Micro Stabilizer Setup Opinions

AAE Mountain Series 10”. And put my Mathews 6” on back.

How much is too big for backcountry hunting (elk)?

OP
N

nkgillil

FNG
ended up getting a deal on a set of shrewd vantages. Hopefully like them

Nwmod39

FNG
Look at Podium Archer.

He has a new stabilizer ....

Chape1rm

Lil-Rokslider
Tap DOAs are super nice. I'm running 10 and 10 on my VXR 31.5. The mounts lock up super tight and have titanium hardware. Sam is a good dude. Chatted bows and setups for quite a while and he can recommend lengths for what bow your running.

OP
N

nkgillil

FNG
Look at Podium Archer.

He has a new stabilizer ....

those podiums do look nice! didnt say anything diameter size on page tho

Titanium Archery Products are a decent deal pricewise. Pretty stiff. I went to a 15" front, 12" back from the BeeStinger 10/8 combo (Still in use on my other bow) I have been very happy with the setup. No bling and pretty effective. The weights are smaller diameter than the Bee Stinger weights also.

View attachment 572896
Do you hunt with this setup or just 3d / target stuff? If you ground hunt how hard is it to get through the bush with the 15" stab on it?

I use a 15/8 inch Aae mountain and may switch to a 12.
Thinking 6 inch back bar.
One thing I like most about the 12-15 front is I use it to carry over shoulder and when ground hunting it keeps my arrow off the ground.

Do you hunt with this setup or just 3d / target stuff? If you ground hunt how hard is it to get through the bush with the 15" stab on it?
I have not hunted with these stabs yet, but my old bee stingers were almost as long by the time you added all the quick releases and weights, etc.. Never had any issues with those. I don't treestand hunt a lot any more and mostly spot and stalk. Longer stabs have never been an issue to me. We had rifle deer tags in CO this year versus our normal archery elk tag so haven't hunted with this particular setup.

I have not hunted with these stabs yet, but my old bee stingers were almost as long by the time you added all the quick releases and weights, etc.. Never had any issues with those. I don't treestand hunt a lot any more and mostly spot and stalk. Longer stabs have never been an issue to me. We had rifle deer tags in CO this year versus our normal archery elk tag so haven't hunted with this particular setup.
That's awesome. I figured it might get caught up on everything walking through heavy timber and what not. I wanted to put a larger stab on mine up front and a side stab but haven't due to wondering if it would hinder me more than provide stability and lessen my pin float. I appreciate your help.

That's awesome. I figured it might get caught up on everything walking through heavy timber and what not. I wanted to put a larger stab on mine up front and a side stab but haven't due to wondering if it would hinder me more than provide stability and lessen my pin float. I appreciate your help.
To be fair, I took the side stab off my previous bow for the '22 season. I was trying to lighten my setup up a bit. The longer stabs allow for that some. I am currently running 3 oz up front and 7 in the back for 3d and target, but usually drop some of the weights off prior to and during hunting season as I won't shoot as far and can deal with a touch less stability. I'll be going back away from the bow quiver most likely this season as well. and running a hip or back quiver. I used to do that for many years.

nphunter

WKR
How much is too big for backcountry hunting (elk)?

IMO they are all too big for back-country elk. I have an extendable stabilizer for my bow but when elk hunting it normally stays in the bowcase. The accuracy gains inside of 60 yards are very minimal but the extra fatigue from packing another lb around the woods on my bow all season is very noticeable.

Out of the 7 bulls I've killed in the last 10 years I only had a stabilizer on for two and that was just an 8" Hoyt carbon blade which was more for looks than function. The average shot distance was 48 yards. I've also been shooting carbon bows for the last 9 years so they have been relatively lightweight as well.

I know people use big stabilizers and sidebars for hunting but I cannot imagine having to carry all of that extra weight for such little reward personally. If I sat a stand a lot it would be one thing but running around the woods all day I wouldn't want the weight penalty.

AkRyan

WKR
I've started to run side bars vs front and back. I find it is a much easier setup to tune in and the weigh is actually where you need it. Never under stood adding weight to the front and back.

V-TRAIN

WKR
For hunting I use a 24" Conquest Micro 450 on one bow and a B-Stinger 27" Micro Hex on another.
I run both in a B-stinger counter slide bracket, and mount it down really low.
I don't think I will go back to a dual bar setup for hunting.
20221015_175848.jpg