so you can use the minimum fletch with BHs.

The 4mm shafts are fine….as long as you use the expensive outserts and get them dead straight.

OP
Z

Zac

WKR
Yeah, no kidding….I used to shoot 4” feathers in my recurve and at our range with a 15mph cross wind I could see those arrows angling their way to the target.

Fletch is supposed to create drag…for stabilization…it just has the added negative of catching the wind. Thus, tune your bow so you can use the minimum fletch with BHs.

The 4mm shafts are fine….as long as you use the expensive outserts and get them dead straight.
I almost feel like Blazers do better in the wind than those tiny vanes, but it is purely subjective.